Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had an issue when I tried to open my car first thing in the morning, it wouldn't open on the fob or by using the key in the drivers door, I eventually got in with the key after about 5 minutes, there were no lights on in the car but when I turned the key in the ignition the car started. I thought it was a one off but today it has done the same thing twice, once this morning & again when I went out at lunchtime. I could understand the fob not working if there was a power issue but then why would the car start? And why did it take so long to open on the key? I have two sets of keys and had the same results with both. I could effectively be completely locked out of my car and I work in some bad areas & estates where I wouldn't want to be stuck . Can you please advise? I am going to take the battery off when I get home to make sure that it is fully charged but I don't believe this is the cause of the problem as the car starts first turn.

Super Moderator
Hi & Welcome.

What age Sportage are we looking at?
As unlocking via key can be hard as they never get used. Could be the ariel in the door that is not picking your key fobs given no lights in car, but when key in ignition there is. Which would tend to say the batteries in fob are Ok as car starts.

Sounds like a trip to dealer if in warranty.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi & Welcome.

What age Sportage are we looking at?
As unlocking via key can be hard as they never get used. Could be the ariel in the door that is not picking your key fobs given no lights in car, but when key in ignition there is. Which would tend to say the batteries in fob are Ok as car starts.

Sounds like a trip to dealer if in warranty.
Thanks for your response, unfortunately it's a 2011 model so now out of warranty. All I can do for now is check the batteries I can't afford a garage at present.

Registered
Change the battery in one key fob and see if that makes the difference or if you keep using the key to get in, the lock will free up with use.
the battery in the key powers ir sender to tell the car to unlock if the key battery is low this may not work, you can also get a fault with the ir aerial not seeing the key signal then the central locking wont work,
its unlikely to be the cars 12v battery as the engine started on the key.
a auto electrician can often be the cheapest way to get this fixed.

Registered
2012 Sporatge 2.0 CRDi KX-3
It sounds like the key battery to me, it wont be the cars' battery as it will start. Oh and the car doesn't rely on the fob battery for starting, it uses a transponder chip in the key.. similar to the ones they stick in your pets necks... they self power, without a battery, when an electromagnetic signal is passed over them... in the case of Fido, the car has the sender around the steering lock which reads the key as you go to use it.

As far difficulty getting goes, might I suggest a little oil in the lock... like WD40 !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts