Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a new user of this forum in Malta.

I have ordered a new 2011Sportage on the 6th June, and when placing my order was told that i would be able to drive it approximately in September, "if not before". Last week contacted the dealer since it was time to start gearing up, and was told that I would be lucky if I got it for Christmas.

The reason being that the factory in Slovakia is not coping with the demand and the wait times have been increased. I didn't really swallow this reason!

Does anyone has any information about this matter please?

Here in Malta we drive on the same side as the UK (wheel on the right hand side when looking from the back), models have different codes here, there are mainly two models, the EX and LX 1.7 diesel engines. Actually I forgot which one is mine but its the fully accessorised one with leather seats, bluetooth, keyless entry and startbla bla bla.

Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi there. i ordered my sportage mid october and was given delivery date approx end of may 2012. i live in cyprus and we also drive on the right hand side.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">
i cant understand the very long waiting list myself. is there such a backlog of orders for sportages, or is there a problem with production lines in slovakia?
anyway, read a few days ago that they are recruiting 1000 new workers at the plant and bringing in a 3 shift to increase production, so im hoping that delivery will be sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have thought of that. dont think it will be cheaper but definatly quicker, thats for sure.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">
ill be in london next month, so i think ill check it out whilst im there.... thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello PPL,

I'm still without my new Sportage and my 14 year old Nissan is complaining very badly that I had to change her brake pads. Obviously since its going to the scrapyard I never did any maintenance since last June when I ordered the Sportage.

I have checked about getting a new one in the UK and bringing it over to Malta. I would save 2000 euro on the price paid in Malta, however I would lose the 7 year warranty. I know it says that the warranty covers you in the whole of Europe but this is Malta and they will find a way out for sure, sometimes they even find a way out when you buy the car from them let alone when you don't.

If you (Cyprus guy) ordered in October and they said you will get it in May its the same as Malta then 7 months wait time. I ordered in June and supposed to be getting it for Christmas.

Good luck then, hope we both get it soon

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is autotrader.co.uk and also the Kia UK website lists the used cars they have for sale.

To the price you have to add the shipping costs and registration if you have it in Cyprus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also from Cyprus and there is on average a 7 - 8 month waiting time.I ordered my Sportage back in mid-May 2011 and was informed from the start that the delivery would be some time towards the end of January 2012....so hopefully should be here in a couple of weeks ;-)
It is true there are delays at the Slovakian plant due to high demand but also they were put back a bit due to the earthquake disaster in Japan as a few components came from the affected area.
In any case, as this was the car I wanted after test driving many similar category cars I was willing to wait for it. I think if you are going to pay so much money for a car it may as well be the one you want and not a substitute because it will be available sooner.
I alsoinquiredin the UK and was told the waiting time there was between 6 weeks to 3 months, plus it was more expensive in the UK then Cyprus???

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I doubt it is more expensive in the UK because you can shop around. We paid about £3000 less than the list price for the car we bought... and we got it quickly. I understand that there are only three dealerships in Cyprus and they are all owned by the same man so negotiating decent discount will be more difficult.

Unfortunately, buying in the UK and shipping to to Cyprus may create problems with the warranty so you would need to check with Kia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the offer to take it off me (even for a bit more) but I have waited for it for the past 7 months and not willing to sell it at the moment :)

Techno - when I say its more expensive in the UK, I compare like for like.
I compared a brand new 0 millage car from the Kia dealer in the UK and the same modle I ordered. The car in the UK was around GBP500 more then the same Euro price here. Mine was 17,900 euros plus I added a few extras and I came up to 18,500 euros. In the UK, the same comparison came to GBP19,000. When you add the current exchange rate it comes to 22,700 euros and then you need to add shipping. So you see its not really worth paying around 5000 euros more to get the car 3 months faster with my budgeting??

·
Registered
31 Posts
thats exactly what i found out when looking in to buying from uk and shipping to cyprus. and as techno said, theres only the one dealer in cyprus so no chance of negotiating better deal on price or delivery dates. what have you ordered satcyp?<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Registered
31 Posts
nice. mine is in black. bthw, i popped into the dealers here in nicosia 2 days ago with a couple of questions about accessories. while talking they mentioned that they are expecting delivery of at least 15 cars on the 15th of this month, so hopefully one of those cars will be yours.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
SatCyp I understand what you are saying about the price comparison. However, it is very rare for anybody in the UK to pay the full list price for a car because there is a lot of competition amongst the dealers. We visited three or four dealers but the best that we were offered was £1000 discount so we decided to use a broker (they do the searching and negotiation for a fee.) In the end we saved £3500 off the list price of the car and paid a fee of £190 to the broker.

I think shipping to Cyprus worked out at about £750 when I last looked into it. I'm not sure if that shipping company still operates though.

All things considered, it is still probably a lot simpler to pay full price to your local dealer and wait.

·
Registered
31 Posts
well, either way your long days of waiting are coming to an end. ive still got a lot of waiting to do
. i ordered mid october and was given end of may delivery time but with introduction of the 3rd shift in slovakia plant i might get it a month or so sooner. anyway, i know a couple of sportage owners here in nicosia, maybe we can form a sportage owners club and have annual meetings or something?<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

1 - 20 of 32 Posts