Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Sorento KX2 manual, an intermittent problem has developed with the cruise control. It switches on OK but intermittently will not engage (set). Dealer unable to locate probem, it worked on the test drive! Anyone else having this problem, I have emailed KIA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dear Free to Roam
I think there is a genuine problem with some cruise control systems. Have a look on the Hyundai Santa Fe owners site and you will see lots of posts there.

I think they are holding a pole of owners and then they intend to contact Hyundai.

Regards
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I purchased a KX2 Sorento in March 2011 with just under 5000 miles on the clock. The cruise control has never worked properly. My garage had it in and fitted a new switch under the clutch but this did not cure the problem. It was taken in again and I was told it was a known fault and that Kia Technical Department were working on it in Korea and that my car had been registered with them as having this problem. It has not worked at all for the past 3 weeks but yesterday worked once!!! What use is a 7 year warranty if nothing is done?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was beginning to think that I was the only 2011 Sorento owner who had this problem.

I also have the problem that the cruise control will not set all of the time. I turn the cruise control on, get to the speed I want and press
the Set button but some times nothing happens. I then have to press the Cancel
button and then press the Set button and the cruise control will then
set. Also, pressing the SET (-) button to reduce speed once the cruise
control is set will some times cut the cruise control off. The cruise
control light does not go off but you have to reset the speed. My dealer says they cannot duplicate my problem and cannot fix it until it completely breaks. What can we do?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please and thank you very much. I truly appreciate any help that I can get on this issue. I have 54,000 miles on my car so I'm soon approaching 60,000 mile warranty limit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
murphwiz mentioned a bulletin on the issue of the cruise control not working properly all of the time on KIA Sorentos. Does anyone else know about this bulletin and how I can get a copy of it? Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just sent the below-message to woohoo who responded to a question on the Sorento cruise control issue a year ago:

[Dear woohoo, I too am having a problem with my cruise control not
setting properly or cutting off some of the time [2011 KIA Sorento LX
(6A/I-4)]. You mention a bulletin:JC042 / AS187 ECM Upgrade - Sorento
(BL) 2.5 VGT Auto Cruise Control System. Do you mean "ECM" or "ECU"
Upgrade? And how can I get a copy of this bulletin? I just don't trust
my dealer to come forward with it. Thanks for whatever help you can give
me.]

Can someone out there please help me in getting a copy of this bulletin? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, murphwiz. But what about the bulletin you mentioned concerning the Kia Sorento cruise control issue? Is it:

<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->JC042 / AS187 ECM Upgrade - Sorento (BL) 2.5 VGT
Auto Cruise Control System? And do you know how I can get a copy of the bulletin? Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry, murphwiz. I did not read the bulletin closely enough to see that it is talking about the ECM upgrade that does not apply to my 2011 Kia Sorento. My best bet now is a faulty cruise control switch on the steering wheel. Do you know anything about that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have exactly the same problem on my KX-2, purchased as ex demonstrator in Sept 2011 with 2250 miles on the clock. The dealer tried to fob me off by telling me I had to press the brake before engaging Cruise Control. It was on my third visit to his workshop that he finally admitted that Kia say they have a software problem but couldn't say when it will be fixed. I contacted Kia Customer Service & they said the same. I have written to Auto Express as they had an article a week ago about an Audi owner with a software problem. Unlike Kia, Audi solved the problem quickly. Kia don't seem to care. What use is a 7 year warranty if they can't fix the problem? Pretty poor show by Kia. I've given them appropriate scores in the Auto Express Drivers survey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info, bakop100. I think the intermittent problem with the cruise control not setting all of the time is either a switch problem or software problem. I am now leaning toward the software problem. I bet KIA corrected the problem for the 2012 Sorento but does not want to correct it for us 2011 owners because it would cost too much and be a negative for their reputation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reading all the complaints in the forum & Kia's "don't want to know" attitude, which was my own experience & is reported by many, I am questioning my decision to buy a Kia. I am writing to Trading Standards & the Motoring Press. Potential owners should be aware of the problems & very poor treatment they get when they buy a Kia. Would I buy another? No way!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fear not i have heard that there is an ECU upgrade to fix cruise problems due to be relaesed in the next few weeks. i would recommend chatting to your Kia garage in a week or so.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts