Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Sedona after sitting for 3-4 days it will not start. The battery was replaced in July 2021 and alternator in April 2021.

It sit from Thanksgiving night to Sunday evening almost 72 hours and the battery voltage was down to 7.5 V.

This is the 3rd-4th time this has happened and it will start after jumping and the battery is pulling 14v when running

If we use the van daily we have had no issues.

After sitting one night the battery still shows 12.7V.

Has anyone had this issue before?

One idea I had is to disconnect the battery and let it sit for 3-4 days just to verify the battery is working.

We have double checked all the light switches etc but will again to verify.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
I had he same problem. only worse ,I disconnected the battery negative and connected an ammeter from the negative battery to the negative battery lead and noted 500ma. This is too much so something was draining the battery. I pulled a fuse out and noted the current. If it didn't change that circuit was fine so I replaced that fuse. Then went to the next one etc.I came to the radio fuse and noted a lesser drain when I pulled the fuse out. So I read up on it and it seems its not too uncommon for a radio fault to drain the battery. You may lose the radio once you reconnect and have to enter a code. I don't have one but my radio is no good if it flattens the battery so I took it out. Things improved but like you I still got a semi flat battery after 36 hours. So I started pulling fuses again and found a big drain caused by the "memory" fuse by the drivers knees. When I took this out and left it out my car was fine.The drain went down to only 75ma which I understand is normal. However that fuse connects the central locking to the key fob so I then couldn't use the fob to lock or unlock the car but did it with the key in the drivers door. A nuisance.
All this suggests my central locking module is leaking current while the car is locked up and parked. I decided to take out the module and run it down to the main agent to order me a new one. I spent hours and hours looking for it, taking the whole dashboard to bits and looking under the bonnet and in the rear panel where there are more fuses and relays but couldn't see it anywhere. Kia main dealer parts man said it is in the drivers door, but it isn't as I took that all to bits too. So I will next look in the passenger door when I get a fine afternoon.
Hope this helps, if you are not too handy it is standard proceedure for a garage to pull fuses one at a time while watching an ammeter to locate your parasitic drain. Try googling it if I have not been too clear here. You need to find which circuit is causing the drain and then decide what to do about it. Or like me you will have to disconnect the battery every night which can cause more problems. I have come to hate modern over fangled cars!! Good luck and please report back if you fix it so we can all benefit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I spent hours and hours looking for it, taking the whole dashboard to bits and looking under the bonnet and in the rear panel where there are more fuses and relays but couldn't see it anywhere. Kia main dealer parts man said it is in the drivers door, but it isn't as I took that all to bits too. So I will next look in the passenger door when I get a fine afternoon.
Did you find it?
Fluid Gas Cylinder Auto part Tool
The central locking relays are in the ETACS module in the centre console underneath the gear stick.this video shows it.
Kia Sedona 2006 central locking not working. ETACS repair.
Good luck.

Cheers.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Hi all, i'm french.

Another possility is the bad quality of the negative connection to the métal of the car.

I've got the same issue, battery drain, no start issue, front light variation... my local kia dealer have changed all the negative cable go to the metal of the car and upgrade the point of connection metal / cable.

Everything go right now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts