Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, new to this so bare with me, I have a 2011 Kia Sportage 1.7crdi and my car Has an error code which is U1111 negative battery sensor fault, I replaced the sensor myself and left for 4 hours, code remained so had Kia replace it again and the after driving home and leaving for 4 hours the fault code still remains, they then asked me to fully charge the battery via trickle and leave 4 hours again which again has remained unsuccessful, it’s due to go back Monday to have the wiring traced back, however does anyone have any idea what could be the issue?

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Did garage clear the fault code with their software?
My understanding of error codes is that they need to be cleared or they will simply remain. That is my experience with previous cars.

What are you using to check the codes?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, they didn’t remove the code as it requires a 4 hour sit and wait for the sensor to reset which would then automatically clear the code if the fault had been corrected, I have 3 scanners no will clear the code, my local garage can’t remove it on theirs either

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Looking at the problem and with some investigation because of my problem on my venga.. there are 2 switches on the clutch pedal..one for starting the car and the other interacts with ISG [ push pedal down to restart engine when stopped ] and also it interacts with Cruz control and when that switch goes bad cruse does not work.. now I am wondering if its that switch causing your problem.. does your car have Cruze ? is it working ok ? maybe its this switch causing your problem and why the code wont clear

Now the code has popped up on your car I obviously dont have a defective cable sensor as I first thought but mine when starting is showing no light on the ISG switch when started but then when driven and I come to a halt the light on the switch turns on [Orange ].. drive again and the light goes off.. if I turn the isg off when starting it stays off [switch light orange ] until I turn off the engine.. beginning to think now this second clutch pedal switch may have something to do with these problems that are popping up.. on my Venga I am unable to manually turn the ISG switch off..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aye car has cruise control, did have some intermittent issues with where when I’d adjust the speed by hand it would cut off, also fuel pressure and oil pressure codes flashed up however the last few months not an issue with anything other then the fault code, only think I can think of is, is that I’m losing voltage somewhere or my alternator is over charging, stop/start has never worked, and does have the light stuck on now because of the battery issue (must be registering as less then 75% tricking the ISG) car was in garage half year ago where wiring from alternator to battery was shorting and going to catch fire, I wonder if this maybe the issue again where the cable cover has smouldered away and it’s shorting against the car

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Aye car has cruise control, did have some intermittent issues with where when I’d adjust the speed by hand it would cut off, also fuel pressure and oil pressure codes flashed up however the last few months not an issue with anything other then the fault code, only think I can think of is, is that I’m losing voltage somewhere or my alternator is over charging, stop/start has never worked, and does have the light stuck on now because of the battery issue (must be registering as less then 75% tricking the ISG) car was in garage half year ago where wiring from alternator to battery was shorting and going to catch fire, I wonder if this maybe the issue again where the cable cover has smouldered away and it’s shorting against the car
Might be worth getting or doing a parasitic drain test.. to see if your loosing it somewhere..if you do let us know how you get on and what you find

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
No, they didn’t remove the code as it requires a 4 hour sit and wait for the sensor to reset which would then automatically clear the code if the fault had been corrected, I have 3 scanners no will clear the code, my local garage can’t remove it on theirs either
So that would say either the part that has been fitted is faulty or there is another issue and it is generating the same code or killing/making it read the neg battery sensor.

All other earth points clean & connecting OK?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So that would say either the part that has been fitted is faulty or there is another issue and it is generating the same code or killing/making it read the neg battery sensor.

All other earth points clean & connecting OK?
Yeah all clean and home, that was first port of call at Kia and the negative terminal had come loose so fresh bolt put on and retightend, the negative sensor has been changed twice now so 3 sensors in total so something else is throwing up the code in relation to the sensor which in my view can only come down to voltage, however I have noticed the last time it came out the EML would fade in an out as if something was fully connected, or pins weren’t correctly seated however, once turned off and on it would soon be a solid light again, it could also be an alternator issue but with connecting to a battery and alternator tester all came back fine sitting at 12v and 14.6v when running

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Could be a wiring issue, broken wire or one that has been rubbing against something and is now shorting to earth.

Have a look round the wires in the engine bay, not unknown for some to rub against the engine after not being replaced in their clips correctly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could be a wiring issue, broken wire or one that has been rubbing against something and is now shorting to earth.

Have a look round the wires in the engine bay, not unknown for some to rub against the engine after not being replaced in their clips correctly.
It’s going back into Kia on Monday for couple days for them to trace the wiring

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just had a call to Kia and they are still investigating the issue as when on the computer it no longer comes up with any fault Codes but the light remains on, along with the isg light, so they think it could be an issue with the ECU

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Just had a call to Kia and they are still investigating the issue as when on the computer it no longer comes up with any fault Codes but the light remains on, along with the isg light, so they think it could be an issue with the ECU
Wow if it is its going to be expensive.. well out of warranty.. sorry to hear this..:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow if it is its going to be expensive.. well out of warranty.. sorry to hear this..:(
If it is, then the cars basically a write off it won’t be viable replacing the ECU when the cars only worth about £2k, so it be a replacement motor, however I don’t see how the codes not there but the light is as before I took it in the code was coming up clearly on my units

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hit a bit of a snag, they think theirs an issue with the ECU however they haven’t a part to test and confirm this, theirs no parts available to order either what’s worse mot runs out 27th think it’s time to just get rid of it

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Hit a bit of a snag, they think theirs an issue with the ECU however they haven’t a part to test and confirm this, theirs no parts available to order either what’s worse mot runs out 27th think it’s time to just get rid of it

Gob smacked.. 😲 Might be possible to buy a second hand one and get that virginized..might be worth a punt I suppose..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.