Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a brand new 2011 Kia Soul. The sunroof leaks. We have made 3 trips to the dealership and they said it is the design of the sunroof and that water is supposed to come in thru the drain seals and exit thru the drain rails. Problem is while driving down the road in the rain, water streamed down my wifes head. When pouring water from a cup on the roof of the car water dripped on my seats. I can't drive inheavy rain or even take my car to a car wash. The dealership is acting like it is no big deal. Seriously ????? Do you know how much damage this will cause ?? How about the fogging of the windows on a hot day from all the water standing in the roofof the car. How about all the water damage this will end up causing from leaking on my leather seats and console ? I can't wait to see a load of snow melt on the roof!!! I can't believe a sunroof is 'supposed' to drain that much into the drain and slosh in to the car on our heads !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
disgraceful. Take it back and insist on a loaner and tell them you dont want to see the car again until its watertight.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Most sunroof drain tubes run down the A posts and the water runs out near to front of sills. In a 2011 the drain tubes should not be blocked, tho' this can happen in older cars.
Take it back as Tempest says and demand it to be sorted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the car in this morning. They gave me a rental. Last week they took down the headliner to evaluate the leak and said they fixed it. They called me to come get it and the headliner was filthy with black marks and hand prints. I said NO WAY and left it there. They called later that day and said they cleaned it. It was okay but the integrity of the liner is not the same. We are so upset. We showed them that pouring a 12 ounce cup of water on the sunroof brings water drizzling down on the seats. They said that was a lot of water to pour at one time....I'm losing my nerves!!The car is back up there today, like I said earlier, I told them fix it or give me ALL my money back. I have made phone calls all the way up the chain of command. Im tired of this. I live 45 minutes away from this dealership and im tired of going back and forth.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Despite what they say, there is obviously something wrong so I think you are right to dig in with the dealer. However, keep your cool as only you will get upset and they will stand back and watch. I think I would phone KIA US on 1-800 333 4542 and tell them you want the leak fixing anda new headlining or a new car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OMG! that's terrible. we just bought our 2011 Soul, and my wife called me to tell me the sunroof was leaking!!! i searched for any complaints, and sure enough i was directed here. thanx google. we've only had the car since 8/27, less than 2 weeks, and this is the first day it rained. i'm worried now that i'll have invoke the lemon law, which i think the car has to have had the problem a while, and the dealer has attempted to fix it at least 3 times, correct me if i'm wrong. let's keep this post moving.
Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep u need to take it in 3 times and document everything. I am so pissed I can't even describe my emotions. We poured a simple cup of water on the sunroof and water came down on the drivers seat. Taking turns in the rain and water drizzles on our head. Go to a car wash and watch it pour in. Absolutely the biggest let down. Love the car but BIG defect and nobody knows how to fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hope i don't have to go show the dealer 3 different times. i would think if the dealer can see the water pouring in, it would be safe to assume it will continue pouring in the next time it rains. geez, are they kidding? my car is only 10 days old, and the leather interior isn't going to take this kind of abuse. i didn't want a sunroof, but my wife insisted we get leather heated seats, so we're stuck. what about an after market gasket that pepboys sells? i can stick a credit card between the sunroof and body! you can see daylight coming in!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, they said the gap is normal so water can drain. They are complete idiots. We r on our second rental car now and we have only made 3 payments. Mean while they have our Soul and continue to mess around with stuff. I don't even feel like I have a new car anymore. They dropped the headliner and stained it and now one of the sun visors doesn't move right anymore. I wish I could go back in time. Do this, close the sunroof and get in the car and push the sun shield back. Have our wife pour a cup of water on the sunroof while u are inside and watch towards the back where the sun shield slides back. Look to see if u see weep holes pouring water in. Most of it goes thru the drain rails but some will drip in the car. Let me know if that happens cuz that is what we have. We were told a few drips is okay yet water has drizzled on our heads just driving down the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its pouring down rain today. Rain is expected all week. I sure hope the dummy's at the dealership have the Soul inside otherwise it will be flooded. Ugh...the anxiety over this is killing me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oshari, if your problem is the same as ours, there's really nothing that can be done except find a seal that thicker to fill up the empty spaces. I'm bringing my car in friday, and i'm not expecting much, but i want to document a 'first visit' to the dealer to address it. i did use a 2" clear packing tape to cover all the seams on the roof, and at least no damage will be done while we're still using the car. of course, i'll take pictures of this on the roof just to show we're trying to keep tthe water out. i asked the service rep i spoke with today if their were any recall campaigns regarding this and she told me not as far she knew. typical rhetoric, as she also said no one had every brought a car in with a leaking sunroof. yeah, right. if this hasn't been fixed in the new cars, I doubt we'll ever see any satisfaction. before they can fix something they have to first admit there's a design flaw or seal flaw. I am dumbfounded that Kia would let this go on, when its such an easy fix. a thicker seal will fill the gap, period. i've tried the credit card trick with other cars and its not hard to push a card between the seal and roof. however, we shouldn't be seeing daylight. i'm going to do this step by step, and hopefully you'll keep this post you started updated. please email me @ [email protected]. i also see similar posts on kiasoulforums.com. kinda makes you wonder what Kia's quality control people are doing. they do have quality control people, right?????

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i assume your issues are posted on the USA forum for a wider spread of opinion?..... i have seen similar issues on there too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The deanship called to say the car was ready.I asked if they fixed it and he said they didn't do anything but let it sit out in the rain and they didn't find any leaks. I was really glad that it didn't leak but im pissed that again They Did Nothing! I reminded him that when it leaked we were driving in the rain. Once on the highway and once taking a sharp turn. I also reminded him that poring a cup of water on the sunroof caused water to leak in and he said the manufacturer says never do that because its too much water at once. They are idiots and F'ing stupid! I got the car back and the only thing I can do now is try to catch it on video some how. I will never buy from KIA again. No quality control at all !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts