Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chased my local dealer again yesterday about the availability of the all new 1600 diesel Carens only to be told they had the demonstrator (Carens 3 with Black leather interior)parked outside! Thanks to Tates of Pyecombe for lending it to me for a couple of hours, these are my thoughts:

The main reason for the test drive was to evaluate the new 1600 diesel engine. The car had only done 300 miles so not yet bedded in which must be taken into account. I went straight from my Mk2 Carens 2.0 diesel with almost identical bhp/torque figures so didn't expect to find much difference, I was surprised!

Once I had set up the mirrors etc to my style the 1st thing I noted was the seat position has changed, I can now put it 1 notch forward, in both my previousMk3's I've always had to have the seat at the most rear setting. Clutch down, 1st gear selected & off we go, erm, ok, maybe I'm in 3rd, double check, no I'm in 1st, ok what happened to the power? There wasn't much, certainly wouldn't want to have to nip across a junction from a standing start, not totally gutless, just lacking in oomph from a standing start. Main road driving was fine, acceleration isn't it's strongest point but a 1600cc diesel hauling the weight of a Carens isn't ever going to be sporty. The 6th gear was almost pointless until you got up above 50mph, you would probably wait til 60mph on most roads, especially if loaded.

The rest of the test drive was effortless, seating/driving postion is still 1st class & the figure hugging leather seats were much more supportive than the mesh/cloth ones, still a total fault of Kia they have no lumbar support though.

These are the differences I noted to the last Mk3 Carens I owned:

1 touch up (as well as down) on the drivers window.

The "tic toc" of the indicator is much "softer".

Quick flick of the indicator gives it 3 signals.

Trip computer (this was not on the GS models so new to me).

Bluetooth stereo (untested).

New feature: The computer tells you when it's the best time to change up a gear, you get an up arrow with the next available gear number on the display, obvioulsy to try & get the best mpg possible.

No rear loading area loading light (cheapskate Kia!) & the domed roof light doesn't operate with the rear door (some have adapted this to suit on the US forums).

Now for the mpg: (bear in mind this car had only done 300 miles).

17.8 miles urban driving = 24.2mpg.

18.9 miles at a steady 75mph = 44.6mpg

Above figures taken from the trip computer, not 100% accurate I'm sure but it gave me a snapshot of what to expect. I'm sure the mpg will increase with a bit of mileage done to bed in the engine but was completely upset the apparent por urban mpg, again the dpf system seems to have claimed another victim, bear in mind the book states 44.2mpg for this model!

Tateshave offered me the car for half a day once it's reached 1000 miles so will update this post then but will never get a 100% accurate mpg figure as it will never be fully fueled being owned by a dealer!

Mark.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The DPF on our Ceed only affects the MPG during the regens, the rest of the time the MPG is exactly the same as a non-DPF car. Our Ceed does a regen at exactly 300 mile intervals regardless of the type of use, if the Carens had done 300 mileswhen you collected it you could well have experienced a regen during your test. In the Ceed the computer indicates a figure of approx 36mpg during a regen instead of the more normal 48mpg.Surprised it feels gutless, the engine is more powerful than the 115 onein our Ceed SW and that car is absolutely brilliant, during a regen you loose a bit of performance as well.

Paul

·
Registered
161 Posts
thanks for the post supa....mpg dont seem to bad on the fast run,and the average of the two woulnt be too bad.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ Suttonseven:
1. Didn't smell a regen during my test drive.

2. The Ceed is much lighter weight than the Carens!

I will update the post as & when I take it out again, hopefully over a whole day rather than just a couple of hours but appreciate it's their demo & they want it around the sales dept for test drives.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regeneration, research the dpf system if you need any more info.

·
Registered
25 Posts
forget last question searched internet for answer. would add though that I dont think my engine has ever gone through a regen. Car is 2009 carens LS CRDi 2.0litre. egr valve changed 2/3000 miles ago which fixed surge problem but it has now returned worse than ever

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If your car is a 2009 Carens CRDiit will have a DPF and will have carried out several regens in its life. As I said above our 2011 Ceed does one every 300 miles approx regardless of use.

Paul

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Easiest way to spot it is when the instant fuel consumption readout shows way less than normal, just happened to us this morningon a trip down the M1, M50 and A38. With a following wind on a level road it was showing 38mpg, would normally be over 50mpg. The idle can feel a little rough as well but its not that easy to notice. If you stop during a regen there is normally a burning smell due to the exhaust temp being over 600 C, sometimes in traffic with the windows down you can spot this in the car.

On ourCeed the first regen was really noticable due to paint burning off the exhaust but since then you can hardly tell.

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts