Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Can you help

My dad is looking to purchase a kia sportage automatic diesel. he wants to know the true diesel consumption rather then what the book says.

Also is anybody aware of any problems with them so far.

Thank you

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Emma2883
As you can see I have an 09 SX auto, and done 11.6 K trouble free miles.

Even now I am getting better economy the more miles the cars does.

I am using Shell fuel and getting at the moment 30 to 38 MPG.

Bob

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Emma2883,
I have had my 2010 sportage for 4 days now its a 2 litre diesel manual which has now done only 450miles mixed driving but mostly motorway and A roads and the average fuel consumption is showing @ 45.2 mpg kia give 47mpg for the manual combined cycle so I reckon after after 4-5k it should be somewhere near official numbers ( fingers crossed), the auto usually does about 3-5 mpg less than the manual in my experience but its early days yet they hav'nt been out long enough, hope this helps.

Edited by: kiaman

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Emma.

I've just filled my sportage 2010 diesel manual up for the first time since getting it last thursday.

I've probably done a 50/50 mix of city/motorway driving and have clocked up 380 miles so far.

The trip showing 32.9 miles per gallon at the moment and working it out when filling up it's spot on (well .2 out by my calculations).

Not bad for early days. I dont drive like a granny but I've not took it over 3k yet (the odd time, but not really pushng it in any way).

Its not worse than my old petrol mazda 6 and will get better.

Slim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Emma,

I have the auto transmission version, but have only done about 300 miles so far.

At my recent top up I calculated my MPG to be 34.3 overall. The usage was approx 50% town/city rush-hour driving and 50% emptyish A roads and motorways. I've been cruising at 60 - 65 on the motorways and sticking to the 30/50 MPH limits where applicable. I've been driving the car gently, no sudden accelerations and using a couple of techniques to improve the MPG figure:-

a) At traffic lights with long delays, I don't leave it in D, I shift to N until the lights go amber.

b) I use 'Sport' mode in a proactive manner. Eg. Even at 60MPH on the motorway (on the flat), the Automatic function does not call on the transmission to change up into 6th gear. A 2 litre Turbo diesel engine pulling as much torque as the Sportage does could easily cope in 6th gear, so I change up to 6th at 50MPH. The car copes admirably - no labouring at all. If I'm on a hill I change down, if needed. Similarly, once used to the engine and the response, it is possible to employ early up-changes at other points.

There is a caveat though, you must keep an eye on the rev counter, when in sport mode, to maximise MPG, whilst avoiding labouring.

For my car it is still very early days and I expect once the engine loosens up (after 10-15 k miles), I will be able to achieve pretty close to the quoted 40.4 MPG overall figure.

Hope this helps,

Sparky

Edited by: Sparky2009

1 - 5 of 5 Posts