Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Kia community,

First post in here so I hope I do not upset the community with my query. Would anyone have access to parts databases or have a good knowledge about a specific part used in similar models to a Cee'd hatchback 2010. I'm having trouble locally sourcing a 3rd brake LED rear high level lighting unit. I'm wondering if their are other KIA/Hyundai models that use the same part. Details off the unit are as follows: 92701-1H0-SEOGU | Hella N1 165832 | 12V 2.0W.

I removed the unit and circuit is broke after testing, 12V is coming form the connector and other lights are working. I need a replacement unit asap as my car has failed MOT/NCT annual test and I need to bring it back to clear the failed advisory notice within a certain period of time in order get cert and have it road legal.

I contacted local motor factors and a couple of local breakers and nothing is available to purchase, really surprised with motor factors, can't even get the part. Went to local KIA garage to discover parts guys are all out sick or in isolation (COVID19), the senior mechanic said they would swap out the unit if they had a similar model on the courtyard but nothing was there. At least that would have allowed me to return to test center to pass the failed advisory issue for the moment until the parts guys returned to work. So that got me thinking afterward and I wondered if there are other models that use the same part i.e. newer cee'd or Rio models and therefore the reason for my query.

I can post pics if required.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@iooi Thanks for reply. Yes, I found that item also yesterday when doing online search and have on my emergency list if I can't get locally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I needed one also hard to find on eBay because they are sold with the whole boot lid. I repaired mine with 12v red led strip it's a sealed unit so you have to cut it open from the back. Cost about £5 3 years ago still working. Have you seen condensation on the inside?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@durker cheers for reply. Ya came across a video on YT
(which is not a KIA model, obviously) about doing a repair like you mentioned, my electronics skills are not the best but I could give it a go. My worry is that foamy dark colored seal around the unit and looks very well integrated into the unit and looks too important to be going at it, as its the only barrier to prevent rain water getting in to rear window, parcel shelf or roof interior upholstery.

The ABS plastic light grey backing seems to be strongly glued to the front facing semi transparent red tinted ABS plastic. Did you just use a scalp knife and heat gun to separate the front from the back and when you say you cut it open, what do mean? Loosening the 3 screws does nothing to free the plastic pieces from each other.

No condensation on the inside of the lighting module with a quick inspection and lads in the car trade have been telling me this is very usually for those LED module to be faulty, but sur that's life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't remember mine having a seal it's a while ago. I tried a few ways to cut it open Stanley Knife made a slot and used a hack saw blade only don't insert to far or you'll scratch the lense. I ended using a dremal with cutting disc you have to go easy or it melts back together same with a saw. I haven't seen the YouTube video I only saw the price of a brand new one. The led strip only need + - the old circuit board isn't needed. Oh and you need super glue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts