Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've got a 2009 Sorento XE with the switchable 2-4-4lo. Recently when it's in 4x4 mode there is a drone from the front right. Seems to go away over 45 but is very loud between 10 and 30. I'm hoping it's something simple like the CV but worried it could be the front diff. Any ideas or advise would be welcomed :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
Santa Fe auto Sorento auto gone. Picanto & i10
5,218 Posts
I hope you are not running it in 4x4 on tarmac roads as you will be winding up transmission. 4 x 4 is only intended for soft ground or snow to get you moving if wheels slip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you are not running it in 4x4 on tarmac roads as you will be winding up transmission. 4 x 4 is only intended for soft ground or snow to get you moving if wheels slip.
No, I've only used it a few times, last twice I've just engaged 4x4 to keep it used, round a field then back into 2wd. Took me ages to find a sorento XE that wasn't rotten so I'd like to keep it all fully functional. Problem I found is it only goes into 4x4 if the cars moving, not great if you're already stuck lol, I did this when I first got the vehicle and it went into 4x4 with a loud bang. I'm concerned now I damaged something.

·
Registered
Santa Fe auto Sorento auto gone. Picanto & i10
5,218 Posts
Changing from 2high to 4 high can be done whilst moving under 50 mph. 4WD low should only be selected while stationary and the gearbox in neutral otherwise the changeover motor suffers bent shaft damage.
Normal when in 4x4turning slow getting noise from front shaft. Make sure you keep prop shaft UJs well greased especially the front one. May need to grind down diameter of grease gun socket to get on nipples or remove shaft to grease nipples.

Reactions: rcwood08

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changing from 2high to 4 high can be done whilst moving under 50 mph. 4WD low should only be selected while stationary and the gearbox in neutral otherwise the changeover motor suffers bent shaft damage.
Normal when in 4x4turning slow getting noise from front shaft. Make sure you keep prop shaft UJs well greased especially the front one. May need to grind down diameter of grease gun socket to get on nipples or remove shaft to grease nipples.
Ah right, will get onto greasing them up. I'm new to owning a 4x4 so excuse me being abit uninformed about alot of it. Really appreciate the advise!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts