Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My first time posting on a site so please bear with me.

I'm hoping someone can advise me on a steering fault that has gradually become more noticeable.

Our 2008 TS model's steering has become more noticeably vague and I can now feel what I can only describe as a soft or slight knock when turning left or right. The steering wheel moves considerably a few degrees either left or right before any response is felt at the wheels. when it does seem to 'engage' I can feel a soft knock which feels like it's in the steering wheel column...somewhere! At first I thought the steering wheel was becoming loose from it's fixing but after reading a few bits of info I could find, I suspect it could be the lower intermediate steering coupling? A few of the posts (there aren't many) that I've read seem to indicate that replacing the part has successfully cured the problem.

I've just spent a small fortune getting it through it's MOT ( lower wishbone suspension arms, rear springs, track rod ends, exhaust shield, two tyres) and the car is driven by my wife to ferry the kids back and forth. It's become so unnerving for her that she's reluctant to drive it...understandably so. I just don't want to spend more money on what may be the wrong fix.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue and was it the lower steering coupling that was at fault (apparently a known weak spot), as has been suggested? Did a replacement fix the fault?

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I too would be worried by this - steering is a life saver. Agree that randomly replacing parts is not a good procedure. If there is play anywhere in the steering then this should be capable of confirmation by examination, but you will probably need a lift to properly assess it. Presume that the knock/play is noticeable when stationary so you need to get under it an observe movement while a friend gently moves the steering. If you can feel the knock then you might also hear it when underneath and at least narrow down the area of investigation but you might have to strip to identify the actual component

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice 'Turnup'

After much further seeking of information I believe I may have found the fault, and one that is a particular problem for Kia and Hyundai vehicles. It is known as the MDPS bushing that sits in the electric steering assist motor on the steering column. It is a well known failure point and the bushing just disintegrates over time leading to the 'steering knock'. The part is only £12.00 to buy but could be a pig of a job to fit, I haven't had a look yet. The vague steering? ...the front wheels got mistakenly switched around so the directional tyres were the wrong way round!

So, hopefully I will have everything sorted and back to normal in a few days with a bit of luck.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correction All, Now that I have had a proper look, it's not the MDPS bush...there isn't one! No electric assist on the Kia Sedona 2006 - 12. It's actually the lower intermediate steering shaft. Checked in the engine bay today whilst a friend turned the steering wheel from side to side and the 'knock' could be clearly heard coming from the steering shaft.

So, if you own a 2006-12 Kia Sedona/Carnival and you can hear and feel a slight knocking when you turn the steering wheel, it's more than likely to be the lower intermediate steering shaft.

Regards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. I'm getting 1 knock when turning wheels at a standstill a clunk or bang. Think it could be this?

How big a job was this? Cost?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts