Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 kia ceed 1.4 has had intermittent issues starting over the last year. About every 5/6 times the car just won't start, it starts straight away with a jump or I can generally get it going after a while in reverse or starting in 2nd/3rd gear without a jump. The weird thing is that the car actually moves slightly when it's in gear turning over, like I can move the car out onto the road just with cranking it without the engine actually starting. The battery has been replaced which did nothing and then a couple of mechanics queried the engine sensor. This was replaced and the issue didnt happen for a couple of months and then it started again. The car is obviously old at this point and I dont want to spend a lot of money replacing random parts and apart from that it has no issues but I cant continually walk out to drive somewhere and have that issue. Thanks for any help in advance

Super Moderator
Immobiliser?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, it's not something that has been mentioned? Have you come across this?

Registered
all kia models had immobiliser issues about that time, the pickup coil around the ignition barrel is the culprit, the immobiliser disables the engine from firing not from cranking over,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is very helpful as something to go on. I'll look up parts and see what costs are for replacement, will be back on to update. Cheers

Registered
use only genuine kia part, might be worth redoing the multi plug connections, kia multi plugs can have poor connections, I usually give the blade a slight twist

Registered
the car actually moves slightly when it's in gear turning over, like I can move the car out onto the road just with cranking it without the engine actually starting.
Manual transmission?
Is your foot on the clutch pedal when the car moves?
Do you allways attempt starting with both the gear lever in neutral & your foot on the clutch pedal?
The car moving when starting can be a symptom of a clutch issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Manual transmission?
Is your foot on the clutch pedal when the car moves?
Do you allways attempt starting with both the gear lever in neutral & your foot on the clutch pedal?
The car moving when starting can be a symptom of a clutch issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will have to figure what I'm doing when this happens as you know how you do things in auto pilot. The question is how does a car move without the engine started. Yes its manual. In a bid to get the engine going and since it slightly moves without the engine starting I use the momentum as a roll to get it started. So with the car in neutral and no feet on pedal, I try turning the key and when it doesnt start i put it in gear and attempt getting the bite with the car slightly moving from just it turning over. I've very little knowledge of cars so the above may make no sense

Super Moderator
I will have to figure what I'm doing when this happens as you know how you do things in auto pilot. The question is how does a car move without the engine started. Yes its manual. In a bid to get the engine going and since it slightly moves without the engine starting I use the momentum as a roll to get it started. So with the car in neutral and no feet on pedal, I try turning the key and when it doesnt start i put it in gear and attempt getting the bite with the car slightly moving from just it turning over. I've very little knowledge of cars so the above may make no sense
It will move in that situation as even if car will not start, with car in gear and clutch out (driving position) the car will move. Not good for engine as it puts a lot of stain on parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts