Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I have a 2006 Sorento XS Manual (TOD). The transmission appears to slip repeatedly for a second when put under any stress like hill climbing. You get like a mild knock, a bit like something may be jumping a tooth when under stress. On the flat it pulls ok if you take it steady. Do these suffer at all with the drive chain going slack? Could that be the issue? Any ideas from you knowledgeable folks would be very much appreciated as I'm at a complete loss and don't know what to do.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
The symptom you describe could be activation of the AWD. Does it do it if you lock it into 4WD?

There are a variety of possible causes for inappropriate AWD acivation..

Tyre pressures.

Rear tyres significantly more worn than the fronts.

Mixed tyre types

The TOD problem (lots on here about that but look at the above three first).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, better tyres are on the rear, tyre pressures okay, one thing I don't know how to do is lock it into 4WD as it's the TOD box.
Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
I believe that when you select 'low' it will be low gear and constant 4wd but I've not been able to prove this...you must not use 4wd on 'grippy' surfaces only only on mud or snow as there is no centre differential on these and damage will occur to the transfer case////the 'torque on demand' is good but I fitted a switch to isolate the 'TCCS' controller to prevent it working unless I want 4wd.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Don't know ther particular car but usually you can select Normal or 4 or 4lo somehow.

If you remove the TCCS fuse (I think fuse 13 in the cabin fuse box but check for youself) this disables the transfer case entirely. Ignore any fault lights for the purposes of testing and try it under the conditions which provoke the noises. If this fixes it then you could investigate fiting the TOD mod kit which will disable teh auto AWD but allow you to manually select normal or 4 or 4lo..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know ther particular car but usually you can select Normal or 4 or 4lo somehow.

If you remove the TCCS fuse (I think fuse 13 in the cabin fuse box but check for youself) this disables the transfer case entirely. Ignore any fault lights for the purposes of testing and try it under the conditions which provoke the noises. If this fixes it then you could investigate fiting the TOD mod kit which will disable teh auto AWD but allow you to manually select normal or 4 or 4lo..
I'll do that, thanks, not thought of that, saves me taking it to pieces for no reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys, removed the fuse (thanks Turnup for the info) no fault after so fitted the mod kit. Works a treat, stopped me selling it!

·
Registered
582 Posts
You should change the TOD oil if you haven't already..the drain plug is behind the balancer weights on the transfer case..it only holds about 1.5 litres but it has to be either to special oil from Kia or oil with a friction modifier...the magnetic clutch has plates which must be allowed to slip.....if you have recently aquired the vehicle and you're unsure, you should change all the fluids?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts