Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First off hello to you all, i'm a newbie
I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with a possible issue with my Sorento (2006 '56' Auto), ive only had it for 2 weeks and have no manual for it yet. My gf went out in it earlier for the 1st time in the snow, i noticed that the back wheels were spinning as she pulled out of the drive, which i thought was a bit odd as its supposed to be 4 wheel drive ! When she returned i went out and checked the settings, the 4wd was set to AUTO, i changed it to LOW, watched it flash for a bit then it stayed lit up on the dash as LOW. I braked, then went to move and thenone of the rear wheels was spinning up (this is on a flat bit of ground that no other car has any issue with so its not like i was stuck !), the car just sat there with one wheel spinning up and going nowhere, i have no idea why or what i may have possibly done wrong, or whether the 4wd system is broken. I changed the knob back to AUTO and it just stays flashing on LOW and doesnt disappear. Can anyone help me, it would be much appreciated ?

Cheers,

RedFreddie

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
When it is in AUTO you should have drive on front and rear axle.IF your motor is an AUTOMATIC you must always put gear shift in neutral whilst changing from auto to low or visa versa or the gearbox can sufferdamage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Birdman, Thanks for the reply, we did change it whilst in Neutral and also Park. I'm going to take it in to a garage during the week as we have a 3 mth warranty on the car (although where we bought it from is 150 miles away !!), i just wondered if i'd done something daft to make the car sit there spinning. I'm thinking that the 4WD isnt working properly, i was told that when you change the knob to LOW it'll flash on the dash for a bit then the light will stay on saying i'm in low (it did), but also that when it goes back to AUTO it should flash for a bit and then the light should go off, it doesnt (it stays flashing permanently).

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Yes you havedefinitelya problem, hope you get it sorted ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK i've just been out and started again and the light has gone out when in AUTO, i'll leave it like that but when i drive off my driveway it spins the rear wheels so i'm sure the 4WD system isnt working as it should, seems to just be rear wheel drive !

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Only select in neutral not when in park. Park locks the gearbox which means actuator cannot operate properly,which is possibly why light was still flashing. Manual is usually in drawer under passenger seat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you check to see if you had a front wheel spinning. On a couple of occasions I have been stuck and had one front and one back wheel spinning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Dod, i've been away for a couple of weeks hence no reply !! No front wheel was spinning in LOW, just the one rear wheel, very odd !! The car was taken to KIA today and they're going to take a look, unfortunately the car had 62 errors to clear so taking a while, then we'll start fresh and see whats happening hopefully. The car runs fine, its just lucky we had the snow last month as thats the only way to see if 4WD is actually working by eye.
Cheers,

Redfreddie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts