Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

First post on this great forum so please be gentle!

I have just bought a 2006 Kia Sedona 2.9 CDRI TS. Its covered just over 40,000 miles. I picked it up today from a dealer 300 odd miles away so have had a good chance to test it on the way home.

I have a few questions which I am hoping you might be able to answer:

1) Power Steering - The power steering seems very heavy at idle (it does make it far easier to turn if revved a little). The steering is also very noisy when used at idle and on tighter turns such as roundabouts. Is this a common fault? I pulled into a petrol station and nearly took out one of the pumps as it suddenly got heavier during a slow turn.

2) Vibration - There is a distinct vibration not through the steering but through the cabin. it makes the rear seats rattle and shake about a bit. It is not there all the time and seems to occur at mid range speeds (40-50 ish). Any ideas?

3) Clutch - The clutch was fine to begin with, after a good use through a town when the car was fully warm the pedal returned to where it should but with a lot of free play, it had to be pressed a good half way before any clutch resistance was felt. After I stopped and left the car for an hour it had returned to normal and was fine for the rest of the way home..... Again any ideas?

Ignoring the above I am very happy with the car and hope it will be OK!

Thanks in advance,

Sam

·
Registered
702 Posts
*sam* said:
Hi Everyone,

First post on this great forum so please be gentle!

I have just bought a 2006 Kia Sedona 2.9 CDRI TS. Its covered just over 40,000 miles. I picked it up today from a dealer 300 odd miles away so have had a good chance to test it on the way home.

I have a few questions which I am hoping you might be able to answer:

1) Power Steering - The power steering seems very heavy at idle (it does make it far easier to turn if revved a little). The steering is also very noisy when used at idle and on tighter turns such as roundabouts. Is this a common fault? I pulled into a petrol station and nearly took out one of the pumps as it suddenly got heavier during a slow turn.

2) Vibration - There is a distinct vibration not through the steering but through the cabin. it makes the rear seats rattle and shake about a bit. It is not there all the time and seems to occur at mid range speeds (40-50 ish). Any ideas?

3) Clutch - The clutch was fine to begin with, after a good use through a town when the car was fully warm the pedal returned to where it should but with a lot of free play, it had to be pressed a good half way before any clutch resistance was felt. After I stopped and left the car for an hour it had returned to normal and was fine for the rest of the way home..... Again any ideas?

Ignoring the above I am very happy with the car and hope it will be OK!

Thanks in advance,

Sam

To be truthful mate if the steering is as bad as you say ring the dealer up tell him and make him aware you are taking the car back at his expense as it is dangerous as it is or get him to agree to speak to a garage of your choosing to agree to fix it, but the best bet is to take it back. If you want evidence to back you up take it to the ministry testing station/mot station and ask them to check it. It may be just the belt needs tighening/or a new belt but it shouldn't go bad in 300 miles. The clutch sounds as though it could be leaking or has air in it. As for the vibration what 1 person sees as exceptable others dont. Did you drive the car before buying ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
as bruno said make the dealer aware of the problems and as for the vibration that could well be down to wheel balancing.

been in the tyre trade for many years when the rear whells are out of balance you can get vibration through the car at various speeds and drive through it and the vibration goes and come's back at a higher speed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bruno1926 said:
To be truthful mate if the steering is as bad as you say ring the dealer up tell him and make him aware you are taking the car back at his expense as it is dangerous as it is or get him to agree to speak to a garage of your choosing to agree to fix it, but the best bet is to take it back. If you want evidence to back you up take it to the ministry testing station/mot station and ask them to check it. It may be just the belt needs tighening/or a new belt but it shouldn't go bad in 300 miles. The clutch sounds as though it could be leaking or has air in it. As for the vibration what 1 person sees as exceptable others dont. Did you drive the car before buying ?

Hi,

i did drive the car before buying, it all seemed fine. The clutch was OK and the steering although a tad noisy was easy to operate and smooth. As for the vibration I didnt notice it as a problem.

I have checked the belt and it seems tight. The power steering fluid is very black - does that mean anything?

Car has full service history although the last one was not with a kia garage.

As for the clutch the fluid is at the correct level in the brake reservoir, there is another plastic reservoir linked to the brake one with a pipe, this has an airgap in the top is this normal? I cant see how you could fill it up?

I have contacted the dealer who said I can take it to any UK vat registered garage under the terms of the 12 monthwarrantythey sold me.......... not hopeful though I have had these sort of warranties before and it is really hard to try to get them to pay out!

Cheers for your reply,

Sam

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dmc said:
as bruno said make the dealer aware of the problems and as for the vibration that could well be down to wheel balancing.

been in the tyre trade for many years when the rear whells are out of balance you can get vibration through the car at various speeds and drive through it and the vibration goes and come's back at a higher speed.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

The car has just had 4 new tyres so it makes sense that one of them may be out of balance - I will get them checked.

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Sam,

I assume it's the new shape from 'TS', same as the one we have recently bought. Like you we got ours from a dealer some distance away. Came with a worthless 3 month warranty (world of warranty), I say worthless as they have refused 2 claims; one for worn out droplinks @35kmiles & for the IMV fault recently diagnosed by main dealer. In both cases I spoke with the garage where we bought the car, in the case of the droplinks he offered a part payment which I accepted & we are still discussing the IMV.

Regardless of any warranty he gave/sold with the car the selling garage is liable in law for 6 months

"during the first six months:
The consumer returns the goods in the first six months from the date of sale and requests a repair or replacement or a partial refund. In that case, the consumer does not have to prove the goods were faulty at the time of sale. It is assumed that they were. If the retailer does not agree, it is for the retailer to prove that the goods were satisfactory at the time of sale. This comes from Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, derived from EU Directive 1999/44/EU which became Clauses 48A to 48F inclusive of the Sale of Goods act in April 2003"

see here - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights

Sorry if I waffled

SteveN

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

I've got to say that the garage who sold me the car have actually been OK to this point and rang me this morning, told me to take it to any VAT registered garage and they will pay for the repair..... (apparentlyi cant make a warranty claim on the policy they sold me until after a month....)

I took it to a garage this afternoon where they drove it and said that it could either be the pump or the rack but wont know until they take it to bits. Whilst i was there they rang the supplying dealer who authorised them to spend 1.5 hours investigating.........

I booked the car in to be looked at tomorrow morning. Obviously the garagearen'tgoing toreleasethe car until payment is made so i hope the dealer keep to their promises.......

I am reassured that itdoesn'tappear to be a common fault so looks like it is just one of "those" things. In typical fashion though when the garage drove it it stopped making the noise and behaved perfectly although it did show some of the symptoms like getting heavy when turning whilst moving slowly.

I will keep posting with progress....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sln8458 said:
Hi Sam,

I assume it's the new shape from 'TS', same as the one we have recently bought. Like you we got ours from a dealer some distance away. Came with a worthless 3 month warranty (world of warranty), I say worthless as they have refused 2 claims; one for worn out droplinks @35kmiles & for the IMV fault recently diagnosed by main dealer. In both cases I spoke with the garage where we bought the car, in the case of the droplinks he offered a part payment which I accepted & we are still discussing the IMV.

Regardless of any warranty he gave/sold with the car the selling garage is liable in law for 6 months

"during the first six months:
The consumer returns the goods in the first six months from the date of sale and requests a repair or replacement or a partial refund. In that case, the consumer does not have to prove the goods were faulty at the time of sale. It is assumed that they were. If the retailer does not agree, it is for the retailer to prove that the goods were satisfactory at the time of sale. This comes from Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, derived from EU Directive 1999/44/EU which became Clauses 48A to 48F inclusive of the Sale of Goods act in April 2003"

see here - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights

Sorry if I waffled

SteveN

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply, at the moment the main dealer i bought it from are playing ball but we shall see if it continues.....!!

It is the new shape.

Interestingly the car i have bought had droplinks replaced at about the same mileage.....

Whats an IMV?

Cheers

Sam

Edited by: *sam*

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sln8458 said:
Hi Sam

Whats an IMV?

Inlet Metering Valve, fitted to the high pressure DIESEL fuel pump,

Check out my post on 'Engine Light'

SteveN

Found that ..... I will look forward to that fault coming!!

Can anyone advise on the clutch issue? I think there may be air in the system, can anyone advise if the second fluid reservoir (the one just to the let of the main one) should have air in it? Mine has and I am pretty sure thats the cause of the problem but would be good if someone could confirm.

Thanks

Sam

·
Registered
422 Posts
*sam* said:
sln8458 said:
Hi Sam

Whats an IMV?

Inlet Metering Valve, fitted to the high pressure DIESEL fuel pump,

Check out my post on 'Engine Light'

SteveN

Found that ..... I will look forward to that fault coming!!

Can anyone advise on the clutch issue? I think there may be air in the system, can anyone advise if the second fluid reservoir (the one just to the let of the main one) should have air in it? Mine has and I am pretty sure thats the cause of the problem but would be good if someone could confirm.

Thanks

Sam
Hi Sam, I have the same model and year as you - It sounds like you have have air in the system and probably bleeding the system will sort it - however I think this model having the foot pedal 'handbrake' system will tend to be a bit harder on clutches as people tend to ride the clutch rather than set the parking brake - I know I do - and therefore the clutch could be worn and in need of replacement.
If I had bought this vehicle and had the problems you have encountered I would have been taking it back to the garage and either asked them to sort it or ask for my money back on the grounds that in respect of the steering issue they have sold you a vehicle in an 'unroadworthy condition' which is a criminal offence and / or secondly under the' sales of goods act' the vehicle was not fit for purpose in that you are unable to use it because of its condition.
I appreciate that this sounds a bit heavy but you shouldn't have to be sorting these issues out yourself its up to the garage who sold it to you to do that.
Good luck with it but I would advise you to get back to the garage and get them to sort it out.

Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All,

Thanks so much for all your replies. The car is in a local garage at the momenthavinga new power steering pump fitted (which is being paid for by the supplying dealer).

They are confident this will solve the problem personally I am a little sceptical but hey...... If itdoesn'tsolve the issue the car is going straight back up to the supplying dealer and will be left with them until they fix / refund!

I will let you all know!

Sam.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All,

Just to update with the power steering issue, the car is now back from the garage (after a whole week!) the garage had to wait 4 days for a new power steering pump.

Theyreplaced the pump and then found a power steering hose with a hole in it. They said it runs "down the back" and couldnt be seen until the car was dismantled....... sceptical as I am this may have been the cause of the problem all along...... but hey ive got a new pump i suppose.

Anyhow, due to a bit of a stand off between the two garages (the repairinggaragedidnt request authorisation from the main dealer before replacing the pipe) i had to pay for the hose (£40).

Overall though the problem is solved and the steering is now completely different, lighter shaper and quieter.

Happy Days.

Cheers

Sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts