Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused, or maybe I'm just paranoid.
I want to do an oil change on a 2007 Sedona 2.9 diesel which I recently purchased. A knowledgeable friend tells me to be very careful as a lot of modern diesels have a ""particulate filter""� in the exhaust and unless specific oil is used soot deposits can block this filter. I'm guessing the Sedona has such a filter, but not sure.
The owners handbook gives classifications APIS CH-4 or above, and ACEA B4. Now I can find plenty of oils that meet ACEA B4 but non that also meet APIS CH-4 (or the higher CI-4) classification.
The nice people at Halfords don't list anything for the Sedona after 2006 and neither does the Castrol web site. I wonder why not?
I have spoken to customer service at Kia about this and they say to use SAE grade 10w30 or 5w30 and as long as it meets ACEA B4 classification then it is O.K. (The book also shows viscocity 15w40, but they didn't mention that).
I suppose that answer should satisfy me, but being paranoid about such things, any advice from the knowledgeable folks on this site would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
use 15/40 thats what i use.as this country doesnt go below -15 or above +40 its all about temps bud.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responces.

My main concern was that the ACEA B4 classification being quoted is not compatible with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) fitted on the exhaust system. After speaking to the foremanat my local Kia workshop itseems I had no need to worry, as non of the Sedona 2.9 dieselshave a PDF fitted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend who is knowledgable on these matters told me that a lot of modern diesels have a DPF. I think that is probably true. However a lot don't have them and the Sedona 2.9is one that doesn't. I just had to find out for certain for my own peace of mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts