Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone could help. My 2006 Sedona came with a towbar and twin electrics. It has a problem where by when the caravan is plugged in and the lights turned on one side will work fine, the other just flashes then goes off on both the car and the caravan.

I have had a look and the wiring looks like a right bodge job using scotch lock connectors. Am i right in thinking I need some sort of a relay?

Thanks

Sam

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear of your plight. Scotch locks have been used to connect electrical wires (inside rather than outside) for a number of years now, and if kept dry will last for many more. If the wiring is untidy then it's probably is a duff job, and the sight of scotch locks (I must admit) makes the job look ten times worse. If you are a confident person you could attempt the job itself. All you need is the updated wiring diagram a circuit tester and your preferred method of connecting wires. There should be an inline buzzer for the indicators. Two relays for the 12s battery supply (to the white plug, fridge and charging).It could be a simple thing as a lack of earth wire there should be two, wire connected to the wrong pin or vehicle supply. Is your caravan wiring 100%? The previous owner maybe had a fairly dated caravan which the wiring would be slightly different!. A trailer board is a handy tool so that you can sit in the driver's seat to check working lights while . Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
The MK2 has a CAM BUS system and needs a "black interfacebox" to connect it to a caravan. The caravan road lights cannot be connected direct to the wiring of the car. Each light (side brake etc.)has a wire connected back to the Black box and a supply is then switched to the caravan lights. So if yours has its trailer socket connected direct to the car bulbs you need to remove all existing wiring and start again with the right equipment for the job.
The fridge wiring is the same as before with a voltage sensitive relay etc.

jiginc

·
Registered
195 Posts
not to be picky, but for ease of finding what you need, its CAN BUS, not CAM BUS, you will need either a dedicated kit, or a bypass relay (this "learns" the cars signal, more complicated to set up, but cheaper)the former usually plugs straight into the harness somwhere, the latter connected via the vehicles wiring.
its possible that you already have a bypass relay somwhere, and it has gone faulty, or simply needs reprogramming. (I would suspect this, in the face that one side works otherwise, it is unlikly that it would work at all) what happens if you put the hazards on?

·
Registered
702 Posts
MININUT said:
Is the new shaped Sedona a Mk3 or 2, because on the Mk2 Sedona you do not need a dedicated towbar wiring kit?

If its a diesel without the bump on the bonnet then its a MK3 if it has the bump its a MK2

·
Registered
399 Posts
bruno1926 said:
MININUT said:
Is the new shaped Sedona a Mk3 or 2, because on the Mk2 Sedona you do not need a dedicated towbar wiring kit?

If its a diesel without the bump on the bonnet then its a MK3 if it has the bump its a MK2
Hi Thanks for that Bruno! thought I was going loopy, I have the MK2 and so does 6 other owners that I have wired a towbar - the conventional way.

·
Registered
195 Posts
oops, I just ASSumed, that a 2006 would be a new shape (yes, mk3 not 2)

Mk1 & 2 normal piggy back wiring for trailer lighting, mk 3 bypass system.

Just as an aside, the "kits" sold for adding the 12S socket onto your car don't contain enough cable for the sedona (or at lease the one I bought didnt)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I rewired the tow bar electrics using a 7 way relay from Maplins (made by Ring).

It all seems to work fine now

Cheers

Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.