Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento JC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine sump has began to leak on my 2006 Kia Sorento Diesel. I have managed to source an new engine sump, but have not managed to source the gasket or the bolts that hold the sump in place. In fact i am not sure if has a traditional paper gasket or a liquid gasket is used.
Also, does anybody have a guide on replacing the sump?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I had a leaking injector copper washer and a lot of blowby...It is a serious problem on the mk1...I rectified the injector and because it seriously contaminates the oil, it will block the oil pickup strainer mesh... I tried to look through the drain plug hole with a camera but to no avail....so..drop the sump guard undo the bolts holding the front diff and tie it with rope..you can lower it enough to enable the sump to drop...you need to keep the sump bolts in order, they are different lengths...a thin scraper and strong knife tapped inbetween to break the silicone...take great care and ease it around slowly, you don't want to distort the sump..but you're replacing yours so it doesn't matter.....carefully clean off the silicone on the bottom of the block and make sure it's clean and degreased...I refitted mine with a tube of the gasket seal and left it overnight to set...an awkward job lying on your back but quite straight forward and doable...good luck.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento JC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a leaking injector copper washer and a lot of blowby...It is a serious problem on the mk1...I rectified the injector and because it seriously contaminates the oil, it will block the oil pickup strainer mesh... I tried to look through the drain plug hole with a camera but to no avail....so..drop the sump guard undo the bolts holding the front diff and tie it with rope..you can lower it enough to enable the sump to drop...you need to keep the sump bolts in order, they are different lengths...a thin scraper and strong knife tapped inbetween to break the silicone...take great care and ease it around slowly, you don't want to distort the sump..but you're replacing yours so it doesn't matter.....carefully clean off the silicone on the bottom of the block and make sure it's clean and degreased...I refitted mine with a tube of the gasket seal and left it overnight to set...an awkward job lying on your back but quite straight forward and doable...good luck.
Can you tell me what the name of the sealant you used? Also, no gasket on the sump?

·
Registered
502 Posts
No gasket on the sump..I'm sorry, I just asked the motor factors for a tube of gasket but I don't remember the make.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts