Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone can throw any light on this problem concerning my wifes 2005 Picanto. Background: My wife has owned the car from new, it gets very little use and has covered only 18,000 miles. It is serviced annually, and the only problem she has had with it was one time when the brake calipers rusted-up requiring a brake overhaul.

The Problem: Today I drove the car to the shops, just to see if all was well before it goes for its MoT tomorrow, and it drove perfectly all the way to the shops. After shopping I returned to the car and opened the drivers door. Just as I'd opened the door a friend spotted me and came over for a chat (which lasted about 8 minutes) and the car door was left open during this time. After my friend went I his way I got into the car, closed the door, inserted the ignition key into the igniton, started the engine and selected reverse gear. Then I let out the clutch.....and nothing happened. The engine continued running and responding to the accelerator, but the car wouldn't move. Thinking I hadn't engaged reverse gear properly, I depressed the clutch, moved the gearstick to neutral, and then moved it back to reverse gear, making sure I'd selected the gear correctly. Letting the clutch out, the car once more remained stationary and the engine continued running normally. Looking at the I instrument panel I noticed that the immobiliser light was on, so I turned the ignition off, open the car door, closed the car door, inserted the ignition key - and suddenly everything was back to normal again and the drive back home was as though the problem had never occurred.

I have been unable to find out what caused this temporary loss of drive, but I wonder if the immobiliser light could have had anything to do with it.....and if so, how? Note: In the past whenever the car door has been left open, without the key being in the ignition, the car's alarm has sounded and lights have flashed.....but none of this happened this time.

Any ideas, anyone?

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you're right Alan, but this morning I'm wondering if one of the gear-change cables is "letting go" and the whole immobiliser thing was coincidental. Still very intrigued about it all
MoT is at 11am today
Cheers,
Tony

·
Registered
337 Posts
The gear change and clutch aren't controlled by the electronics, so all sounds a bit strange. Sounds like reverse didn't engage properly which I've had on previous cars. Putting into first would have probably got things back into action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this Ken.....but things didn't go back to normal by selecting first gear. It wouldn't move backwards (tried twice) nor forwards. Things went back to normal after the immobiliser light had been extinguished by turning off the ignition, removing the key and then opening and closing the door....all very odd (and most likely just a coincidence?). Glad to report that all is well today and that it passed its MoT
Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts