Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at a 2004 Kia Sedona in the morning, it has 87000 miles on it and I just want some quick opinions if possible? We also have a caravan and I have read some quite good tow reports.
Can anybody help me with things to look for tomorrow? Also can anyone give me realistic mpg?

We currently run a 1.9 td zafira but this does struggle with our van on slight inclines (1350kg) Max.

Should we buy or not? I also notice instead of our £165 per year tax it looks like it will increase to £240? Also timing belt / service / running costs & experience would be great please. Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My mum and dad had a 2001 Sedona SE 2.9 diesel for a few years. Brilliant bit of kit. Amazingly comfortable, decent levels of kit and enough room for 6 adults to go on a european road trip, albeit with a roof box. Average MPG IIRC was around 30-32mpg. I loved it and even contemplated getting one for the sheer value for money factor recently but have settled on a Cee'd. Not sure about tax.

Things to look out for? The paintwork is a bit pants, but if its looked after then should be ok. The engine is bought in from mercedes so should be pretty trouble free. Mum and dads was an auto and although it was slow on acceleration it was fine once you got up to speed.

We did many family holidays in it and I still believe it is one of the best MPV's out there. The new one looks tiny in comparison!!

Hope this is of some help!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there, We Bought a Sedona A few weeks ago ,Just in time totow the caravan for the holiday. We took the rear seats out to have more space in the Car. Towing was easy and it could easily pull a 1,9000kg caravan if you had one, It doesn't pullas quick as our previouscar Volvo V70 2.5 , But it feel safer .There were 6/8 Sedona's at the caravan site so you wouldn't be the only one. Best Wishes

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've just bought a 2005 se+ with 35k on it. Love it, just fitted tow bar ready to pick my 1500kg caravan up on tues, then on following Monday we are heading to Paris for a couple of weeks.

Best I've had solo at the min is 29mpg however I use it for my work, and drive short distance with maybe 30 stops a day, so that should improve on a run (I hope!)

There are some dogs out there, I looked at loads all over the country before 1 turned up on my doorstep, low mileage, cam belt done and top spec.
Just be aware, the cam belt isn't a cheap job! My receipt says £480.
Apparently they eat front tyres too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I have 2004 Sedona in silver 12 months MOT, 6 months tax 108K just had all the injectors reconditioned, and the cylinder head has just been skimmed I have replaced the rear heater pipes that corrioded which caused the clyinder head gasket to fail, also had the cam belt changed will this work was carried out, we get about 29 mpg around town and 34 on motorway, I don't really need this size of van any more and would be interested in your Zafira. I live in Rochdale Lancashire, are you looking to swap?

·
Registered
399 Posts
m623d said:
I've just bought a 2005 se+ with 35k on it. Love it, just fitted tow bar ready to pick my 1500kg caravan up on tues, then on following Monday we are heading to Paris for a couple of weeks.

Best I've had solo at the min is 29mpg however I use it for my work, and drive short distance with maybe 30 stops a day, so that should improve on a run (I hope!)

There are some dogs out there, I looked at loads all over the country before 1 turned up on my doorstep, low mileage, cam belt done and top spec.
Just be aware, the cam belt isn't a cheap job! My receipt says £480.
Apparently they eat front tyres too

Hi I'm surprised that you said they eat front tyres? Changed mine at 38,000 from new, could have had three maybe four extra thousands, but a 1,800 mile holiday towing a caravan made me re-new the four. I check/adjust the tracking on mine at least once every three months!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies! The one we looked at today had lots of bolts through the roof, we was told that this is where the roof rack went? Not sure but it looked a right mess! Anyway viewing one in the morning that sounds perfect so il keep you posted! Only thing with most ive called they either need cam belts or dont know when they were last done, I've read how important this is so it looks like I'm going to need this doing for peice of mind, dealer quoted £658! Thanks for the offer of swap for our zafira but we already have someone interested in it as soon as we replace it thanks. One last quick query! Auto or manual, is there a big difference in economy? Also which would be better for towing? Thanks a lot

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mines an auto and I was advised (and read on reviews) that the auto is alot nicer to drive, although I cant verify this as I never drove a manual. I think the MPG isnt that different.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks very much for all of the advice, I am now the proud owner of a 2005 (05) manual sedona :)
with 48,000 miles & full history.

The cam belt is 60,000 miles or 72 months which ever comes first so I've got it booked in next week at a local garage for the full kit fitted and it's £370 incusive :))))

Tow bar will be fitted at the same time £180.

It is only the (L) model so were havingthe rear windows limo tinted tomorrow for £140, think they look so much better tinted.

Then we should have a car were happy with and one that will look after us for years to come :)))

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. Have seen Sedona 7 seater full with double axle horse box with horse in pulling away at lights. I have sedona tdi 2001'y' s does 35-43mpg without watching how I drive town, rural and motorway stopstart ect brill and safe.
Timing belt kit including all tesioners from Blue Print via a reputible garage is £160.00. Head gasket from Gasket Shop on ebay £47-50. water pump £50any other info contact Sedona Gary [email protected]
Steve Gx Blackpool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts