Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - newbie here about to buy a 54 plate Sorento. :D

Car seems spotless, mileage isaverage but I had an independant mobilemechanic look at it who noticed significant corrosion around what he claimed was the rear cross member and said to walk away from the car as the only way to fix it would be to cut it out and replace it which would be expensive.

The dealer I'm buying from (a friend of a friend) was very surprised by this and arranged for his local garage which he regularly uses to look it over.

They confirmed that yes there was some corrosion but it was not the cross member but an additional support bar at the rear of the car that was rusted - this is apparently a hollow bar that just gives a little extra support but is not part of the chassis or the integral structure.

I spoke to the mobile mechanic who started to back track slightly claiming that it wasn't the cross member but that thisbar did a similar job but was still part of the chassis however he was happy that if replaced properly the car would be fine.

I then spoke to my regular mechanic (who unfortunately couldn't travel the distance to check the car) and he agreed that a lot of SUV's have this additional bit of strapping at the back but due to these cars not being undersealed properly it does get filled with water and start to rust and he agreed that if a new bar was correctly welded into place it would be fine.

So, the garage is going to replace this part before selling me the car - it is a big job which is being done at their expense but I wanted to check if anyone has had or heard of similar issues?

My mechanic seems certain that the chassis on these cars are very thick and not likely to rust at such a young age but I'd like some further reassurance if possible as this car will be used to regularly tow a horsebox.

My plan is to get the car tomorrow, take it to my mechanic next week and get him to check the quality of the welding and then underseal the car for me!

Fingers crossed that fixes things!

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi I agree with murphwiz

Sometimes think the people doing these inspections tend to be a little over cautious,just to cover themselvesbut always a good idea to have the vehicle checked if your not too sure yourself
Idon't thinkyou will have no major problems with it

·
Registered
2 Posts
The crossmember problem described here is a very real issue with the Sorento. Driving through a neighboring town last week we saw a Sorento on a front lawn and written on it's windows was talk of rotted frame, car unusable. We stopped and spoke to the owners and sure enough the tubular crossmember in front of the rear differential had rotted from the inside out and failed without warning. This very important member is directly linked to the diff, when it failed the diff swung up and punched a hole in the gas tank. Their's is an 04 with less than 70K miles on it. They're fighting with KIA over the problem but haven't had much success. The vehicle is unusable. So, when we got home we looked at ours, we have just over 100K on our '04. We were shocked to find that on inspection in the open ends of the member ours is highly compromised too and will fail. We blew the member out with a shop vac and got a dustpan full of hunks of rusted metal out the other end. The vehicle has serviced us well and other than this under designed major component looks to be solidly built. But I don't think I'd want this to unexpectedly fail while cruising the highway at 70MPH, the rear diff is no longer stabilized and moves out of position. I actually have an appointment today with a restoration / fabrication shop to find out what it'll take to replace the crossmember before it fails, I can't wait to fight with KIA who like I said hasn't been all that interested in helping the other family I spoke about above that already have a dead Sorento.

·
Registered
662 Posts
brake pipes yes they do rust but never seen a chassis are you sure its not the rear bumper strenthener they are not electrocoated and do rust

·
Registered
2 Posts
Viking Paul,

If you're referring to my post about the failed crossmember, I was personally under this Sorento and saw the failed cross member. And again, I have my own that is on it's way to failing the same way. I have some pics if you'd like. They're chilling.

·
Registered
662 Posts
04Sorento-owner would love to see the pictures you can e mail them to me at paul.somerville@viking-garages.ltd.uk

your cars in the US may be diffrent as all european Sorentos were made in Korea whilst the US had its own plant typicaly manafactures make changes for diffrent markets and their driving conditions

i also believe theUS chassis were diffrent in design because of the large petrol engine versions

cheers or should it be Have a nice day

·
Registered
101 Posts
well these are pictures of our 2005 rear diff... to be honest shocking and wondering what (cheap) steel kia is using!!! btw; the oil traces on the diff are because i changed the diff oil yesterday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are two of these tubes welded to the chassis members, running across the car above the rear axle. They are open ended. Over a period of time they can fill with road crud and other debris that is thrown up by the rear wheels. This sits there and holds damp and water in the tubes, therefore allowing them to rust through. I always blast these out when washing the car. I find the easiest way is to jack up one side of the car so that I can see right through the tubes. I then blast them with my pressure washer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi have the same problem on a2003 sorento.Kia uk say they have no reports on this .Some of the comments on this issue say Kia have repaired free of charge.Rang them to find out no joy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts