Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post, first kia to be fair.

I just bought a second hand (obviously) rio 1.3l petrol, it has a consistent and loud tapping noise from the engine regardless of speed and load, I will try the recommended oil change, flush and filter I have already read, however...

The brakes are operating at the end of the pedal travel and while they work, id like them working a little higher up the travel path of the pedal, I will check the resevior tomorrow, but what else could it be that I need to be checking? I guess checking pads would be a good start as well?

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,418 Posts
Yes these cars have drums on the rear and they have automatic adjusters which may well have seized if not serviced recently. Pull the handbrake on fully and then pump the brake pedal. If it pumps up hard with little or no travel it means the adjusters have not taken up the slack and need work (or if you are lucky will force them to work). I don't think the front discs/callipers will be the problem but if someone has put new pads on a worn disc with a big lip it just might. As Dubs says an all round bleed with new fluid will always be a good thing especially if it's not been done for years.
I had an '05 plate LE+ which was a brilliant car. It's still on the road at 16yrs and 140,000 miles according to the DVLA.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
219 Posts
Hi all, first post, first kia to be fair.

I just bought a second hand (obviously) rio 1.3l petrol, it has a consistent and loud tapping noise from the engine regardless of speed and load, I will try the recommended oil change, flush and filter I have already read, however...

The brakes are operating at the end of the pedal travel and while they work, id like them working a little higher up the travel path of the pedal, I will check the resevior tomorrow, but what else could it be that I need to be checking? I guess checking pads would be a good start as well?
In addition to the other posts I would add it is also possible that over tightening of the handbrake cable adjuster would also cause poor braking. It sounds like the drums will probably have to come off as part of your investigation anyway but on reassembly the handbrake cable will require slackening off to allow the shoes to self adjust

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.