Kia Owners Club Forum banner

20016 Rio intermittently failing to restart after short break

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  xroads 
#1 ·
Hi, my daughter's Rio has developed an annoying intermittent fault where it sometimes refuses to restart after a short break. Specifically, it starts immediately from cold. However, after a short trip (may be significant but most of her journies are short) to the supermarker for example, it sometimes fails to restart after it has been off for 5-10 minutes. The engines turns over perfectly but doesn't catch at all. Eventually, after say 5 minutes of trying, it very briefly catches but immediately dies again. After another 2 minutes it starts as normal and runs perfectly. Car has been in to Kia, but of course the fault was not there when they tested. No faults stored. I have replaced battery just in case.

Any suggestions? Does anyone know whether an OBD2 data logger would record live data during failed start attempts?

Thanks for any help!!

#4 ·
Does it start if you give it a bit of throttle?
I had this on a previous car (not Kia) and it was throttle body related and also something in the PCM software but it did it ever since I bought the car

No - the throttle makes no difference. For about 5 mins (with a few rests) the engine doesn't catch at all although the starter spins it as normal. Then there is a hint of it starting but it dies straight away, then it gets a little bit better still where it sounds as if is going to catch and idle but then just dies away. Pumpinf throttle makes no difference at any point.

#5 ·
Petrol or diesel?
No check engine light when this happens?
An obd diag checker is cheap enough to give a try. I have a canbus one which works and was under a tenner.

On other cars I have found useful info in the freeze frame data when check engine light does not appear.

#6 ·
Thanks - no engine light, no error codes stored - read by KIA diagnoistic scanner. Nothing unusual detected whilst driving with OBD data recorded monitoring live data stream.

It is an intermittent fault which has so far not reveled itself at the KIA dealers. What I would like to know is which, if any, OBD data scanner will monitor the data during start up. This way I can compare a normal start to a failed start. Unfortunately, though I suspect the ECU doesn't start to transmit full data until car is up and running.

Cheers
Andy

#7 · (Edited)
You can monitor live data from the ignition on position to cranking.
However you may have to limit the number of sensors you are monitoring to gather frequent sample interval.

Here's my obd setup, from cold start.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.