Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks, I`ve just purchased a 2001 sportage with manual g/box. Since i wasn`t given an owners handbook i haven`t a clue as to how to engage/disengage the 4wd in particular. Whilst i`d like to purchase a handbook i`d really appreciate some sound basic advice on the aforementioned in the meanwhile. help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Snap! I've just purchased one of the same year Sportages which luckily came with an owners manual. It is a huge manual (in page terms!).

On the Four wheel drive page it states:

Transfer Lever (Four Wheel Drive Lever).

Use this lever to shift into and out of four-wheel drive.

You have four options with this lever:

2H: Two wheel high speed

4H: Four wheel high speed

N: Neutral (Manual Transmission Only)

4L: Four wheel low speed

It is not necessary to depress the clutch pedal to shift from 2H to 4H. To shift between 4H, N and 4L depress the clutch pedal after stopping your vehicle. The shifting between 4H, N and 4L can only occur after the vehicle has been stopped.

2H: Two wheel high speed

This setting engages rear axle only like many ordinary vehicles. Select this setting when you drive in ost ordinary driving situations. (Not sure if this is correct as I belived the Sportageis a front wheel drive car in normal use).

4H: Four wheel high speed

The setting engages front and rear axles. Select this setting when you drive in sand, snow, etc. The 4WD indicator light will illuminate to remind you that you are in four wheel drive mode.

N: Neutral (Manual Transmission Only)

This setting disengages the front and rear axles. The 4WD indicator light will illuminate to remind you that you are in four wheel drive mode.

4L: Four wheel low speed

The setting engages front and rear axles and gives you greater traction than 4H but lowers your maximum vehicle speed. Select this setting when you drive on steep hills or or in mud or snow. You will get greater power in 4L.The 4WD indicator light will illuminate to remind you that you are in four wheel drive mode.

Also searched online and found you can download a copy of the manul yourself (in PDF format) via this link: http://...kia.ca/content/Owners/OwnersManual/2001_Sportage_Owners_Manual_EN.pdf

Hope this helps,

Chris (Tiffer)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts