Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this cold weather I've experienced some issues. Wouldn't go into 7th gear. One day had auto hold car did start/stop but didn't start, my quick thinging put in park and restarted engine. Others would be stuck as don't start in drive.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Not familiar with this car, but neglecting 7th gear may be normal when cold. Many autos hold the lower gears for longer to heat the motor/fluid/transmission faster.

If it's an issue, disable stop/Start for cold weather driving. Could be more strain on the 12v battery, starter etc. Tho it should disabled below normal working temperature by default.
Could a temperature sensor be faulty?

·
Registered
86 Posts
With this cold weather I've experienced some issues. Wouldn't go into 7th gear. One day had auto hold car did start/stop but didn't start, my quick thinging put in park and restarted engine. Others would be stuck as don't start in drive.
Does the car display which gear you are in when in drive? ie D1, D2 etc...

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not familiar with this car, but neglecting 7th gear may be normal when cold. Many autos hold the lower gears for longer to heat the motor/fluid/transmission faster.

If it's an issue, disable stop/Start for cold weather driving. Could be more strain on the 12v battery, starter etc. Tho it should disabled below normal working temperature by default.
Could a temperature sensor be faulty?
Even when it was warm was holding onto 6th reving the bollocks I had to turn the car off to fix it. I think it's just Kia niggles more than Germans but keeps on going.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
When moving off was always in 2nd
I don't like the sound of that! When the car is stationary, the gearbox should select first gear, ready for a quick pull-away.

That said, do you mean that it doesn't downshift to 1st when you are coming to a stop? If so, does it drop into 1st when you have actually ceased movement?

As regards the unwillingness to select top gear, does your model have driving modes, a la ECO, Normal & Sport? If the car is in Sport mode, then it is quite normal for the DCT (we are talking DCT here......as opposed to a torque convertor box of tricks?) to remain in 6th till much later than in 7th. I can't remember exactly when that top gear kicks in while in Sport mode as I rarely use it.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't like the sound of that! When the car is stationary, the gearbox should select first gear, ready for a quick pull-away.

That said, do you mean that it doesn't downshift to 1st when you are coming to a stop? If so, does it drop into 1st when you have actually ceased movement?

As regards, the unwillingness to select top gear, does your model have driving modes, a la ECO, Normal & Sport? If the car is in Sport mode, then it is quite normal for the DCT (we are talking DCT here......as opposed to a torque convertor box of tricks?) to remain in 6th till much later than in 7th. I can't remember exactly when that top gear kicks in while in Sport mode as I rarely use it.
No it doesn't go into 1st or 7th my model only has sport button. It was not in sports mode. I think the gearbox gets confused. One day it stalled on round about and restarted itself how does an automatic stall? Lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
No it doesn't go into 1st or 7th my model only has sport button. It was not in sports mode. I think the gearbox gets confused. One day it stalled on round about and restarted itself how does an automatic stall? Lol
Stopping and restarting at a roundabout etc sounds like normal operation of the ISG although you don't describe exactly what happened.

Mine behaves similarly but it is all part of the ISG and energy harvesting that goes with a Mild Hybrid. On the approach to a roundabout for example the engine will cut out before you have actually come to a halt then restart when you use the throttle, this eill be accompanied by a green letter A on the dashboard display.

If it isn't that, it would be highly unusual for an automatic or DCT to stall. Even if you don't have an MHEV the ISG will act pretty much the same I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Further to 'Alanw47's post, have you tried switching off ISG? Still the same or different?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Further to 'Alanw47's post, have you tried switching off ISG? Still the same or different?
For local journeys that's almost a 'must'. I find it quite intrusive and distracting on a quick trip to the shops etc.

·
Registered
902 Posts
When moving off was always in 2nd
This is a trait for low traction conditions.
Could it be stuck in slippery surface mode?

If it resets when you Re start the car, then it sounds as if the transmission is in a snow/ice mode.

Gear shifting is avoided in slippery mode to avoid loosing the small amount of traction that may exist between tyre and road surface

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stopping and restarting at a roundabout etc sounds like normal operation of the ISG although you don't describe exactly what happened.

Mine behaves similarly but it is all part of the ISG and energy harvesting that goes with a Mild Hybrid. On the approach to a roundabout for example the engine will cut out before you have actually come to a halt then restart when you use the throttle, this eill be accompanied by a green letter A on the dashboard display.

If it isn't that, it would be highly unusual for an automatic or DCT to stall. Even if you don't have an MHEV the ISG will act pretty much the same I believe.

No stalling the engine is not a normal operation. Same with you stall manual you get a judder. I'm not a retard think I know what start stop is.
There isn't much you can do so a visit to your supplying dealer for diagnosis and remedy is the way to go.
Half dealers don't even know themselves Ive been many dealers and they just don't have a clue
This is a trait for low traction conditions.
Could it be stuck in slippery surface mode?

If it resets when you Re start the car, then it sounds as if the transmission is in a snow/ice mode.
The car drove like normal in snow. Used all the gears. Snow/Ice mode doesn't make the car select lower gear. The Sportage always selects lower then you would driving manual but it's just enough torque.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Perhaps the above is a clue to your issue.
one clutch controls 1,3,5 & 7 gears, the other clutch 2,4 & 6.
Odd numbered gear clutch not working?
Into dealership for diagnostics. :unsure:

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps the above is a clue to your issue.
one clutch controls 1,3,5 & 7 gears, the other clutch 2,4 & 6.
Odd numbered gear clutch not working?
Into dealership for diagnostics. :unsure:
It's working now, it's intermittent. I wouldn't take it for one thing I'm going to make a lift of about 20 things so they will need the car for like a month they just hand it back anyway and say it's fixed without attempting it aslong as it drives they don't care.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited by Moderator)
I don't believeI implied you were a retard. If nobody offers help you would never get any problem sorted. Hopefully you'll get a better response from your dealer

The car shuts off before it comes to a halt that's how mild hybrid works if someone doesn't even know this they shouldn't even be on the road. Hell dealers tell me (edit to remove swearword) I open it Infront of them and tell them show me. Dealers don't know anything anyway I had ford dealer telling me the light is fixed and I pulled it out with my hand Infront of him.

Edited iooi.
Be aware of forum rules.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Half dealers don't even know themselves Ive been many dealers and they just don't have a clue.
Don't use that half then; use the other half? :(

Seriously though, I'm confused as to whether you have a fault in the ISG system or a faulty DCT.........or no fault at all. It would be enlightening if you could organise a test drive in one or two examples of the same car to see if they behave differently.

If you firmly believe that your car is faulty, then you have a great warranty and any fault such as you have described would undoubtedly be repaired under that guarantee. Without meaning to be offensive, I am conscious of the fact that the vast majority of complaints worldwide about Hyundai/KIA DCT, investigated by in-house engineers, concluded that lack of driver understanding and unrealistic expectations of DCT were at the root of the complaints.

You remarked about the vehicle stalling but I thought 'Alanw47' explained that the engine did not stall but switched off via the ISG, perhaps earlier than you expected. Certainly, the diesels are equipped with anti-stall technology and I'd guess that the same applies to petrol variants although I stand to be corrected on that.

Is there any information available to support your problem, either in this website or in others? I don't pay a great deal of attention to SUV forums so might well have missed any similar issues reported by members here. Out of curiosity, is this your first DCT KIA ?

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't use that half then; use the other half? :(

Seriously though, I'm confused as to whether you have a fault in the ISG system or a faulty DCT.........or no fault at all. It would be enlightening if you could organise a test drive in one or two examples of the same car to see if they behave differently.

If you firmly believe that your car is faulty, then you have a great warranty and any fault such as you have described would undoubtedly be repaired under that guarantee. Without meaning to be offensive, I am conscious of the fact that the vast majority of complaints worldwide about Hyundai/KIA DCT, investigated by in-house engineers, concluded that lack of driver understanding and unrealistic expectations of DCT were at the root of the complaints.

You remarked about the vehicle stalling but I thought 'Alanw47' explained that the engine did not stall but switched off via the ISG, perhaps earlier than you expected. Certainly, the diesels are equipped with anti-stall technology and I'd guess that the same applies to petrol variants although I stand to be corrected on that.

Is there any information available to support your problem, either in this website or in others? I don't pay a great deal of attention to SUV forums so might well have missed any similar issues reported by members here. Out of curiosity, is this your first DCT KIA ?
I don't think you know what your on about you sound like the dealer squirming out of a claim. I know the difference between start/ stop stalling. I work with vehicles for a living and have advanced driving skills I have motorbike license bus car and hgv. I always tell the machanics the brake is clamped on he asks how do you know this because it's almost about to catch fire checks it all over nothing wrong next day catches fire. I can usually find alot problems in cars because I drive them properly and have good Intuition. I think it's the electronics got confused.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.