Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am planning to buy a kia sedona. I read an ad for one on ebay, and the owner said that the 2.9 diesel engine is a Mercedes engine. Does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks.

·
Registered
702 Posts
bertie6 said:
Hi, I am planning to buy a kia sedona. I read an ad for one on ebay, and the owner said that the 2.9 diesel engine is a Mercedes engine. Does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks.

Sorry its not , just another internet/dealer myth. If you look back through the threads on this forum or the other forum there is a thread about the engine and it's origins

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. My recent turbo blow out ment having a turtle lift back with my break down recovery cover "Auto national rescue". He sais sounded like the turbo ...but as these cars have a MERCEDES engine it is worth repairing. This is the 2nd or 3rd time by independent chats that Mercedes has been said is the engine ?
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
702 Posts
stevegx said:
Hi. My recent turbo blow out ment having a turtle lift back with my break down recovery cover "Auto national rescue". He sais sounded like the turbo ...but as these cars have a MERCEDES engine it is worth repairing. This is the 2nd or 3rd time by independent chats that Mercedes has been said is the engine ?
Steve Gx Blackpool

I knew I had seen it somewhere on here in which Murphwiz said it wasn't a Mercedes engine( see post below)

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/engine-information-please_topic310_post832.html?KW=#832

I know when I bought the car from my parents 8 years ago the old man said it was a Mercedes engine , I looked at the Mercedes Diesel sprinter engines at the time and it didn't look like one then I heard it was some other makers diesel engine but Murphwiz says in the post above its a Mazda design. I think theconfusioncomes from the Mercedes Sprinter having at one point a 2.9 Diesel engine.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just as a side thought ever wondered why it says V6 on the log book for a 4 cylinder Diesel and it used to (not sure if it still does) come up on the MOT computer as a V6. Have a look atE Bay and seehow many Sedona 2.9 Diesels are sold as a V6 Mercedes Diesel engined cars

·
Registered
38 Posts
Could the confusion arise from confusing Ssangyong and Kia. Blasphemy i know as our Kia's are much better built but i am certain the 2.7 in the Ssangyong Rubbish...sorry Rodius is a Merc sourced powerplant. We looked at the Ssangyong when considering the Sedona and yes you could load 7 people on board and still go orienteering in the boot but it feels about a decade behind the Kia in terms of build quality and design....oh and it looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and bashed it's face off of every branch on the way down.

Cavey

·
Registered
702 Posts
cavey76 said:
Could the confusion arise from confusing Ssangyong and Kia. Blasphemy i know as our Kia's are much better built but i am certain the 2.7 in the Ssangyong Rubbish...sorry Rodius is a Merc sourced powerplant. We looked at the Ssangyong when considering the Sedona and yes you could load 7 people on board and still go orienteering in the boot but it feels about a decade behind the Kia in terms of build quality and design....oh and it looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and bashed it's face off of every branch on the way down.

Cavey

Hi Cavey

You could be right there as the SSangyong did indeed have a a Mercedes based diesel in it or at least the early versions did not too sure if they still fit it or not and as you saythat'swhere the good news ends. They have one of the worse transfer boxes around. I have a friend who works in a 4x4 dealer and they have stopped buy the SSangyong due to this problem. You are right about them looking a decade behind the Kia.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As no doubt already stated elsewhere by more wizened folk than me...the 2.9 diesel is an amalgam of Kia and Hyundai.

The engine is shared by the Sedona and Terracan respectively.

Subsequent mechanics (mainly on the Hyundai owners club) have testimonies toallay the Mercedes myth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts