Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just thought i would let you all know a possible problem/fix for a leaky coolant system.

My father in laws sedona started loosing coolant. He was a bit mythed as he had already had the usual heater pipes replaced 6 months earlier. Me being a mechanic by trade had a look. It seemed to be coming from the water pump area. I removed the cambelt covers and pressure tested. No leak. The water pump showed no signs of leaking. I ran the engine till it was hot and then switched off. Hey presto, a leak. I could see the coolant running down from the corner of the head gasket above the fuel pump. Decision time. He said take off the head, so off it came. Head gasket was in first class condition. The water pump and fuel pump mount onto a large aluminium plate on the end of the block. The cylinder head covers the top edge of the plate. A small piece of gasket behind the plate had somehow been pushed outwards allowing coolant to run into a channel below the head and out of the front edge. I removed the fuel pump, cambelt pulleys and plate. I did not remove the sump (just squeezed some new sealer in gap). Replaced gasket and crankseal. Reassembled and the jobs a good un. I hope this will help some one.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts