Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few days on odd occasions our car has struggled to start, it just whistles over like theres no fuel? Fortunetly so far it has always started however earlier today it seemed to loose power for a few seconds and then the engine management light came on.After turning the car off and back on seems to have cured the problem for now at least and the management light has gone off too!
Could really do with some advice on what this could be? Yes it does have diesel in!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You wont know untill you connect it to a code reader/diagnostic equipmemt as the management light coming on will possibly have stored a code on the ecu.Once you find that out then its a start to what could be wrong. If the management light doesn't come on again and the car runs normally then dont worry about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was hoping the light going out now means the problem / error is now not a problem!I was only saying yesterday how reliable and bomb proof these cars are!
Could replacing the fuel filter help? Like most things in life I need to start off with the cheap parts first!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It could be one of many sensors relating to the engine. The only way to find out why the light came on is to connect to code reader or diagnostic gear.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you going to buy a fuel filter make sure its a proper genuine Kia one as some of the aftermarket ones can give trouble.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ermmmmm, The last diagnostic bill I got was from a Bmw about 9 years ago and it was £180 + required a £36 sensor!
I have some bad memories of diagnostic bills!

Il bare it in mind though, thanks very much for your quick and useful advice.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yeh some garages charge you anything from a half hour to an hours labour just to diagnose. You can get these code readers cheap enough on ebay but they only tell you what sensor is not sending the correct info or no info to the ecu, they do not repair it . Then you have to test that sensor/part and also the wiring to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking back at the history the last fuel filter was replaced in June 2010 35586 miles, it now has 51786 on the clock.I had a friend replace the oil, oil filter and air filter when I bought it last year however I never botherd with the fuel filter, not sure of the recomended interval changes on these?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update on this one!
I filled the tank with diesel and have never run it below quarter since.

Fingers crossed&touch wood I have never had any problems since!

I'm thinking it may have picked some _ rap up?

I still must get round to fitting a fuel filter though, Thanks again for all of your input.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi. Diagnostic checks are around £80 for one check. If this does not finds fault then another check is another £80. Beware of this added cost. I thought the diagnostic check would say what was wrong and have all the problems fixed or parts replaced! For one price! Steve Gx Blackpool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.