Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update on this, sorry its been a while.

I have brought an elm327 code reader with the torque pro app on my phone. plugged this in and live data shows that the intake air temperature sensor is reading -40 constantly so I brought a new map sensor as this is the intake air temperature sensor 2 according to the manual on here but it is still reading -40 so I am thining

1. the wiring to the sensor is faulty
2. the new sensor is faulty
3. the intake air temperature sensor is located elsewhere

now my head is going with number 1, but its going to be a real pain tracing the wiring from the sensor all the way back to the ecu, has anybody done anything similar even on a different sensor?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
sorry should also say that the code p0098 keeps popping up, as soon as I remove it comes straight back which is because the intake air temperature sensor is reading -40.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Have you checked your swirl flap actuator connecting rod to see if it's moving smoothly?

Won't cost you a penny - see my P2015 code thread for details.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
According to the Manual I have, the 2nd Air Temp Sensor is in the Boost Pressure Sensor
yea I thought this too, when unplugging the sensor the reading is still -40 so must indicate a fault in the wiring?

Have you checked your swirl flap actuator connecting rod to see if it's moving smoothly?

Won't cost you a penny - see my P2015 code thread for details.
thank you for this. I will check this too but I need to clear the other p0098 code first.
car isn't running too bad but I can tell that some of the power it had previously has gone

·
Registered
555 Posts
-40 might be the default value if nothing measured?
Have a search in the Service Manual for IATS. There is a bit of troubleshooting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think I have found the problem. there was a break in the wire from the map sensor to the ecu. the orange cable which carries the signal for the Intake Air Temperature sensor had a break in it, soldered this back together yesterday and all seems fine.
thanks a lot for the help especially for the link to the manual, wouldn't have been able to do it without that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
ok so managed to sort the previous error, now getting no errors but I still very occasionally get the same Hesitancy when accelerating. always happens between 2-2.5k rpm, its like the turbo cuts in then cuts out again and by the time I hit 2.5k it is pulling hard again.

its strange and doesn't happen everytime I boot it, anything in particular I should be looking out for?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Zenith125, glad you got the code error fault sorted. As I said before it still sounds the same as my egr problem as this only happened occasionally and in the same rev range as yours. Did you check the Egr opened with voltage and did you check the manifold elbow was clean? Mine has been running fine but had to have a new clutch/flywheel etc last week due to the slave cylinder seal bursting inside the clutch and covering everything with fluid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi Zenith125, glad you got the code error fault sorted. As I said before it still sounds the same as my egr problem as this only happened occasionally and in the same rev range as yours. Did you check the Egr opened with voltage and did you check the manifold elbow was clean? Mine has been running fine but had to have a new clutch/flywheel etc last week due to the slave cylinder seal bursting inside the clutch and covering everything with fluid.
Hi, I did clean the egr and it was opening fine, wasn't too bad to be fair. the elbow you talk about is that the one the egr sits on top of? it goes to intake manifold doesn't it? I had a look and it was quite bad, maybe I should take it off and give it off again and give it a clean. I had a look in the intake manifold by taking the boost pipe off from the intercooler and that was quite carboned up and could do with a clean.

its just strange how its intermittent, surely if they were that gummed up the car would run a lot slower all of the time?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi, where the EGR sits is on top of the cast iron exhaust manifold. The manifold is about 25mm square and about 40mm deep, I used a vacuum cleaner with a small attachment and a flat bladed screwdriver to clean it out as the opened into the exhaust is nearest the engine. Checked it was clean with a small inspection mirror on stick and a torch.
Never really understood why mine was intermittent as it was totally blocked but have never had a problem since changing the EGR and cleaning manifold.
Hope you have some luck with it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not sure but when I considered the time taking egr and egr cooler off , the replacement egr was less than £50 off Ebay so I just changed it. Main thing to check is the manifold as even if the egr is opening the gas needs to go somewhere.
Will try and check my data again on Friday and see if I can help with your boost question as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have had a look at this tonight. had torque pro on whilst driving, car is boosting to 22.6psi and was pulling well. when this hesitancy happened at about 2500rpm then the boost dropped momentarily to around 5psi, and then starting picking back up to the 22.6psi.

Now if it was a boost leak I would expect the boost to drop constantly?

it feels as though something is telling the boost to drop and opening the wastegate?

also egr error is constantly going from 99% to -99% don't know if thats related or not.

I am also getting the error code p0238
P0238 Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor A Circuit High
but MAP sensor has been chanced recently so shouldn't be that. -- worth noting that when the boost got cut tonight it didn't log this code.

Could this problem be caused by the boost controller/solenoid being faulty?

·
Registered
429 Posts
HI,
Sorry have not been back online but car has been a pain in my wallet for last 3 weeks, clutch slave seal failed resulting in new clutch/slave/flywheel etc, followed by alternator failed (which I replaced) , then to top that radiator leak which I am still waiting for it to arrive.

Did you replace the boost sensor in top of intercooler?
What is your EGR reading percentage open?, Mine normally opens and shuts when you rev engine from 9.8% to 37%, when I had an error percentage I put it down to the stick/blocked EGR and that is when I replaced it.
Did you take the EGR off and check the exhaust manifold?

Never had any codes on my Foxwell when had this type of fault.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
HI,
Sorry have not been back online but car has been a pain in my wallet for last 3 weeks, clutch slave seal failed resulting in new clutch/slave/flywheel etc, followed by alternator failed (which I replaced) , then to top that radiator leak which I am still waiting for it to arrive.

Did you replace the boost sensor in top of intercooler?
What is your EGR reading percentage open?, Mine normally opens and shuts when you rev engine from 9.8% to 37%, when I had an error percentage I put it down to the stick/blocked EGR and that is when I replaced it.
Did you take the EGR off and check the exhaust manifold?

Never had any codes on my Foxwell when had this type of fault.
Sorry to hear of your car problems.

yea boost sensor ontop of the intercooler has been replaced.

I did clean the EGR valve, but didn't clean this elbow, but surely if this was the problem there would be limited boost all of the time?

·
Registered
429 Posts
You would think so but this was the only that cured my problem. When changing the rad yesterday I also found the pipe from top of intercooler onto inlet manifold had a broken clip that I replaced with 80mm clamp.
I never had a fault code and after my repairs and connecting the battery I had the ESP OFF light on, code reader found no codes and after starting the car 3 times went off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey so I have read through this thread every post.. I’m having issues with my egr too so sorry to hijack.
Getting the p0404 error.

I have changed the egr twice already, changed the egt probe on the top manifold. But now I’m at a loss.
Seeing post about cleaning areas I gave some ports a clean when I changed the egr.

I have run diagnostic and and can see the egr working until it stops.

few things I have noticed.....
  • Throttle position shows 12.16% when it’s flat or not pressed at all
  • If I don’t go over 50mph then the egr issue hardly comes up.

I’m at a loss now. Any advice???

tia and thanks to Richard for suggesting this post

21 - 40 of 40 Posts