Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I got my 2.0 crdi awd Sportage in July this year after a long wait (6 months), but it was worth it. It drives like a charm and the 9,000 km so far where delicious.
But, as there is always room for more power and at that time I couldn't get the 184 hp option, I took it for a remap at someone I trust (they've pumped up my previous 2 cars and there where no problems at all). They use ECU remaping from these guys: http://www.dimsport.it/ and it took the car somewhere in the vicinity of 170 hp and 400 Nm.
The car got substantially better, both in performance and fuel economy.
The only problem is, if I push the pedal too hard under 2000 rpm, there is a sudden powerful vibration that fades away after I pass 2000 rpm. My guess is the flywheel can't handle the extra torque, but I'm not sure. Can you speculate?
I'm not into "WOT-ing" the car at low revs, I know it's bad, it just happened when I wanted to pass someone and haven't down shift. The fact is, before the remap, this didn't happened.
Should I remove or change the remap, it's to aggressive?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Removing the map would be a good idea. If the vibration stops then at least you will know that the remap is the most likely cause.

A UK based tuner can tune that engine to a claimed 180bhp and 285Lbft of torque (not sure what that is in Euro units.) I can't see them offering the service if it caused problems with the powertrain. It may be that their map is just a better match for the car. I've used them myself with no issues.

Incidentally, I haven't tried it myself but they can tune the 1.7 diesel to 155bhp and 250 Lbft of torque if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
st.trory said:
You do realise from 2012 the new mot comes into force.
Which bans remapping ecu & chipping in the uk
Mot centres will have to scan/check ecu :-(

Are you sure? There was a lot of scaremongering a while ago prompted by this document. It recommended that 'illegal' remapping was checked for at MoT time. However, remapping, or tuning in general, is not illegal in the UK so there is nothing to check for and certainly won't result in a car failing the MoT... unless it screws up theemissions. Just more meddling from Europe

As far as I am aware, the only significant change for 2012 is the introduction of checks on towbars and 13pin electrics.Apparently, 7 pin are exempt

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.
No worries here about MoT, I don't live in the UK.;)
I'll try to explain the phenomenon in detail: along with the vibration comes a very loud noise, similar to what the car sounds like when driving with a side on the separating line between driving and emergency lanes on a highway (you know, they have those small and dense bumps), only louder, like a sub-woofer. Those who remap it say that it might be because of the very rich mix that the common rail injects in the cylinders. Anyway, I'll go change it to a less aggressive remap and, if this won't fix the problem, I'll drop it for good.
If any of you can bring this problem to someone that successfully remaps the 2.0, without any issues, and ask for an opinion, please do, I'll be grateful. :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
st.trory said:

Ok, I've had a word with my MoT garage owning mate.

New MoT checks for 2012 in addition tothetowbar stuff already mentioned...

1. Removing the ign key and making sure the steering locks
2. Any dash warning light not working or staying on,even brake fluid light, any light.
3. All ball joint boots not to have any splits in them
4. Inner cv boots
5. Driver's seat must adjust forward and back.
6. Any lens that has had light reduced (smoked lenses)
7. Corroded power steering pipes inc coolers
8. Catalytic converter missing (deemed to be illegal as from next year)
9. Fitmentof HIDs to non-hid cars (need to have self-levelling and wash lights to have HIDs)

And several other minor detail changes.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
26 Posts
Techno said:
st.trory said:

2. Any dash warning light not working or staying on,even brake fluid light, any light.
4. Inner cv boots
9. Fitmentof HIDs to non-hid cars (need to have self-levelling and wash lights to have HIDs)

Number 9 - Do you know if that applies retrospectively ? i.e. Fitted in 2010, will a car fail the MOT in 2012

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Beachbum said:
Techno said:
st.trory said:

4. Inner cv boots

Number 9 - Do you know if that applies retrospectively ? i.e. Fitted in 2010, will a car fail the MOT in 2012

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Beachbum said:

I asked the same question about 5 because my Land Rover's seat wasn't designed to adjust at all. The reply was that if it wasn't like that when the vehicle was manufactured,then it will fail.

So, yes it will be retrospective for the HIDs... unless you also fit self levellers and washers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is the car automatic? I know exactly the noise you're on about. One of the vehicles I drive at work (Vito van, dieselauto) does this, despite being returned to the workshop several times, they cannot diagnose the fault!

I doubt it's anything to do with the remap, but I'd get the standard map put back on and take it to the dealers. I suspect it's a drivetrain issue.

Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I'm back with a new remap. Seems like the first one was to aggressive. Went to the guys that did it, they changed it to original software and the noise was gone. Then they installed the softer remap and everything is perfect. So, problem solved. They have two stages for this car: 156CP with 365Nm or 163CP with 380Nm. The theory is that the second one was too much for the injectors and some kind of protection-limitation intervened that translated into this vibration. Perhaps, in order to better it to a near 180 hp limit you need to work more thoroughly on the whole ECU software and not just on the fuel mixture. The cars runs now very fine, not that powerful anymore, but just enough push it better on high gears, which was the car's Achilles heel (not enough torque on the 5th and 6th), so I'm glad to have found an "agreement" between the 2 issues. With this new remap, I just realized that the aggressive one managed to screw around with my overall engine noise as well, now it's quieter, just as the standard one, even when accelerating with full throttle.
And another thing...I drove the 1.7 diesel with FWD a couple of days ago. It's just me or this engine seems a lot more fun than the 2.0?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Alex

I haven't driven the 2.0, just the 1.7 in test drives and now as owner. In test drives (before I got used to the vehicle, it drives very differently to my previous car) I worried it didn't feel 'fun' enough. I did consider getting the 2.0 but with the extra weight didn't think it would make much difference.

By day 2 of owning the vehicle I had got used to it and I find it quite fun. Although I have considered a remap or something. I do notice a lack of torque at times (my previous car had a lot of torque) and I find I often have to change down (more often than I used to) to get better performance.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Alex maybe the remap you initially got just upped the fuelling and did not up the turbo boost. So there was too much fuel entering into pots before the turbo even spooled up so giving these vibes. Too rich a charge going into engine IMO.
Well now its sorted with a slightly mellow map all should be well.
The remap I have on my Seat Leon is one that increases the fuel and also increases boost pressure slightly. My hp has gone from 140 to 185bhp and torque has gone from 325 to 400Nm. Its a quick car now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi guys,
Would love to get a re-map done my on 2.0 KX3 Auto, do they not void the warranty though?
I would be a bit worried about taking the car into the dealers for a service or such and they checking the ECU for what ever reason, be it an update and finding the new map in place.

Can you get these specific maps on a removable device? Or even better if i could flash it myself and then change back when needed to.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The engine ECU is supposedly tamper proof. It isn't but, unfortunately, neither is it currently possible for owners to flash it with a new map through the OBD port. The new map will be a permanent fixture on the ECU and as such will be detectable. There is also the possibility that it might be overwritten by a new map while in the dealer for a service etc.

Yes, it would almost certainly void any KIA warranty on the powertrain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all,
Unfortunately I'm back with the same problem.
So, as I told you the last time, I went a step backward with the remap by having the softer upgrade installed. The day I changed it, the car had no problems whatsoever, and I didn't need it for like a week, so I never got the chance to test it further. Last weekend I took it for a long ride and I realized that the vibration+noise mix is still there, not that loud or shivering anymore as it was with the aggressive remap, but it's there.
To make the long story short:
'11 Sportage 2.0 crdi diesel AWD with manual gearbox remap issue
-when cold, with any remap, the engine works perfectly fine in every condition
-when it reaches the optimal temperature, if I push the acceleration from 70 to 100% throttle and the revs are somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm, it vibrates with some noise , without any warning light (depending on the remap stage and the throttle opening, the vibration is not-that-strong to strong); after 2000 rpm, vibration disappears.
-when returning to original map, works fine no matter the engine temperature
I talked with those who remapped it and they promised to investigate further on this matter.
I, for one, suspect that the turbine doesn't receive enough fuel-air mix for its increased pressure at low revs. Then again, I'm not that familiarized with what these remaps are doing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts