Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My car is getting close to 100k miles and 8 yo. It's a 62plate Ceed 2nd gen 1.6 CRDI.

I'm looking for your thoughts, here's what I cound on the various forums:
Now, as to what exactly to buy, I found Shell Helix fully synth ECT 0-30 here:

And 5-30 here:

Until last year I let Kia take care of it, but now it's the first DIY change.

Bbased on the old clunkers with no DPF I had before, I would have rather gone for a 10W40 on a 100kmiles+ engine. Have the times changed and 0W30 (or 5W30?) is recommended for an old, but DPF equipped, engine?

Recomandation, thoughts, experience is very much appreciated

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Recomandation, thoughts, experience is very much appreciated
You can be guided by any of a variety of websites similar to that recommended by ‘Lancelot1937’ but your owner’s handbook should have the necessary information. The specific viscosity numbers you mentioned are fine for high mileage engines like yours which, unlike engines from the 1950s, is only middle-aged. A quarter of a million miles is not at all uncommon on modern engines now, thanks to better engineering tolerances in the manufacture allied to much superior lubrication.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
20 years since I retired but I had several petrol Ford Mondeos which went to between 125,000 and 169,000 miles in 3 years, none had to be topped up between services and all were lubricated with the same viscosity oil all of the time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a 2001 Almera Tino (Almera MPV) before my current Venga - always used 10W/40 ACEA A3/B4 API SG or higher as it was middle of the specs in the handbook. I only took it to 75K miles over 17 years but they were mostly cold start around town and never getting warm miles.
Changed oil every year with a Mann filter and never had any issues, never used a drop of oil between changes.
As long as you use what the handbook says, you should be fine.
A point to watch out for is the ACEA rating btw, it used to be A3/B4 for everything but recently specs seem to change often and so try and match handbook if you can. With ACEA it does not necessarily follow that later is better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts