Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
i am a new sedona owner and i am in process of changing head gaskets as i bought a motor with gasket failure i believe it to be a rover engine kv6 v6 2.5 litre . i have since found out this lump was prone for head gasket failure can any body out there give us some pointers i know that there are different gaskets available some are multi layered steeland some have a silicone bead around the cylinder bore part is the rover engine heads a straight swap if i need to replace and themwill rovergaskets be ok ? is the rover kv6 lump able to be used if a change the lump completely?

can i time the cams up to rovers haynes manual

·
Registered
702 Posts
birdwood said:
hi all
i am a new sedona owner and i am in process of changing head gaskets as i bought a motor with gasket failure i believe it to be a rover engine kv6 v6 2.5 litre . i have since found out this lump was prone for head gasket failure can any body out there give us some pointers i know that there are different gaskets available some are multi layered steeland some have a silicone bead around the cylinder bore part is the rover engine heads a straight swap if i need to replace and themwill rovergaskets be ok ? is the rover kv6 lump able to be used if a change the lump completely?

can i time the cams up to rovers haynes manual
Hi
you need to google Rover 75 as these have the same engine as yours. The guys on there are a lot more knowledgeable about these engings and how to do the head gasket and which gasket is best.

·
Registered
662 Posts
there are a number of diffrences between the sedona v6 and a rover 75 or zt v6 both engines were made by a company called Powertrain but the head castings are diffrent you are better off getting the genuine kia gasket the multi layer gaskets were for the k series engine and the aftermarket suppliers then adapted them for the v6. make sure you get the heads crack tested and checked for distortion before you refit themthey can distort if its been run low on coolent

you also need to find the cause of the origional failure this is usualy a coolent loss situation from the rear coolentpipes or the heater valve on the bulkhead

this v6 is a great engine but it does not tolleratelow coolent levels or overheating

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi viking paul
thanks for your in put i believe the original engine overheating cause was from a stuck closed thermostat,, which then took out the head gasket on the front head offside cylinder,, which was sucking in water from the coolant jacket and blowing steam out the exhaust .i intend to get both heads skimmed and crack tested. i wanted to know tho does this engine require new head bolts as i believe they are stretch bolts and do you know where i may be able to get reasonable priced original kia gaskets and bolts many thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
Viking Paul said:
there are a number of diffrences between the sedona v6 and a rover 75 or zt v6 both engines were made by a company called Powertrain but the head castings are diffrent you are better off getting the genuine kia gasket the multi layer gaskets were for the k series engine and the aftermarket suppliers then adapted them for the v6. make sure you get the heads crack tested and checked for distortion before you refit themthey can distort if its been run low on coolent

you also need to find the cause of the origional failure this is usualy a coolent loss situation from the rear coolentpipes or the heater valve on the bulkhead

this v6 is a great engine but it does not tolleratelow coolent levels or overheating
Hi Paul

i was thinking more about the Rover 75 guys for the strip down and rebuild of the engine rather than for gaskets etc. They have (or some of them have done numerous head gaskets having started on the late model Rover 800's) They really do have a wealth of knowledge with these engines and the best way of how to make the job easier etc.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Main thing to check for, liners lifting, huge problem on these, i'd bet a fair whack theres not a sedona v6 out there with the factory engine still fitted, kia purchased the junk design that rover tried in the last of the rover 800's, nothing but grief, the 75 lump was re-engineered to cure most ills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts