Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Well saw some of the responses coming from a mile away before they were posted.

Folks in my eyes it's simple. Different things for different people. Each to their own and as long as OP is happy then who are we (forum members) to question?

Enjoy the mod 馃檪 and as Arnie said..ignore the naysayers.

Registered
Perhaps the moderators could set up a separate subsection for modified car discussions? Save some of the negativity we've seen as of late on these threads?

Reactions: phil866

Registered
Think we just need a place where folk can discuss modifications without being jumped on by others with different opinions.

Based on the last few threads I've commented on, this place is turning into one of the least friendly forums I'm on :-/

People want different things and we need to accept that. Not everyone is bothered by 7 year warranties, fuel consumption, low insurance and pottering around at 25 mpg in a diesel doing sub 10k pa miles cause they get 45 mpg.

Reactions: kia62

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #26
Agree lolgeoff. Insurance cannot wiggle out of third party claims - even if your car is stolen by a 13 year old on crystal meth the insurance company has to meet third party claims arising.

While I don't really understand why someone would do this, it is the OP's choice and it is his car and he is not obliged to have comprehensive cover anyway.
And it appears neither do you.
I do, but was wondering WTF you were going on about to start with?

Super Moderator
No increase in Premium, also enquired about going to 20" instead of the 19"s and also no increase in premium.

Thought about 20's to fill the arches a bit more.
Except that you need to use lower profile tyres (same rolling radius) to ensure that speedo read correct.
So larger rims will not fill the arches anymore than 19 inch wheels.

Super Moderator
Based on the last few threads I've commented on, this place is turning into one of the least friendly forums I'm on :-/
If only people would think before posting.

TBH. if people want to talk modifications, then fine. If other do not like it then stay away.
But as this forum is more based on helping other users and "Warranty" is something that often crops up. As we are all aware modifications can/will invalidate the warranty.

So to all users. If you are not a fan of "modifications " then take a step back and leave the thread alone.

One user has already been banned for their attitude on this subject. Even after being warned.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #30
Don't look at me, I just like modifying my cars and it's not me that has the issue with it?

Reactions: jcapari

Registered
I think we (forum members) just need to appreciate the car means different things to different people.

And with that I am done :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #32
Getting the size and profile is a must, slightly dropping it by 20-30mm will defo give the look I'm after.

Attachments

Registered
We are still searching for a new motor and having had an MPV in the past and since we liked the higher driving position we thought we would look at SUV's.

First on the list was a Kia Sportage since the dealer is only about a 5 minute walk away and he was good when we had the Ceed. Never got as far as driving one, wife had an issue with her right hip getting into the passenger seat (OK with the drivers) and we thought that the floor covering and other interior features really let the car down. Went to look at its sibling the Tucson which was even worse.

We got a 2 day drive in a Volvo XC40 next but since it was the R design it again had sports seats and the wife had in issue again. The next model up (our preferred spec) had flat seats which the wife was OK with so we gave the car a realistic test. Compared to our existing car it was 50% more expensive, slower, noisier, thirstier, had a lumpy ride, wallowy handling had less space in the rear and a much smaller boot with no ability to carry a full size spare. And remember this is the SUV that tops all the tests. We did like the higher drive so decided to keep looking.

Since then we have looked at the Audi Q3 (very poor), the VW Tiguan (bigger but shabby inside) and only 2 days ago the BMW X1. The one he showed us on the used lot (X-Line - our preferred spec) was fine for the wife and with a slidy rear seat the boot space was OK. It would also hold a full size spare. But with the slidy rear seat forward rear space is useless except for kids. As for the drive, well we did not get one. I had booked a 2.0i but when we got there (a 67 mile round trip) he told us he had no petrols (despite saying he had one 5 days before) so would have to be a diesel. When I said no point he offered to get a brand new plug in model out of the showroom and turn off the hybrid bit leaving us with just the 1.5 3 cylinder engine, asked him what was the point, he could not answer, We left it at that.

My conclusion so far (and probably my final conclusion) is we will stick with a large hatch or estate. More space, less money and other than a normal driving position its all advantages.
Have you looked at the RAV4? More expensive than I could afford but looked really good

Registered
Have you looked at the RAV4? More expensive than I could afford but looked really good
Had a brief look but not really impressed but may look again.

Size wise it closer to an X3/XC60/Q5 than a X1/XC40/Q3 but at less than X1/XC40/Q3 money that makes it a bit of a bargain. Its very well equipped (as you would expect and comes with a long warranty but the interior quality seemed poor (loads of hard plastics where at that price I would expect something softer) especially when the example we were shown had a split in the rear seat (1000 miles on the clock). The salesman said that a new seat was on order but why after such low miles.

On the day we could not look in the boot since the battery died as we were sat in the car but the salesman gave us a brochure which he said all the info was in, it wasn't.

I still need convincing about these charge as you drive hybrids as well. Chap at work had an Auris estate and on a 100 mile business trip my 1.4 TSi Leon would do more mpg without the need to drive with the HGV's in the left lane. The RAV4 has a 2.5 litre petrol engine and on a motorway trip that is what will be powering a large heavy car, how economical will it be? No point looking at the official figures since we know they are nonsense. Other chaps in the office had Mitsubishi PHEV's (2 litre petrol) and on a 100 mile trip they averaged about 35mpg not the 100+ suggested in the figures but at least they could charge the things (they rarely bothered).

Registered
I still need convincing about these charge as you drive hybrids as well.
I too struggle with the truth of the published economy figures for these cars. The urban figures are great and I expect they do provide excellent fuel economy if the lion鈥檚 share of use happens to be in town - the Prius, as a minicab, is the classic example.

As for long and frequent motorway trips in the UK or on the continent however, I suspect they would be less efficient and economical tha a turn-of-the-century, equivalent turbodiesel. Much as I like the technology utilised by Honda in their CRV Hybrid model, I suspect that the turbodiesel version would be more economical overall if many A-road/M-way journeys are a large part of the driver鈥檚 use profile.

Another point worthy of consideration is the towing capacity - the CRV Hybrid has a ridiculously low weight limit and I鈥檓 not sure whether Honda even provide a towbar for that model. The RAV4 is a little better but the non-hybrids of those models would tow a much heavier caravan or trailer.

All the motoring media hacks, when they get their allocated slot for road test and review of these hybrids, never seem to have them long enough to undertake London to Newcastle or Aberdeen trips at motorway speeds, so they simply regurgitate the quoted figures supplied by the manufacturer.

I like the self-charging hybrid in principle and I could be tempted into a Toyota/Lexus or Honda if I knew that I would be saving money every time I drove it. How important is fuel economy to me? Well, as estate cars are becoming thinner on the ground and KIA has decided not to give us the replacement for the Optima in the UK, I need to consider medium/large SUVs as a replacement and, as the top-of-the-range models in some cases are over the 40K limit, there is a hefty tax penalty for the first few years. That, on top of perhaps using more fuel than in my present car isn鈥檛 exactly a sensible economic prospect.

Any opinions I hold at the moment may change over the coming months, however, as updated 2021 versions of many of the cars I鈥檓 attracted to arrive in the showrooms. As things stand, 拢30.00 VED and genuine mid-40s mpg in a spacious car with all the gadgets and gizmos that anyone might wish for is a hard act to follow.

Way off topic in this thread so my apologies for that!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts