Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the plunge and put 15mm Spacers all round, certainly improves the handling.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
How much did your insurance increase? I know someone who did similar, after a crash his insurance refused to pay up as he hadn't informed them. £35,000 written off and he didn't get a penny.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Took the plunge and put 15mm Spacers all round, certainly improves the handling.
That sounds as though 15mm spacers are the answer to a question that 0.5% of owners might have asked. I certainly can’t recall any complaints being raised in these pages about the handling of the Sportage.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much did your insurance increase? I know someone who did similar, after a crash his insurance refused to pay up as he hadn't informed them. £35,000 written off and he didn't get a penny.
No increase in Premium, also enquired about going to 20" instead of the 19"s and also no increase in premium.

Thought about 20's to fill the arches a bit more.

Reactions: kia62

·
Registered
696 Posts
Do people honestly think that a major international manufacturer has not done sufficient testing to ascertain the best configuration for the car. Fitting wheels with an additional 15mm of offset would cost nothing and if it gave a better result they would have done it.

Kia will have carried out many tens of thousands of miles of back to back testing with the various options, how much testing have you carried out?

Thought about 20's to fill the arches a bit more.
I suppose you are aware that 20's will only spoil the ride and in the real world have no positives unless you think people who see your car will be impressed by the huge pointless wheels.

Guess it takes all sorts.

At the end of the day if you want a car that handles better do not buy an SUV. Tall cars will always be at a disadvantage in every respect except ground clearance.

·
Registered
205 Posts
"Improved the handling"....

Are you aware you bought a Sportage?

First turbo blanket, then spacers, now 20" alloys.... this isn't a Porsche or AMG you know - it's a practical Korean SUV.
20" wheels will completely kill any off-road capability (which is surely why you bought an SUV in the first place?)

I think you bought the wrong car...

·
Registered
27 Posts
The OP states what he's done to his vehicle, now that might be interesting to some and not others. I would imagine he knows what he is doing and happy doing it. Why are some of the other posters questioning what he's done in a holier than though attitude? And when someone so much as changes something why does the "I hope you've told your insurance company because the world will end if you don't" start appearing, it doesn't affect anyone apart from the policy holder it wouldn't have any affect on any third party claims.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, Same as Chelsea Tractor, they don't go off-road and they all drive their kids to school in them.
Ok so the odd one might have to cross a puddle but it's an SUV as you say.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you never take your car off road, then WTF are you doing with an SUV?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The OP states what he's done to his vehicle, now that might be interesting to some and not others. I would imagine he knows what he is doing and happy doing it. Why are some of the other posters questioning what he's done in a holier than though attitude? And when someone so much as changes something why does the "I hope you've told your insurance company because the world will end if you don't" start appearing, it doesn't affect anyone apart from the policy holder it wouldn't have any affect on any third party claims.
Agree lolgeoff. Insurance cannot wiggle out of third party claims - even if your car is stolen by a 13 year old on crystal meth the insurance company has to meet third party claims arising.

While I don't really understand why someone would do this, it is the OP's choice and it is his car and he is not obliged to have comprehensive cover anyway.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
"I hope you've told your insurance company " so you don't think that was an intelligent comment! Well, that's your opinion. I know someone who had his £35,00 claim refused for that very reason. His comment "I didn't know I needed to inform them." Not everyone can afford to lose £35,000.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I like the high driving position, I like the space inside, I like the price and I like the looks.
We are still searching for a new motor and having had an MPV in the past and since we liked the higher driving position we thought we would look at SUV's.

First on the list was a Kia Sportage since the dealer is only about a 5 minute walk away and he was good when we had the Ceed. Never got as far as driving one, wife had an issue with her right hip getting into the passenger seat (OK with the drivers) and we thought that the floor covering and other interior features really let the car down. Went to look at its sibling the Tucson which was even worse.

We got a 2 day drive in a Volvo XC40 next but since it was the R design it again had sports seats and the wife had in issue again. The next model up (our preferred spec) had flat seats which the wife was OK with so we gave the car a realistic test. Compared to our existing car it was 50% more expensive, slower, noisier, thirstier, had a lumpy ride, wallowy handling had less space in the rear and a much smaller boot with no ability to carry a full size spare. And remember this is the SUV that tops all the tests. We did like the higher drive so decided to keep looking.

Since then we have looked at the Audi Q3 (very poor), the VW Tiguan (bigger but shabby inside) and only 2 days ago the BMW X1. The one he showed us on the used lot (X-Line - our preferred spec) was fine for the wife and with a slidy rear seat the boot space was OK. It would also hold a full size spare. But with the slidy rear seat forward rear space is useless except for kids. As for the drive, well we did not get one. I had booked a 2.0i but when we got there (a 67 mile round trip) he told us he had no petrols (despite saying he had one 5 days before) so would have to be a diesel. When I said no point he offered to get a brand new plug in model out of the showroom and turn off the hybrid bit leaving us with just the 1.5 3 cylinder engine, asked him what was the point, he could not answer, We left it at that.

My conclusion so far (and probably my final conclusion) is we will stick with a large hatch or estate. More space, less money and other than a normal driving position its all advantages.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hope that answers your question.

"I hope you've told your insurance company " so you don't think that was an intelligent comment! Well, that's your opinion. I know someone who had his £35,00 claim refused for that very reason. His comment "I didn't know I needed to inform them." Not everyone can afford to lose £35,000.
No increase in Premium, also enquired about going to 20" instead of the 19"s and also no increase in premium.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not obliged. Third party cover is mandatory but own risk cover (comprehensive) is not.
I always have Comprehensive and declare all modifications, never had one issue yet?
Don't know anyone that bothers with 3rd Party cover?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I always have Comprehensive and declare all modifications, never had one issue yet?
Don't know anyone that bothers with 3rd Party cover?

Sorry but I have no idea how to answer those two questions because I don't know what they are asking.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 35 Posts