Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New here, so be gentle.

Recently been offered a promotion and as such a company car. I really did fancy a full electric car however the places i will be driving for work don't have the infrastructure to get me home so went with the Phev after a bit of research.

The reason i went with the phev rather than the alternative was this route will save me the most money. A lot of my personal driving and also the journey into the office (when I am there) will be well covered with the battery, plus I will have the opportunity to charge for free when in the office as well. So my intention is to do the majority of charging at work given i am in twice a week.

I understand that having a charging point installed at home won't necessarily be much quicker than the standard 13a cable that comes with the car and given that I will be using the home charging infrequently, i felt that the extra cost of installation wouldn't give me much benefit.

So my questions are how long are the cables that are provided and specifically how long is the 13a charging cable?

And (I think I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway) is it possible to use it with an extension lead with the cable or is that asking for trouble?

I've got a feeling that my plug at the front of the garage will be slightly too far away for the cable, in which case it may be worth me installing an outside 13a plug or even considering a charging point eventually.

Also, as a side, does anyone know what the current timescales are with Kia for a new phev Niro at all?

Thanks all

Super Moderator
Hi & Welcome.

Extension cables can cause problems. So you need to make sure that it is up to the job (not going to a cheap one)
Personally I would go for a dedicated charger. As using 3 pin plug can cause issues depending on how good your home electrics are.

Watch out if using public chargers as it can cost more to charge than petrol. As well as it upsets some EV drivers if they have to wait due to the slow charging speed the PHEV can handle. As you are limited to 3.6kW no matter what speed the charger can deliver.

Below link gives a guide to charging times.

Reactions: Phil in Wales

Registered
I've been using a 3 pin plug charger, (or granny cable) for the last 3 years with my Mitsusbshi PHEV, on a good quality extension lead, with no problems at all.

I'm now on my second full blown BEV, and with them, its definitely worth having a proper charging unit fitted.

Personally I think a PHEV is of limited use, fine for local trips, but not much good for extended trips. Just my opinion.

I sold by MG ZS EV today...160 mile range and my new Kia E-niro 4+ with 280 mile range...arrives tomorrow! :) i'm very excited !:D. The Mitsubishi PHEV is also going next week.

Registered
I understand that having a charging point installed at home won't necessarily be much quicker than the standard 13a cable that comes with the car and given that I will be using the home charging infrequently, i felt that the extra cost of installation wouldn't give me much benefit.

So my questions are how long are the cables that are provided and specifically how long is the 13a charging cable?
The 3 pin extension cable I got with my Plug-in Niro is about 5m long. I've been charging using a properly installed external 3 pin socket for the past 11 months and it's been fine. Takes about 3:45 for a full charge, cf 2:40 for a so-called fast (7kW) charger, so I agree not worth it.

And as iooi says, slow public charging can make it expensive to charge. I usually charge my car on a cheap off peak rate at home (Octopus Go) so it only costs me 1.5p/mile for my electric miles.

Super Moderator
The 3 pin extension cable I got with my Plug-in Niro is about 5m long. I've been charging using a properly installed external 3 pin socket for the past 11 months and it's been fine. Takes about 3:45 for a full charge, cf 2:40 for a so-called fast (7kW) charger, so I agree not worth it.

And as iooi says, slow public charging can make it expensive to charge. I usually charge my car on a cheap off peak rate at home (Octopus Go) so it only costs me 1.5p/mile for my electric miles.
Reason being PHEV can only charge at 3.6kW. So a 7kW charger is over kill. But as full blown EV is going to be coming soon. You might as well fit one, as even if you move its a selling point.

Registered
I have a Skoda Superb iV and charge it using the supplied 13A cable. Its simply not worth spending money to install a wall box, you would never recoup the money. If mine (and the OP's) were full electric cars it would be different and a wall box would be essential.

But in the manual and the "quick start" supplied with the 13A cable it clearly states that you MUST NOT use an extension of any kind. The 3 pin plug fitted to the very thick cable has temperature monitoring in it should the device overheat and this would not work as designed if used with an extension.

The Kia cable looks identical to the Skoda one (probably made by the same manufacturer in China) and I would expect the same warning to be in the Kia literature.

For the record ours is 6 metres long plug to plug, perfect for our garage. Fitted some large hooks to the wall to keep the cable off the floor.

We are on Octopus Go and a "full" charge of the 13 kWh battery takes about 51/2 to 6 hours at the standard 10A rate. In summer we could get about 34 miles on average but you can already see that dropping as it gets cooler and darker. By January expect probably 27 miles.

Registered
Hi all,

New here, so be gentle.

Recently been offered a promotion and as such a company car. I really did fancy a full electric car however the places i will be driving for work don't have the infrastructure to get me home so went with the Phev after a bit of research.

The reason i went with the phev rather than the alternative was this route will save me the most money. A lot of my personal driving and also the journey into the office (when I am there) will be well covered with the battery, plus I will have the opportunity to charge for free when in the office as well. So my intention is to do the majority of charging at work given i am in twice a week.

And (I think I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway) is it possible to use it with an extension lead with the cable or is that asking for trouble?

I've got a feeling that my plug at the front of the garage will be slightly too far away for the cable, in which case it may be worth me installing an outside 13a plug or even considering a charging point eventually.

Also, as a side, does anyone know what the current timescales are with Kia for a new phev Niro at all?

Thanks all
Regarding your query on timescales - my daughter in Edinburgh placed an order for the eNiro about 3 months ago and was given "early November" as the delivery period. She has now been told that it is delayed but the dealer can't at the moment give her a revised date. She is hoping for Xmas but who knows.....?

Registered
I ordered one a week ago and it arrived at 7.30 this morning, from Scotland!!

Dispite what some dealers say, some dealers do have stock....

Chris in Derby.

Super Moderator
I ordered one a week ago and it arrived at 7.30 this morning, from Scotland!!

Dispite what some dealers say, some dealers do have stock....

Chris in Derby.
A lot will depend on Spec & colour you want. (y)

Registered
Absolutally, we wanted Red...4+ top of the range. That's what we got...Of course that spec.wouldn't suit everybondy.

But our local dealer kept trying to get a 拢500 deposit out of us with some unspecified date in the future...possibly March or April, he said nobody had stock......yet there it was, sat in dealer in Scotland. We found Auto-trader a good way to track them down.

We have been driving it around all morning and we have still got 277miles on the GOM.:)...amazing car, my wife loves it.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts