Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if anyone had found the solution to the ‘12v battery drain due to electronic devices’ message - I only get this first thing in the morning- I have found other threads on this but there has been no updates on them
There is nothing plugged in, I’ve only had my car 1 week. (Kia Niro phev 2019 phev)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dealer updated the software for the Infotainment and the cluster and I haven't seen it for a couple of weeks so I am assuming it was resolved by this. The negative of this is that the newer infotainment system (purple) isn't great.

I haven't ruled out another cause. After talking to my wife, she was not sure if she was shutting things down correctly. For example, if you don't have the car in park and you press the ignition to shutdown the car and then put the car into park, you may inadvertently leave the car on - kind of easy to do with electric cars. I presume it would shutdown everything after a while but maybe there is some sequence of events that would cause some drain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dealer updated the software for the Infotainment and the cluster and I haven't seen it for a couple of weeks so I am assuming it was resolved by this. The negative of this is that the newer infotainment system (purple) isn't great.

I haven't ruled out another cause. After talking to my wife, she was not sure if she was shutting things down correctly. For example, if you don't have the car in park and you press the ignition to shutdown the car and then put the car into park, you may inadvertently leave the car on - kind of easy to do with electric cars. I presume it would shutdown everything after a while but maybe there is some sequence of events that would cause some drain.
Thank you- I wasn’t aware there would be a sequence to shutting it down myself- I will test this theory out- I’m booked in now to the dealers on Monday, so I will have time to test!

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
After talking to my wife, she was not sure if she was shutting things down correctly. For example, if you don't have the car in park and you press the ignition to shutdown the car and then put the car into park, you may inadvertently leave the car on - kind of easy to do with electric cars.
Pretty sure that doing that will not allow you to lock the car. So you get the beeps when trying to lock. But guess if you put it in a garage you may not lock the car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wondered if anyone had found the solution to the ‘12v battery drain due to electronic devices’ message - I only get this first thing in the morning- I have found other threads on this but there has been no updates on them
There is nothing plugged in, I’ve only had my car 1 week. (Kia Niro phev 2019 phev)
I don’t know whether or not this may be of use, but here goes.
Last week I found my fully charged Jan 21 E-Niro with less than 1000 miles on the clock completely dead; I couldn’t even unlock it with the fob. I had charged it 3 days earlier and hadn’t used it since.
I called out the RAC who fast charged the battery for about 15mins and then everything was back to normal and the 400v battery continued charging the 12v - just as it is supposed to do. We checked the car and established that no equipment was switched on and the RAC man then checked to see if there was any current drain from the battery and found there was quite a large unexplained drain (I believe it was 0.3amps – but I could be wrong).
I was obviously concerned and thought I would check on the UVO app to see if there was any warning or reason for the drain and I noticed that the app was already running so I shut it down and the drain stopped immediately! I then remembered that I had tried to check on the car’s status just after charging and had received a message saying something along the lines of “the app is already communicating with the car and to try again later”. I thought nothing of it and forgot about it.
I have since fitted a battery monitor which bluetooths the state of the battery to my phone on a regular basis and I always close the UVO app after using it. The battery has remained fully charged all the time.
Possibly a coincidence?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Possibly not a coincidence. The telematics unit in cars needs to stay awake and responsive to telematics services like UVO but not awake all the time as it would discharge the battery. There is a tradeoff between responsiveness and battery usage. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a software bug causing it to be excessively awake and draining the battery. A software update of the infotainment unit and/or cluster may also update the telematics unit - fixing that bug.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Possibly not a coincidence. The telematics unit in cars needs to stay awake and responsive to telematics services like UVO but not awake all the time as it would discharge the battery. There is a tradeoff between responsiveness and battery usage. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a software bug causing it to be excessively awake and draining the battery. A software update of the infotainment unit and/or cluster may also update the telematics unit - fixing that bug.
I don't have UVO on my PHEV, so I don't think that can be the issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
What sort of mileage is on the car?

Could be that it has been sat for a while not being used much last year which from the amount of battery posts we saw last year, with batteries going flat. It has not helped their life span.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What sort of mileage is on the car?

Could be that it has been sat for a while not being used much last year which from the amount of battery posts we saw last year, with batteries going flat. It has not helped their life span.
It’s got 10,000 - I’ve done 200 this week in it. Still get the message every morning 🙁

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
Might take a while & a good amount of mileage to get a good charge in it, as 12 V battery

The PHEV has a setting called Auxiliary Battery Saver- how this works is if the system detects a low voltage on the 12 volt battery it uses the hybrid battery to recharge the 12 volt battery. When you get in the car you will get a message that this event happened when you start the car.

User Settings -> Other Features -> Aux Battery Saver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had two surprise flat Aux 12V battery drained. One was at home after a couple of days maybe a year ago, and then recently while camping.
It was a campground with no cell phone service - we were there two nights, car camping, opening and closing doors.
On the morning we went to leave, all packed, it had enough juice to say "Key not present" even though key was right next to it. Stepping on brake pedal it "Shuddered" and then clicking. Since it had failed before, and I had heard it then I knew what it was.
I had jumper cables and jumped the Aux. 12V battery from the one other camper, and it started right away. Had to unpack to get to the battery. I've got a 2019 Kia Niro PlugInHybrid in California. Afterwards I checked, the "Aux+ Battery Saver" was active, but seems like it didn't work. Very annoying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There seems to be a problem with the Niro, when you check it out on line, as to the 12 V battery being a problem. If it goes down then you are B________ as to starting the car. It is worth pointing out, ( which I did not know, is that the E version still has a 12 V battery to start aand run accessories) My Niro hybrid 2017, 12V battery went down on Sunday at an event, where because I carry jump cables now, was able to link up with another guys motor to jumps start it. I had an Toyota Auris Hybrid before the Niro, where it hapened 3 times one of them at home. Thought this was in the past, as the Niro does have a warning for low battery come up. The latest was different, in that the tail gate was open, so reckon on the boot light draining it down. Cannot understand as to why they do not have a cutout fitted forwhen the voltage falls to a certain level that will start the car, when the key is put in.
The reset button on my one is a small hole next to the volume on/off switch, on the RH side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have now disconnected the rear luggage area light , so if the rear door is open for any length of time, it does not drain the battery. On getting to the holder that the bulb sits in, it came as no surprise that the drain is hight, as the holder was to hot to hold, so as to pull the connector off.

·
Registered
Niro DL, 2020, UVO
80 Posts
Hmm, are you sure the tailgate closes correct?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmm, are you sure the tailgate closes correct?
Yes, but I had the tailgate open all day as i was accessing items in there whilst flying my model aircraft, at a competition. Never was a problem on othe cars that had a decent size battery in them. But the mickey mouse ones they fit in Hybrid/Electric cars are just not up to it. It would make sence, for the drain to be cut off with a sensor, before the voltage dropped below the battery being unable to start the car. Another thing is the switch that turns off the roof lights, does not turn off the tailgate light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had two surprise flat Aux 12V battery drained. One was at home after a couple of days maybe a year ago, and then recently while camping.
It was a campground with no cell phone service - we were there two nights, car camping, opening and closing doors.
On the morning we went to leave, all packed, it had enough juice to say "Key not present" even though key was right next to it. Stepping on brake pedal it "Shuddered" and then clicking. Since it had failed before, and I had heard it then I knew what it was.
I had jumper cables and jumped the Aux. 12V battery from the one other camper, and it started right away. Had to unpack to get to the battery. I've got a 2019 Kia Niro PlugInHybrid in California. Afterwards I checked, the "Aux+ Battery Saver" was active, but seems like it didn't work. Very annoying.
You should jump start from the battery access contacts, under the bonnett, see instruction manual. This applies to the Toyota hybrid system as well. No need to access the battery in the back, which is not easy as the tailgate lock fails if the 12 V battery is flt.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, but I had the tailgate open all day as i was accessing items in there whilst flying my model aircraft, at a competition. Never was a problem on othe cars that had a decent size battery in them. But the mickey mouse ones they fit in Hybrid/Electric cars are just not up to it. It would make sence, for the drain to be cut off with a sensor, before the voltage dropped below the battery being unable to start the car. Another thing is the switch that turns off the roof lights, does not turn off the tailgate light.
How about changing the bulb to an LED? That will reduce the power drain if you have to leave the hatch open.

And if you think you've got problems, I'm a Rally Radio Safety Operator so often sit for anything up to 8 hours listening to a transmitter and I haven't yet worked out a way of connecting that to my Niro. On my last car it was easy, 2 crocodile clips on the battery, but on the new Niro there is NO battery! It lloks like I am going to have to buy a seperate leisure battery to run this from now on.

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
but on the new Niro there is NO battery! It lloks like I am going to have to buy a seperate leisure battery to run this from now on.
There is, but not the sort we are used to dealing with. It's under the rear seat with the other Hybrid battery.
Something that Kia would do well to advise people of.

I was looking at getting a hoist in the boot. But have decided due to this set up that I would not bother. As fitter will not give a answer just where they will take the power feed from.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts