Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2011 Sportage CRD1 4WD coming up to 12mths old. I assumed that service intervals were every 12mths although the service record book doesn't actually say this (except for the anti-perforation inspection which is every 12mths)and it refers back to the owners handbook. The handbook is a bit ambiguous but clearly shows normal maintenance schedules every 24mths or 20,000 miles (p7/12 on), and states "If the recommended engine oil is not available replace oil and filter every 20,000mls or 12mths" (could be a printing error as it then says the same thing for every 15,000mls).It goes on to give 12mths or 10,000 only for"maintenance under severe usage conditions" (p7/20).The Kia garage say every 12mths or 18,000mls for all conditions. As a service is usually £200 or more(mostly cost of oil apparently) it makes quite a difference. Anyone know definitely which is right? Apologies if I've missed something glaringly obvious.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi
We have a Kia Sportage K3 2.0 Diesel 4WD (SatNav) Automatic purchased in July 2011, and we thought the same as you. We went to our dealer who told us the first 12 months is the anti-perforation inspection and the first service will be at 24 months or 20,000 miles.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
According to the tech specs on the Kia website, it's 20,000 miles or one year, whichever is the sooner.

If you think you are being overcharged for oil when the car is serviced, provide your own. That is what I do. It saves a fortune.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Techno
Just dowloaded that page from the Kia website. You are correct, it is 20,000 or the first 12 months. Am going to take this information to my dealer and show him. Good tip about the oil - I did know about that.
Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder what the chances are of the Kia website (12mths) being wrong and the Kia handbook (24mths) being right? We bought another diesel car (Renault Clio) at the same time and their service interval is definitely 24mths, which makes me wonder if Kia are simply trying to increase business for their dealers. I suppose the critical thing is whether or not the warranty will still be valid if we follow the handbook and not the website. Storm, can you let us know if your dealer confirms 24mths please.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If it's 24 months I will be a bit p1ssed off ! I took the three year service plan as the dealer provided me with figures for the first three years servicing and MOT v the service plan (which I took !)

WD

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
The odd thing is that in the USA, the service intervals are only 7500 miles.

The dealers must be laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello everyone. I had Audi's which had long life service intervals of up to 2 years. To be honest I like to have the car looked at every 12 months regardless of mileage. It helps when the time comes to sell and for a full kia service at ~£130 I think it is a good investment in what is a complex car. Just my opinion and I'm sure 24 months is fine too.
Chris

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
IMHO even with modern oils, 2 years between changes is a bit too long.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My dealer says 12 months 20000 miles whichever comes first.My 1st service cost £122 which i think was very reasonable considering there was 4.1lts of Castrol used at an eyewatering£10 +vat per litre.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Why would they put castrol in a sportage when the manuals all recommend shell helix oils. Lets hope the dealers are not invalidating our warranties by using something else

·
Registered
116 Posts
Going to my dealer this morning, see what he has to say about 1st service, also agree Shell Helix Oil.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Metallic Blue
I went to my Kia dealer, Viking Garages, this morning and the Service Manager told me that this is a grey area and that many people have been asking him the same question. He still says 20,000 miles or 24 months for the first service but he told me that if I wanted my car serviced every 12 months, i.e. oil change and filter, he'd be only too pleased to accommodate me! More revenue for them! My own personal feeling is that I will have my car serviced every 12 months as I feel that 24 months is too long to keep the oil in the sump.

As said in one of the previous forums, somebody said that their dealer had used Castrol oil instead of Shell oil in their service. The Service Manager told me that they used to use Castrol but now they use Shell as recommended by Kia.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
4x4 tractorboy said:
Why would they put castrol in a sportage when the manuals all recommend shell helix oils. Lets hope the dealers are not invalidating our warranties by using something else
The manual only says Shell Helix recomended for Europe so what do they recomend for the rest of the world.It also says use only lubricants of the proper quality and I would think Castrol products confirm to this.I may be a bit sceptical but perhaps it may be to someones interests to recomend certain products.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just bought a new Sportage yesterday with a 3 year service plan. The dealer said it was for 3 services!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same for me, I bought the 3 year service plan and was told in no uncertain terms that it was for annual service.

Edit.
Actually as I think about it, when I picked my Sportage up the dealer (Maidstone Kia) had actually booked a service for me exactly 1 year from that date.Edited by: rddave

·
Registered
47 Posts
the main thing to go for with oil is its classification ACEA A5 or C3 etc who makes it comes 2nd shell or castol both good oils, oil is the life blood of any car so use a good one.
i will go for yearly service bit of belt and braces,

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
4x4 tractorboy said:

As long as the correct spec oil is used, it doesn't matter if it is made by your next door neighbour in his shed. The warranty will remain intact.

Based on what used to happen at Rover, the reason manufacturers recommend certain oils is that the oil that that they put in the cars when they are built is provided free (or at a very favourable rate) by the oil company that they endorse.

That is why the cars built in Korea or the US(?) may have a different recommended oil supplier. Different deals in different territories.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts