Kia Owners Club Forum banner
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
895 Posts
Never messed with zoom. Just leave it as it is.
Not possible I'm afraid as the std settings are unusable. It zooms out so early a 1/3 screen is sky and you lose the petrol prices. The 13 map versions were fine but since 14 it has needed tweeking to be useable in my view.

From my perspective '---' still exists, there are issues with re-routing & now this bug, it's difficult to believe this software is being managed by a professional team at all.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Not possible I'm afraid as the std settings are unusable. It zooms out so early a 1/3 screen is sky and you lose the petrol prices. The 13 map versions were fine but since 14 it has needed tweeking to be useable in my view.

From my perspective '---' still exists, there are issues with re-routing & now this bug, it's difficult to believe this software is being managed by a professional team at all.
I don’t understand that. We basically have identical cars and I have no problems leaving the zoom on the standard settings. The only difference I can think of is that I have mine in 2D not 3D, but as far ad the actual display is concerned I have no issues.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
895 Posts
I don’t understand that. We basically have identical cars and I have no problems leaving the zoom on the standard settings. The only difference I can think of is that I have mine in 2D not 3D, but as far ad the actual display is concerned I have no issues.
You are right but I only use 3D. Since they updated to 14. maps the horizon has dropped significantly reducing the available space for the route but this is horizon level changes depending on the zoom setting, I found some zoom settings that minimised the issue for me and they have worked just fine till this new release. As I say I can set them and they work but as soon as you switch off and switch on again it ignores these and returns to some pre-set of its own.

To be honest I'm getting a bit hacked off with Kia over this, its quite pathetic

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
To be honest I'm getting a bit hacked off with Kia over this, its quite pathetic
Not solely relating to the Nav I’ve just this morning posted about different model cars operating the same function differently. Unnecessary IMHO and totally confusing

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts

Never bothered me bits of sky. Even when in strange area's. Unless you are constantly in new area's no need to keep looking at maps (y)

As to --- only get it in car parks on latest version. But I'm not sure that it was not there before, as never noticed ? Or it's simply the Tom Tom mapping does not cover car parks & of course the camera will not pick a sign up as they do not have them.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
895 Posts
Never bothered me bits of sky. Even when in strange area's. Unless you are constantly in new area's no need to keep looking at maps (y)

As to --- only get it in car parks on latest version. But I'm not sure that it was not there before, as never noticed ? Or it's simply the Tom Tom mapping does not cover car parks & of course the camera will not pick a sign up as they do not have them.
The first part, I'm pleased for you but it does bother me and the zoom is now broken.

Second part, the '---' has 2 parts, Here maps and TT deal with unknown speed limits differently, Here seemed to default to 20 where as TT use the NCAP standard of '---' which is why we often see this in car parks etc.

However, the Nov release introduced a bug where when starting a journey with '---' this would often remain until a speed sign was passed despite the map data having the correct limit data. The latest update may have improved this very slightly but I need to do some more testing before I will know for sure.

·
Registered
335 Posts
However, the Nov release introduced a bug where when starting a journey with '---' this would often remain until a speed sign was passed despite the map data having the correct limit data.
I have the latest update on my Niro PHEV with GEN5W screen and this is still a problem.

Yesterday I made a journey to a car park set away from the side of the road up in the mountains. The road leading to the carpark is a major enough road, an R road in Ireland equivalent to a B road in the UK, so you'd assume it'd be present in the speed limit database.

Anyway, driving there, the display showed the correct limit of 80km/h right up to the point where I turned into the car park, and kept showing 80km/h when I parked, presumably because I was actually only a few metres away from the road, but some distance before that I had passed an 80km/h sign, so no idea if the displayed limit was as a result of that or what.

Spent about 6 hours there, and driving out of the car park to head home, the display immediately showed '---' and kept showing that all the way to the same speed limit sign I'd passed on the way there, except the reverse side of it, showing 50km/h and everything was fine from there all the way home.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
586 Posts
You are right but I only use 3D. Since they updated to 14. maps the horizon has dropped significantly reducing the available space for the route but this is horizon level changes depending on the zoom setting, I found some zoom settings that minimised the issue for me and they have worked just fine till this new release. As I say I can set them and they work but as soon as you switch off and switch on again it ignores these and returns to some pre-set of its own.

I think you are experiencing something similar to what I am.
basically some profile settings seem to be forgotten and I was trying to figure out if this is linked to having more than one profile loaded on the car. Do you have only one profile or two?

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
As to car parks & no limits. Today we went to a larger shopping center which does have it's own 20 mph signs. Camera picked these up and showed the 20 mph limit. Even remained when we got back in the car to leave a couple of hours later.

Maybe I'm lucky, but exiting a car park picks up the speed limit quickly, even when not passing a sign. Not had the profile issue. Other than when the 1st time after update when I had to reset it. just simply used the latest back up from APP and have had no issues.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
895 Posts
I have the latest update on my Niro PHEV with GEN5W screen and this is still a problem.

Yesterday I made a journey to a car park set away from the side of the road up in the mountains. The road leading to the carpark is a major enough road, an R road in Ireland equivalent to a B road in the UK, so you'd assume it'd be present in the speed limit database.

Anyway, driving there, the display showed the correct limit of 80km/h right up to the point where I turned into the car park, and kept showing 80km/h when I parked, presumably because I was actually only a few metres away from the road, but some distance before that I had passed an 80km/h sign, so no idea if the displayed limit was as a result of that or what.

Spent about 6 hours there, and driving out of the car park to head home, the display immediately showed '---' and kept showing that all the way to the same speed limit sign I'd passed on the way there, except the reverse side of it, showing 50km/h and everything was fine from there all the way home.
This is pretty a typical example of one of the bugs introduced in November. I experience something similar every day, my house is on a short private road, most days I get '---' in my drive which will last till I pass a speed sign (well not exactly true, if I turn left at the end of my road that's true but if I turn right I get the speed limit within 20m 🙄) but even this isn't consistent as some mornings I do have the speed symbol. I've given up trying to work out why though 😭

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
895 Posts
Second part, the '---' has 2 parts, Here maps and TT deal with unknown speed limits differently, Here seemed to default to 20 where as TT use the NCAP standard of '---' which is why we often see this in car parks etc.
I lied 🙄 sorry.

Both Here & TT do use '---' when they have no speed limit data from either the map or camera. The difference seems to be that the November release introduced a bug whereby the '---' symbol stays on at the start of 'some' journeys until a speed sign is detected by the camera. Switching the camera on and off in this situation shows that the map data has the speed limit but something in the software is stopping it being displayed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It gets even more weird. Near me there's a brand new Lidl that isn't on any maps yet. There's a new entrance to the car park that is on a minor road connected to a larger road.

With ILSW ON, it reads '---' as you enter the car park, as there are no speed limit signs. On exit it keeps reading '---' even when you exit the car park onto the minor road, and only changes to 50km/h when you join the larger road. No speed limit signs anywhere on this route.

With ILSW OFF, it reads '---' when you enter the car park, but in contrast switches immediately to 50km/h as soon as you exit onto the minor road.

Bizarre.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
895 Posts
I think you are experiencing something similar to what I am.
basically some profile settings seem to be forgotten and I was trying to figure out if this is linked to having more than one profile loaded on the car. Do you have only one profile or two?
I do have 2 profiles but only ever use 1 of them

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I shall be glad when KIA manage to provide a fix for the three dash problem as it spoils an otherwise good nav system. Over the last couple of days, I have been using Google Maps for a change from Apple Maps. There isn't a great deal to choose between those offerings but I do like the ability to use the Mic for inputting destinations on Google and 'Hey Siri' works very well on Apple CarPlay. There is no Mic access on the 'Here/Tom Tom' screen in my Compact Gen 5 integrated system, unfortunately.

Reactions: macgd016

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
There is no Mic access on the 'Here/Tom Tom' screen in my Compact Gen 5 integrated system, unfortunately.
Do you not have the button on the steering wheel?
Top left quick press = Kia navigation (Navigate to ?)
Longer press = Google request. Take it that if you use Apple it will be the same.

Or at least that is how it works on mine.

Car Steering part Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Do you not have the button on the steering wheel?
Top left quick press = Kia navigation (Navigate to ?)
Longer press = Google request. Take it that if you use Apple it will be the same.
Thanks for the info, 'iooi'. I shall pop out to my car shortly and check if there is any difference between short and long button press. Certainly, the button does work but has only ever wakened ACP, so it's 'Hey Siri' and it works fine.

I shall have a play at a brief jab of the button as opposed to a slightly longer press and see what happens. From pics of someone's screen after the flawed November update, the wider screen models seemed to display a Mic at the top right of the screen which I don't have.

I'll let you know in due course.

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
As per my previous post, 'iooi', I have checked out the steering wheel button response and it doesn't matter how the button is pressed, it brings up Apple Maps from ACP.

While going through the settings, I discovered the 'Sounds of Nature' and unticked that! What a piece of nonsense! Does anyone actually switch that on?

I like the Mic input available on Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze but prefer to use the Here/Tom Tom integrated system which affords the ability to replicate the directions in the instrument binnacle between the Speedo and the Rev Counter.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts