Kia Owners Club Forum banner
101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
586 Posts
MY21 Stonic: same model head unit as my22, but update has 401 maps.
I am tempted to just drop the new 501 maps and navigation software (its a subfolder of the upgrade) onto the memory stick and see if it will upgrade the nav unit on mine.
but tbh I’m happy to wait till April for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I unfortunately updated my maps using the KIA software. A pity the software was not tested properly. I have the dreaded problem with the speed limit system not working properly. However, my wife found a sort of fix on one of the chat forums. I pass this on for anyone with the same problem which may help until KIA sort out their rubbish software.
The problem is that if you attempt to display the speed limits on the dash display and the sat nav screen the software falls over. All you need to do is disable the dash speed limit display by unticking the appropriate box on driver assist menu and hey presto the speed limits works OK on the sat nav screen. I will look forward to KIA's total fix. Just to confirm the software update that I installed was UM_19MY.EU.SOP.012.18.211029.STD_M.
Good Luck
Regards Roy Astro
PS, My Vehicle is 1 2020 Kia Sorento GTs Line 2.2 Diesel

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
573 Posts
@fenegroni Is it possible that the 401/501 just refers to a base and the date is actually different? Possibly different processors in the unit and a compatibility issue perhaps?

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
316 Posts
except they are incorrect on temporary speed limits or recent changes to speed limits. Most of the 50mph round my way still show 60mph on the navigation system if you turn off the camera.

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
573 Posts
@Faltwen were they correct on these areas before the update? There can only be a baseline if it is not actively reading the road signs. This has always been the burden with sat navs, and is in keeping with them just being driver aids and not replacements for the driver

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I unfortunately updated my maps using the KIA software. A pity the software was not tested properly. I have the dreaded problem with the speed limit system not working properly. However, my wife found a sort of fix on one of the chat forums. I pass this on for anyone with the same problem which may help until KIA sort out their rubbish software.
The problem is that if you attempt to display the speed limits on the dash display and the sat nav screen the software falls over. All you need to do is disable the dash speed limit display by unticking the appropriate box on driver assist menu and hey presto the speed limits works OK on the sat nav screen. I will look forward to KIA's total fix. Just to confirm the software update that I installed was UM_19MY.EU.SOP.012.18.211029.STD_M.
Good Luck
Regards Roy Astro
PS, My Vehicle is 1 2020 Kia Sorento GTs Line 2.2 Diesel
The problem with that fix is twofold. a) By disabling the speed limits from displaying on the dashboard you disable the camera and so any temporary speed limits are not displayed, and b), from a purely personal view, if I had to choose one location to display them rather than both, then I would choose the dashboard cluster where all the other info is displayed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
@Faltwen were they correct on these areas before the update? There can only be a baseline if it is not actively reading the road signs. This has always been the burden with sat navs, and is in keeping with them just being driver aids and not replacements for the driver
no they were not correct on my 2019 maps, as they are stored in the satnav any recent changes will always be incorrect, For some reason my local roads are constantly changing to 50 or even 40 and the map system cannot keep up with them.
That's the whole reason for the camera system which should override these incorrect speed limits

I've worked out my own workaround, the camera on my car correctly reads all speeds except the National Speed Limit signs. This speed stays displayed for a certain distance before reverting to (---). so I just leave the camera on.
In fact on some roads the 50 signs are so close together that the camera constantly keeps the correct speed limit displayed.

·
Registered
586 Posts
In some countries speed limit repeater signs must be displayed at regular intervals to be lawfully applied.
which might explain why the initial assumption by the developers was that if a speed limit was not seen after a certain distance, it would revert to the one known for that road.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
That's the whole reason for the camera system which should override these incorrect speed limits.
I totally agree, if we are only to get one, or maybe two, updates a year it makes much more sense to give the camera priority. I have noticed instances on National Speed Limit roads where the cluster quite correctly displays a limit of 60 which is then overridden within a second or two by 50 which is not, and never has been, correct for that road. It seems to be a combination of incorrect data in the maps and a software conflict overriding the camera.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
In some countries speed limit repeater signs must be displayed at regular intervals to be lawfully applied.
which might explain why the initial assumption by the developers was that if a speed limit was not seen after a certain distance, it would revert to the one known for that road.
Not helpful if the data within the maps is wrong

·
Registered
316 Posts
But at the moment it reverts to (---). Not what is stored, correctly or incorrectly in the satnav.

·
Registered
586 Posts
But at the moment it reverts to (---). Not what is stored, correctly or incorrectly in the satnav.
That is probably a different but related bug.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
880 Posts
The problem with that fix is twofold. a) By disabling the speed limits from displaying on the dashboard you disable the camera and so any temporary speed limits are not displayed, and b), from a purely personal view, if I had to choose one location to display them rather than both, then I would choose the dashboard cluster where all the other info is displayed.
And besides that. It’s not really a fix as all it’s doing is disabling a system that should not need disabling. However, I do the same currently as in my opinion its better having a potentially out of data speed limit show on the screen rather than the (- - -) on both display and dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Good points, we have a 20mph school speed limit close to where we live and so far it responds to that and then reverts to the 30mph limit a few hundred yards down the road but I have not yet tried it on any temporary speed restrictions. Maybe it responds differently depending on the type of vehicle you have. When you consider how long this type of software has been around it is totally baffling how they could get it so wrong. They can't have tested the software update properly. We can only hope that KIA respond quickly with a permanent fix for all vehicles affected.

·
Registered
586 Posts
And besides that. It’s not really a fix as all it’s doing is disabling a system that should not need disabling. However, I do the same currently as in my opinion its better having a potentially out of data speed limit show on the screen rather than the (- - -) on both display and dash.
I think the new rules imply the opposite: the system should not give information with ‘low confidence’ to the user.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Which makes more sense to rely on what the camera sees surely?
The problem is that the camera sees stuff that might be incorrect, so there’s a decision making process inside the head unit to decide which data is more reliable: map, camera, neither.
Some argue cameras for speed sign recognition are way less reliable than location based info + live data feed and should not be used at all

·
Super Moderator
10,500 Posts
When you consider how long this type of software has been around it is totally baffling how they could get it so wrong. They can't have tested the software update properly. We can only hope that KIA respond quickly with a permanent fix for all vehicles affected.
While the software has been around a long time. The map supplier changed at the point all these issues started. Moving from Here to Tom Tom.
So are the issues how the maps have integrated with the software?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The problem is that the camera sees stuff that might be incorrect, so there’s a decision making process inside the head unit to decide which data is more reliable: map, camera, neither.
Some argue cameras for speed sign recognition are way less reliable than location based info + live data feed and should not be used at all
At the end of the day it will always come down to individual preferences. All the time the maps contain wrong data (and they do) a combination of the camera and my own eyesight will always be preferable to me over questionable data that might not be corrected for up to a year (if then). Whatever the camera/driver is seeing should be more accurate and current.

Plus the live data feed certainly can’t be relied upon at the moment. Speed cameras are up to 2 months behind, road closures don’t always show up etc etc. At least the camera can instantly read a temporary speed limit sign.

101 - 120 of 159 Posts