Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
To be honest it depends how and where you drive.

I do a lot of dual carriageway driving 55-65mph on average, and my boy racer days are well behind me. The trip says 52mpg (over 8400 miles), the truth is nearer 48mpg.
If you drive at 80, it drinks the stuff, also going up a steady hill the instantaneous readingwill drop to 25-30mpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I appreciate it varies on driving style and road type and conditions, but I need some real-world figures rather than the exagerated Manufacturers ones ;)

Hopefully getting a week test-drive soon so will aslo be able to try for myself!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Blue407 said:
Hopefully getting a week test-drive soon so will aslo be able to try for myself!

If you don't mind me asking, who is offering you that? My wife wants a Sportage but can't decide whether she wants a 1.7 in three months or a 2.0 in six.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Techno said:
Blue407 said:

If you don't mind me asking, who is offering you that? My wife wants a Sportage but can't decide whether she wants a 1.7 in three months or a 2.0 in six.

Thats the benefit of getting a Company car, lots of companies will arrange extended (1 week) demo's for fleet Customers
(Although BMW only seem to be able to manage a long weekend... LOL)

I've not driven each yet, but to be honest the 1.7 is likely to be pokey enough for most users. On motorways, once you're up to 70 it doesn't matter if its a 1.0 or 4.0 to sit cruising all day!

I'm sure the 1.7 will have enough power for safe overtaking on A-Roads and will likely give you better MPG.

·
Registered
140 Posts
"I need some real-world figures rather than the exagerated Manufacturers ones"

Hi Blue407

Kia do not produce any mpg figures - the "exaggerated" ones are provided to Kia (and othermanufacturers) by an industry body under conditions that you would never encounter in a millon years of normal driving. No one in the trade believes them !

If you want reseasonably accurate figures follow this link for the "official government fuel calculator"

http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk

·
Registered
148 Posts
46/47 MPG, according to trip computer, after 6 months/5000 miles on mainly dual carriageway/motorway commutes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Overall, I am getting 48mpg
Around town, its 48mpg, which is about 90% of my driving
Motorways/Dual carriageways its still 48mpg. This is at a pretty much constant 70mph, using the cruise control.
What did surprise me is that the Motorway driving produced the same mpg as around town, I was expecting an increase up to 50+mpg. I have to assume that this is because the engine is getting pushed harder and I am assuming the 2.0ltr engine does better at this. No reason for me to believe this, just an uneducated guess

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beachbum said:
Overall, I am getting 48mpg
Around town, its 48mpg, which is about 90% of my driving
Motorways/Dual carriageways its still 48mpg. This is at a pretty much constant 70mph, using the cruise control.
What did surprise me is that the Motorway driving produced the same mpg as around town, I was expecting an increase up to 50+mpg. I have to assume that this is because the engine is getting pushed harder and I am assuming the 2.0ltr engine does better at this. No reason for me to believe this, just an uneducated guess

Will also depend how many miles you have done. Engine will loosen up with miles and become more efficient.

I can't see the 2.0 being more efficient at 70 with cruise on, unless it happens to fall at aslightly different RPM which happens to havebeen tuned better in the ECUengine map. All other things being equal it should be less efficient than the 1.7

·
Registered
129 Posts
Average is about 45mpg, I do a 50/50 mix of motorways/dual carriageways at 70mph and the rest country lanes and city driving at 30/50mph.

I have had it up to 50mpg when doing a steady 50mph, but economy drops fast when you go over 65mph/70mph on motorways.

I have a 1.7 2 wheel drive with just under 10,000 miles on the clock (5 months old). Never had any troubles overtaking stuff on motorways or pulling off from standstill, plenty of power in their. Only time its' struggled was on French autoroutes going up steep inclines, power bottoms out after you hit 130kmh uphill.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Anybody got any figure for a 1.7 on 18" wheels?

I'd be interested to know if they really affect fuel consumption as much as the Government figures suggest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Techno said:
Anybody got any figure for a 1.7 on 18" wheels?

I'd be interested to know if they really affect fuel consumption as much as the Government figures suggest.

I've got the 1.7 Diesel and running on the 18" wheels that come as part of the '3 Sat Nav' spec. Almost at 10,000 miles nearing my first year. In that time I have done a number of 200 mile trips up and down the M6, M1, and M25, including 400 mile roundtrips within 24-72 hours, but at the same time I do a lot of less than 3 - 6 mile runs around town, with the occasional 10 - 20 mile journeys. I do my best to drive eco-friendly, I use the ISG system to it's full potential activating it at all available opportunities; but I don't deny the fact the car is quite 'meaty' so I do get some enjoyment every now on then from beating some little punk off the start line :p

I am currently at 44.4 mpg, and it seems to be going up very slowly over time.

I'm very happy with the consumption of the Sportage, I can make a 400 mile round trip and-some, even before the trip computer stops giving me a 'miles left in the tank' reading, so I reckon I could push 500 miles out of that full tank.

Edited by: Bradley_H

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Thanks Bradley_H.

That is just the kind of info I was after.

Your comment about the car being 'quite meaty' is interesting as my wife was worried that it won't have enough power or feel as quick as her current 1.9 Seat Ibiza Tdi did when it was a bit younger.

·
Registered
95 Posts
2.0 FE AWD Diesel here. 16k on the clock.
Mix 50/50 motorway/city. On long runs on motorways at 70 or 80 I can get 42mpg easilly however on average I get 37-38 on my usual routes to work (through manchester and onto motorways).

I dont drive like I've got nowhere to go as well. If I did I reckoned I could get it to 40-42 all the time, but thats just boring.

Mine will do 60-70 mpg on a flat motorway at anywhere between 60-80mh but as soon as it goes up hill, or you need to overtake/slow down and speed up it drops rapidly.

Slim

·
Registered
35 Posts
Techno said:
Thanks Bradley_H.

That is just the kind of info I was after.

Your comment about the car being 'quite meaty' is interesting as my wife was worried that it won't have enough power or feel as quick as her current 1.9 Seat Ibiza Tdi did when it was a bit younger.

Well my last car was a 1.6 Turbo Diesel Pro'Ceed, which was very nippy and even quicker off the mark, I'd say the Sportage is just as good as, if not slightly better than the Pro'Ceed. I am pleasantly surprised at the performance of the Sportage, I was gearing myself for a vehicle that would be a little slower, and possibly a little sluggish in comparison, but its quite the opposite. By 'meaty' I mean that you can really feel the power of the engine when you floor it, you get that thrilling pull from the 2WD that makes driving all that bit more exciting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just for a bit of fun, very early this morning, I zero'ed the trip computer on my 18 inch wheeled 1.7, on a trip from Andover to Bicester (65 miles), all dual carriageway. I was in no hurry and I drove as I would have thought of, as being economical, and achieved 67.4mpg on the trip computer.

Could be the makings of a competition here, obviously over a meaningful distance, rather than coasting downhill for a few miles, and claiming 99.9 mpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts