Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can someone tell me what all the weird noises are for when i switch off my engine on my venga 1.6crdi?
First noise is a dull whoosh which dies away,then there is a very high pitched 'hum',followed by lots of clicks and what sounds like motors whirring on and off,then there is a 'click'then silence.
All this lasts for about 8-10 seconds after turning off the engine.
My last 1.4crdi never made any noise after being turned off,mind you i think it was glad to be stopped! It never liked running very much

Im sure nothing is out of order,but im just curious.

Cheers,james.

·
Administrator
7,651 Posts
Hi James,
Well it is a diesel...all that vibration all day, it prob takes a min or two to stop vibrating!...you would have that tractor engine...petrol engine is neigh on silent...lol

Seriously now...I'm sure its normal James.
Paul...Venga 3 auto....quiet petrol 1.6!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
James it could be the Swirl valve actuator motor thats making the noise. This is fitted to the 1.5CRDI RIO so not sure if the 1.6 has it but by your desciption of the noise it does sound like the above.
This Swirl valve is in the inlet side of the engine and are flaps for the air intake on the manifold that open and close depending on conditions. So instead of four inlets there are 8.
The motor runs through a procedure when you switch off by opening and closing the flaps so that they do not stick. The motor is at the left hand side of the engine at the front and there are linkage rods to the swirl valves/flaps.

" Variable swirl actuator
consists of DC motor and valve position sensor which detects the position of
swirl valve.

At idle and below 3000rpm,
swirl valve is closed to take swirl effect. This swirl effect increases air flow
rate."

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Davy,
I must admit i liked the silence of the last courtesy car i had,which was the first petrol car i have driven since 1996, but i do rather like the grunt and poke of of a diesel, im afraid im a diesel lover!

Davy the noise is coming from where you say, and i have since heard my brothers SKODA making the same noises,I know its nothing to be concerned about,and just normal noises,just wondered why the 1.4crdi venga did nt make any noises.

Perhaps less technology on it?

Cheers,james.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
James had a wee loook at the 1.6 and the swirl valve motor is on the left/hand end of the inlet manifold looking from the front of the car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hi james , i have a 1.6 petrol venga and mine makes a few clicking noises a few seconds or so when you switch off and when you switch the lights on or off ?....

·
Registered
72 Posts
James
the 1.4 crdi didn't make any noises because it had enough trouble deciding what to do wrong next! Is that mpg disinformation meter, turbo lag or death rattle - or even sometimes behave superbly. See the big post!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts