Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 134 ISG DCT Auto
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 auto diesel Sportage with a
1.6CRDi ISG DCT engine that is leased and has to be returned later this year.

I am wanting to purchase a similar vehicle aged 2019 or 2020 to replace it.

Could any member please explain to me the difference between my current engine and the following 2.

1.6CRDi Eco dynamics DCT(s/s)

1.6CRDi 48v ISG

Which is better and why

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
I'll put my head over the parapet, hopefully I won't get it shot to pieces.
As I recall it is the same 1.6CRDi engine however, and this is from memory, the 1.6CRDi came with different power outputs. There was a 114 bhp version and a 134 bhp version.
The 48V ISG is the mild hybrid with Intelligent Stop Go.
I have no idea what Eco Dynamics are or do, other than Kia's own blurb, which suggests it is a advertising emblem.
I can't say which is better, mine is the 2.0 litre 48V

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
everything @mr.macspot says is correct, the Eco Dynamics is related to the ISG (Intelligent Stop `n Go) and european emissions.

Mine is a 2019 1.6 CRDi ISG DCT 134bhp

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the helpful replies, thought that Eco Dynamics actually meant something!
My current car has basic ISG, which just switches the engine off when stationary. Presumably a 48v car has an extra bigger battery. Does this kick in if you are crawling in stop and go traffic to aid fuel consumption?

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
@Pablo69 no it doesn't.
The 48V battery only provides power when accelerating, it sends power to a motor that is attached to the engine and helps the engine provide more drive. On de-acceleration the motor becomes a generator and sends power back to the battery. The same motor/generator also acts as the starter. Does it aid fuel consumption? In all honesty I don't believe it does, I had a 2.0 litre diesel before my current car and I'm getting more or less the same mpg. What I will say is pick up under acceleration is smooth and quick, ironing out any lag.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi MHEV GT-Line S DCT (2021)
6 Posts
@Pablo69 no it doesn't.
The 48V battery only provides power when accelerating, it sends power to a motor that is attached to the engine and helps the engine provide more drive. On de-acceleration the motor becomes a generator and sends power back to the battery. The same motor/generator also acts as the starter. Does it aid fuel consumption? In all honesty I don't believe it does, I had a 2.0 litre diesel before my current car and I'm getting more or less the same mpg. What I will say is pick up under acceleration is smooth and quick, ironing out any lag.
Hi Mr Macspot, I have had my 1.6 CRDi MHEV Auto for 2 weeks now and can confirm the above. I have set the display next to speedo to show the Hybrid system, I cannot find a setting for this on main display screen. Mine only pushes power if i accelerate hard and regenerates when slowing down with foot completely off the accelerator. During the whole time i have been driving it the Stop start has never stopped the engine, although the A light flashes on the dashboard sometimes.
Like Pablo i assumed it would be used when crawling in slow moving traffic when i bought it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MCharlie B
My 2019 1.6 has ISG which kicks in regularly for a maximum of about 30-40 seconds when stationary. It does'nt come on if the battery is not fully charged when using heated seats lights etc, or short journeys. Surprised your ISG has not come on at all?

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
The system is not designed to take over from the engine, all it does is assist the engine. I suspect that is why it advertised as a mild hybrid instead of a full hybrid, like the Nero hybrid.
The ISG on my car rarely works, which is fine with me, but be aware that when it does work the engine can stop while you are slowing down. This caught me out a couple of times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My ISG has never come on whilst the car is in motion. It has to physically stop and the ISG comes on about a second or two later. Funny how cars differ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts