Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

As a previous Rio owner I am now considering buying a 1.6 CRDi Ce'ed (113 BHP) having test driven it today and agreed a deal in principle subject to my sleeping on it.

Just wondered what the general consensus on this model is and whether there is anything in particular I should look out for. The steering did have a very slight pull to the left and they have committed to fixing this for me prior to buying it. It's the LS model with all the toys I need and is very low mileage and of course has a further 5 years to run on warranty.

Am torn between this and another Focus but the latter, at the same price point, have much higher mileage.

Any views and opinions welcome.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ive had one for 2 months an love it. I did have a C4 and the Kia engine is so refined by comparison. I dont think there are any specific issues with the CDRi oly generic Cee'd issues that you see on this and other forums.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi

Swapped a Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCi for a Ceed SW 1.6 CRDi a couple of months ago. Happy so far, the engine is more refined and the space is better than a C-Max which was in itself excellent. Performance is definitely better expecially when you press the loud pedal hard to get the extra "secret" travel of the pedal, economy looks to be about the same at 46mpg, should get better as the miles go on. Build qualityappears to be superior, no creaks or rattles yet but I guess there will be in time.

With regards to the pull to the left either the car or tyres are very camber and surface sensitive. On a dual carriageway/motorway it runs a strait as an arrow but on less perfect surfaces its preference is to want to go slightly left, tried moving over to theright side of the road where the camber is opposite, guess what, it pulls ever so slightly to the right. The Focus did exactly the same, worse on Continentals than Pirellis or Khumosbut that car did it on motorways as well.

All in all we are very happy with the car butthe Focus will be a hard act to follow, 5 years with no problems what so ever will take some beating.

Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
I swapped my Merc A-160 for a Ceed diesel auto in September and have been really happy apart from some of the oddities expressed on other threads.

The engine is superb and what really makes it.

My niggles are noise of the seat belt warning, the time it takes for heater to provide warmth on very cold mornings and the strange central locking system that doesn't unlock the rear passenger doors when you stop. It took me some while to figure out that you have to press the button on the dash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Previously had a Fiat (don't laugh) Punto., but traded it in towards Cee'd SW.

Love it. More poke, comfort and better fuel consumption (around 48 mpg).

Originally lookd for a second Sportage, but preferred the cee'd.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have been convinced and collect my Cee'd on Thursday this week - am well happy with it and the spec/quality of the car. I had options on other cars which I may have preferred but the spec on the Cee'd and the warranty were the showstoppers for me - all in all a great deal.

Can't wait for Thursday. Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You made a good choice. Had a CRDI LS SW since May and love it. Scarily powerful for a 1.6 at times although I've not found the "secret" bit on the go lever yet.
Must have a try when the snow is gone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car per se is fine. Had it back at dealers today with the dreaded 'steering pulling to left' issue that a few more have experienced. The Technician who looked at it agreed it is not great and felt that the steering is not aligned properly and the steering wheel is not fitted straight. Terrific.

Now that's a bit of a worry to me as the car, allegedly, went through a 75 point pre delivery check including a test drive so how on earth that was bot picked up is beyond me. It's booked in to get looked at later this month but I have already got grave doubts about whether the car is ok or whether indeed all Cee'd's are the same.

The car is fantastic but the steering feels incredibly heavy and it's actually causing me pain in my right arm having to correct the car's desire to pull to the left.

Is the steering on other Cee'ds heavy?

I am very tempted to trade it in despite only having had it a week. Not happy but just haven't got the patience for a long drawn out fight.

Edited by: Paulq

·
Registered
94 Posts
The steering of my Cee'd 3 SW is definitely not heavy. The only thing that did feel different to my previous car that had conventional power steering, was that the electric motor type power steering of the Cee'd feelsmore sensitive particularly at slow speeds.

This gave me the sensation of it almost responding to my thoughts about slightly changing direction rather than any movement of the steering wheel, its something I am used to now but its taken a few thousand miles before it has now become the normal for me.

Your problemsuggests there maybe a technical malfunction with your car ask the dealer to investigate.

I think almost all dealers tend to get a bit lax about the way they do pre-delivery checks mainly because the cars of almost any make are normally so good when they leave the factory the dealers checkers just assume yours will be the same without really checking every detail they perhaps are supposed to do.
Edited by: Eric

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree entirely - experience has taught me that dealers rarely do what they say they are going to.

What I don't get is that something so fundamental as a steering wheel not being straight can be missed. I am actually going to drive another, identical, Cee'd tomorrow to benchmark against mine. Either it will feel the same or it will tell me that my car has a problem that I am loath to go the distance and try and get resolved.

Pity as the car is otherwise fantastic.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi

Ceed steering is definitely not heavy, very similar to the previous C-Max, one handed parking no problem. Drove dad's 2007 Micra yesterday, the steering on that car has always appeared light but slightly remote, after the Ceed it felt very heavy at first, when I got back in the Ceed it was a pleasure to park it.

Have you checked to see if the car runs dead strait on a perfect Motorway surface, as noted above mine pulls left slightly on ordinary A roads etc but pulls slightly right if you cross onto the opposite side where camber is opposite. Could be the tyres or suspension design but the Focus did it as well.

Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As per message above car has been driven by me and by Kia technician with the resultant prognosis, by him, ref steering wheel and alignment. Personally I can't accept that cars 'just do this'. A basic tenet of cars is that they drive in a straight line and this one clearly does not.

The major gripe I have is that this was not spotted earlier. When I test drove it I pointed it out and it was down on the pre delivery schedule to fix it so it was flagged as a problem early. I think this car has an issue.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Re this pulling to the left have you or the maniac in the Kia garage swopped the front wheels over, left to right, right to left as this could be a tyre issue. My mate who has a Toyota Auris had this problem pulling to the left. He took it back to Toyota and they did a wheel alignment and said it was out slightly. But it stilled pulled to the left. I told him to swap the front wheels over but he took it back to dealers and they aligned it again after saying it was out slightly. Should have done it right in the first alignment. Anyway it still pulled to the left so I swapped the wheels over and hey presto it pulls slightly to the right now. Cause of pulling a tyre problem probably a warped belt in the tyre.
Try this Paulq you've nowt to loose.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take your point but mine is that the issue should have been picked up, investigated and corrected before I picked up the car. I didnt envisage buying a car with 11k miles on the clock and having to muck around with it so much.

Just disappointing and has shaken my confidence in the car quite a bit.

As an aside - what exactly are your consumer rights in terms of a refund for a used car if you are not happy with it within, say, a 14 day period?

·
Registered
226 Posts
My last car was a C4, aquired when it was 1 month old. It pulled to the left consistently until I got rid of it 5 years later. When Citroen had a go at fixing it all they succeeded in doing was making the steering wheel wonky and the car still pulled ot the left and they never noticed on the supposed test drive, thats if they did a test drive (=inept fools).
My Cee'd on the other hand drives in a strait line - as a car should.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yeh we all know they should have fixed it but they aint so why not try the wheel swap. It will only take you half hour tops. If this solves the problem then go back to the dealer and demand at least a tyre. If this cures it you will be alot happier will you not? The Ceed's a brilliant car and I would still have mine if it weren't for a job change and lower wages. Most garages hate these types of jobs especially under warranty as they can be time consuming and could be a multitude of things causing it. Water leaks are another pain in the ass for them.
DONT GIVE UP PAULQ. ffs

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was wondering if the pull to the left only happens under acceleration or if it does it at constant speed?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts