Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the 1.6 CRDi Engine in an 08 Cee'd? I mean is it designed & built by Kia, designed by someone else and built by Kia or designed and built by someone else and installed in the Cee'd?

E.g. the peugeot/citroen (DV6) 1.6 Hdi engine is used in a lot of non-French cars, such as the Mazda3, the Focus, the Mini and Volvo. Clearly the CRDi is not a peugeot/citroen DV6 engine, as its far too refined!!

Just wondering

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its designed and built by Hyundai who are the parent company of Kia. They have a whole range of engines used in both brand names e.g. Hyundai & Kia also other versions of similar engines for Marine use, static & mobileGenerators so they are quite big engine manufacturers, with engines for small to medium truck and bus as well. Edited by: Eric

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kia cars are a bit of a rarity in South Oxfordshire/Berks area as there aren't any local dealers. During the last two years when people have looked at either our Soul or Ceed SW, I have frequently been asked "who makes the engine?" and they are surprised when I reply "Kia do".I don't know why I've been asked this more than anything else.

It is a generalbeliefin the UK that Kia is a small brand. Not many know that Hyundai/Kia are the world's 4th largest motor manufacturer and growing faster than the other top 3.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The first diesel engine Hyundai used in a car was the 'U' engine with 3 cylinders and used in the Hyundai Getz.

It was 1.5l and designed joint by Hyundai and Daimler / Chrysler hence the term CRDI used in Chrysler and Hyundai / Kia.

Somewhere along the lines VM Motori was also in the development of the engine but I have no idea where they played a role in this.

After this then Hyundai / Kia started designing their own diesel engines hence the 4 cylinder 1.5l and 1.6l diesel engines.

That is about as much as I know regarding this.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Just another bit of info on engines. On early Kias like the 94 mentor it was a Mazda 8 valve petrol engine. The Mentor was based on the late 80s early 90s Mazda 323 and had the same suspension etc. I had a 95 mentor 1.6 for 6 years and it was a very reliable car and had no problems getting spares.

·
Registered
76 Posts
diddy1234 said:
The first diesel engine Hyundai used in a car was the 'U' engine with 3 cylinders and used in the Hyundai Getz.

The Mk1 Ceed 1.6 CDRi engine is called the "U1". The revised engine in the Soul and Mk2 Ceed is called the "U2".
Would be interested to know what the numbering on other Kia engines.

·
Registered
94 Posts
<UL>
<LI>This list was copied and pasted from Wikipedia I do hope thats allowed.</LI>
<LI></LI>
<LI>Straight-3
<UL>
<LI>U - 1.1L-Diesel</LI>[/list]</LI>
<LI>Straight-4
<UL>
<LI>A - 2.5L-Diesel</LI>
<LI>D - 1.5/2.0/2.2L-Diesel</LI>
<LI>J - 2.9L-Diesel</LI>
<LI>U - 1.5/1.6L-Diesel</LI>
<LI>R - 2.0/2.2L-Diesel</LI>
<LI>Saturn - 1.2/1.4L</LI>