Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 2008 Rio 1.5CRDi, owned from new and now with 39,000 miles on the clock. Around a month ago I got a nagging feeling that something wasn't right - it just felt a bit 'flat' on a part throttle - but my wife didn't think there was anything wrong.

Anyway, today she went out and when accelerating hard she heard a 'pop' and the car lost power. I wasn't in the car so have to rely on her description.

The engine would still run, but struggle to get to 20mph in second - with an abrupt loss of power making it very jerky.

No warning light came on at the time.

Unfortunately our trusted garage is shut until next week, so it'll have to wait until then to be fixed, but I wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar?

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Before today's problem I was thinking fuel filter, but expected a gradual deterioration, not sudden failure. Can fuel starvation come on like this? And what could the 'pop' be?

·
Registered
536 Posts
If its a pop with a massive loss of torque I can only assume something in the turbo plumbing as split/come off. Or maybe a vacum hose. Might be wrong but I certainly wouldn't try driving it anymore untill the problems been more thoroughly diagnosed. It could be something as simple of a burst dump valve diaphragm. Hopefully not to serious. deteriorating maybe an unrelated issue as you said, fuel filter ect. Keep us upto date.Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
A quick answer would be to plug it in and see what fault codes are showing or pending. The MIL doesn't always come on. I have just had a boost problem on my TDI Leon and the MIL did not light up but I plug into VagCom and it showed up as an overboost which points towards the wastegate valve/dump valve if you want to call it or worse case scenario Turbo. But boost was all resumed when I switched engine off then on again when it happend.
As Ritchie says it could be plumbing also.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Most likely just a hose has popped off or split, could be the vacuum hose on the EGR solenoid valve. The T peice which is plastic sometimes blocks up with soot/carbon so excess pressure will blow hose off as there are no clips securing them on. Just run a tiny drill bit through the t peice and reconnect vacuum hose. If there is any droning noise while driveing now you have heard the pop it may also be an intake hose from the air filter?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input so far - I can't do much with at the moment as I have to work outside and the weather's not too brilliant - but theidea that it's something like a hose makes sense.

I'll let you know what we find - ta

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick update on this - still no idea what's going on but a few more things found:

- The EGR seems to be an electric one, no vacuum hoses.
- The vacuum actuator on the turbo seems to be working as it should (this is a variable geometry turbo so no wastegate)
- Disconnecting the MAF sensor makes the car drive smoother but sluggishly - presumably this is putting it into limp-home mode and hence masking the fault - I don't interpret this as meaning the MAF is to blame.

Most interesting thing I've noticed is that there seems to be an oil leak somewhere below the oil cooler - the bottom hose seems to have oil sprayed along its length - and there's a coating of oil over the bottom of the engine bay on the left hand side. (I say oil, could be diesel). It's dripping onto the road when the car's parked which is what brought my attention to it. This is definitely something new, I saw oil/diesel on the road a few days ago but a different car had been parked there and I didn't make the connection.

I can't see where the leak is coming from, and I'm not going to start dismantling stuff - I can't for the life of me see how it could be connected, but it definitely correlates with the fault appearing.

Coolant looks to be a lovely deep green colour, oil is its usual black with no sign of water.

I'm not going to be the one who fixes this, ordinarily it would have been in the garage by now but it happened on Boxing day. But any clues I can give will help him get to the bottom of it.

Ta

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Check all fuel pipes going and coming from fuel filter . Also check the water sensor on the bottom of filter it could be weaping. This was on mine and it used to draw air in and cause poor running. A new water sensor was needed and cured the problem. I also had to renew the air bleed screw on filter housing cause the seal was cracked, I used fibre washers insread of a rubber one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another update - car's been in the garage today, thought it would be the lower intercooler hose but turns out it's the intercooler itself - apparently a £400 part from Kia.

He's crimped the fins back together and patched it for now (chemical metal, JB Weld or something like that) - if it holds then we can take our time sourcing a replacement.

Does anyone know of any possible sources for this part other than Kia? Also - there's a used one on ebay for a C'eed 1.6 which looks pretty similar - is it the same part?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's great ta - I'd tried searching for one at breakers and had no success so will look into it.
My wife's set on swapping the car now as she doesn't trust it anymore (I know, I know).....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Interesting how the intercooler could fail, there's no moving parts as far as I know...did it get hit by a stone?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Seams likely if it was a hole in the fins. Either that or malistious damage. Can't really fault the car for which you could consider accident damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts