Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I think I am falling in love with ceed, the more I look at it on autotrader. Just came here for a bit of advice and to see any potential problems this lineup of models may have. I have started commuting a lot lately with the new job, so I need a really good value for money (54miles a day and it will be around 14-15k miles a year).

Can someone explain thw difference between this 2 engines, apart from one having 90hp and the other 120hp or something. Are the seats comfortable for longer travelling and which one would you choose if in my situation? I am looking at 2014-2016 and about 6-8k price range?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you get one of the last 1.6 diesels with the free road tax then I'd go with that. having an extra 30hp in a car that weights 1400KG will make a difference. The 1.6crdi isn't exactly fast, especially consider the ridiculous 3rd gear ratio that means if going up hills you need to rev out 2nd gear a bit more otherwise you drop straight out of the 'boost'.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I was looking for a commuter car, I'd go for the 1.6crdi, post 2015 as that's after the mid-life refresh (read Autotrader and Honest John reviews) and slight power hike, preferably 3 spec or above - unless you're not too fussed about built-in sat nav and extra gizmos.
My wife has a 67plate Cee'd 4 Tech 1.6crdi and I've driven it on a few long journeys. It's a nice, comfortable place to be, the dash is well laid out and it's well put together. Performance is good and it's very smooth. I've not had an issue with the third gear ratio...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice guys, exactly the feedback I needed, much appreciated!

@TSY83 what kind of mpg does that ceed have at the moment, what can I expect on countryside road commute?
I am currently driving an old clio 1.5dci and it's hitting around 61mpg last couple of months...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I reckon you'd get about 44 - 48 MPG on a gentle country commute, but don't quote me on that as I don't drive the wife's Cee'd every day (I've got a Cee'd GT).
My wife had a 2016 Fiesta 1.5 TDCi before her Cee'd and that was hitting similar MPG to your Clio. The Cee'd is a bigger, heavier car though.
Take a look at Honest John Real MPG as it shows you the manufacturer claimed MPG vs. real world MPG members of the public are getting.

Things to check (from my experience):
  • Condition of brake discs as they can corrode
  • Rear spoiler nuts can come loose and fall off. Both mine and my wife's car have suffered from this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 1.6 crdi ceed 4 dct, I commute 80 miles a day, mostly motorway using the cruise control at around 70 mph. I get around 50 - 55mpg. Nice car to drive too, easily as good as the VWs I've previously had.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've not had an issue with the third gear ratio...
You can drive around it or not notice it, but I live in an area with a lot of steep hills, if you get the gear change wrong you basically have no power/turbo boost as it drops below 1500rpm. Something to consider if the original poster lives in a hilly area :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
what kind of mpg does that ceed have at the moment, what can I expect on countryside road commute?
When I first got the car I tracked it - Eco-Warrior (Kia Ceed) | Fuelly

I think you'll get around 50-55mpg if you drive stead and not lots of traffic. It's better in the spring/summer as the car warms up a lot quicker.

On the motorway, at 65mph over 200 miles, I once got just over 70mpg (fill to fill measure). Around a 20mile hilly rural to urban commute I get 40-42mpg. Driving across France I went from Le Havre to Carcassonne, 600miles, with loads of fuel to spare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts