Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The ISG on my new Venga hasn't worked yet. At first I thought it was due to cold weather although the "outside temperature" indicator showed 3 to 5degrees centigrade. All the other criteria for the ISG have been met, but still no joy.

My Venga was preregistered so it has been hanging around a bit which made me think about the battery condition. I have measured the battery volts with a quality digital multimeter and I find that the voltage on the battery terminals in the morning after the car has been in the garage, locked and immobilised overnight, to be 12.28 Vdc after reasonable use the day before. I have done this twice with similar results.

From previous knowledge of lead acid batteries, I believe 12.8 Vdc is considered fully charged, 12.2 Volts would be 50% charged and 11.6V dc to be fully discharged. Butare the AGM technology batteries the same? I don't know. It looks as if my battery is not getting above half charge and that may be the reason that the ISG isn't working.

Is there anyone out there with the same car and a half decent multimeter who could give me a voltage reading from their car so that I can compare? Does anybody know what the battery voltage criteria is for the ISG to work?

Your help would be appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,

Update on the previous. The car has been at the dealers today and they confirm low battery volts and a defective voltage sensor. Battery and sensor will be replaced (under warranty of course) and the suspected cause is incorrect jump starting,(by the dealership?)

Bob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi All,

Further update. The battery and the voltage sensor were replaced by the dealer last Wednesday and the ISG has worked perfectly since. I suspect the old voltage sensor was OK because after a very long journey, the ISG kicked in. The overnight battery voltage is now well over 12.6 Vdc.

The moral of the saga is " be careful how you jump start the car"

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts