Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have recently bought a second hand 5D Cee'd, 2010 model. I've noticed that the engine makes a ticking noise, noticeable inside the cabin. I have changed oils to 10W-30, however not oil filter. Furthermore, I have changed also the precat. My technician told me that this is normal noise for this engine.
I have uploaded several videos showing the problem closeup and from inside the cabin. The noise seems to come behind the engine. When I move with a speed in the gearbox without pressing the accelerator pedal, the noise is still noticable, when I press the clutch, the noise goes away. Idling and parked, the noise do not changing when I have pressed the clutch pedal. It's still that annoying tick tick tick, with a frequency very close to that of the revs (about 650 -> 11Hz)

Close up:

Inside the cabin:

Idling

From a search, this can be
  • Normal?
  • Valve clearance
  • Chain and chain tensioner
  • Fuel injectors
  • Something related with the precat and the precat heat shield
Any help will be kindly appreciated! Before getting the car to a technician, I would like to know more or less, what to search for.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why didnt you change the oil filter ? a nice clean one can only help the oil pressure.
I didn't change it because the mechanic told me not to change it. It has been changed by the previous owner, however I'm not sure if it is the genuine one.
Today I noticed that the noise reduces if I rev up the car a little bit more over 3000rpm. Usually I drive around 2000 rpm

·
Registered
915 Posts
It sounds like you have 2 issues there.
1. A small exhaust leak possibly behind the motor where you held the camera.
2. a normal tapping sound from the top of the motor, possibly tappets. Mine also has the tappet sound but not the exhaust leak type sound.

try feeling around for exhaust gas, use a piece of thread or similar to see if it is blown in any direction.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like you have 2 issues there.
1. A small exhaust leak possibly behind the motor where you held the camera.
2. a normal tapping sound from the top of the motor, possibly tappets. Mine also has the tappet sound but not the exhaust leak type sound.

try feeling around for exhaust gas, use a piece of thread or similar to see if it is blown in any direction.
I see, I assume that this problem is easy repairable?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to note that this ticking noise is noticeable only when the gas pedal is not pressed, when idling and when I cruising. In other words, when there is no load on the engine.

·
Registered
915 Posts
That's probably the timing chain. When there is load, the chain will probably be tightened and produce less noise, when without load it wont be stretched and can "rattle" a bit more. It is possible to fix this. I've never seen how the tensioner works on this motor, however it will probably cost quite a lot to do anything with it. Change the oil at least once a year in the future so it dosn't get any worse. I've noticed some tech info sources specify 5w-20 motor oil for this vehicle, that is a bit thin and probably wont help. Stick to the viscosities specified in the owners manual which will be a 5w-40, or 5w-30 for short trip driving.
Was there a exhaust leak?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think as far as the chain is got tensioned it will stay like this unless oil pressure drops.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That's probably the timing chain. When there is load, the chain will probably be tightened and produce less noise, when without load it wont be stretched and can "rattle" a bit more. It is possible to fix this. I've never seen how the tensioner works on this motor, however it will probably cost quite a lot to do anything with it. Change the oil at least once a year in the future so it dosn't get any worse. I've noticed some tech info sources specify 5w-20 motor oil for this vehicle, that is a bit thin and probably wont help. Stick to the viscosities specified in the owners manual which will be a 5w-40, or 5w-30 for short trip driving.
Was there a exhaust leak?
Here's the noise in idle from the driver's seat position
and the same from the passenger's side (right side)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Mine is the same..2015 venga 65 plate 1.4..more noticeable when it's very cold..just started mine 6 degrees with me at the mo with a chilling wind..

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
So, is it normal?
Definitely dont think its normal..I think its a tappet or chain thing..can hear a tapping in amoungst the clatter on mine when cold but it quietens a lot when hot..I think the clatter is probably the chain or tensioner and the tap I can hear a single tappet on one cylinder..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely dont think its normal..I think its a tappet or chain thing..can hear a tapping in amoungst the clatter on mine when cold but it quietens a lot when hot..I think the clatter is probably the chain or tensioner and the tap I can hear a single tappet on one cylinder..
The mechanic told me it's not either the chain or the chain tensioner. He told me also that the Gamma motors are notorious for being noisy. However, when outside it's cold (~10oC) the noise insists. When the car is under load the noise is not noticable. Can you record your engine and show us?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Buy a stethoscope and record some sounds through that too, if you can. I haven't seen how the vvt works onthis motor, however the vvt phase shifter can also produce clatter. Often on engines that have had extended oil change intervals, or had some work performed that has introduced dirt.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buy a stethoscope and record some sounds through that too, if you can. I haven't seen how the vvt works onthis motor, however the vvt phase shifter can also produce clatter. Often on engines that have had extended oil change intervals, or had some work performed that has introduced dirt.
Oh I see... It could be the CVVT, and noise is not such a problem I guess

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The noise is an insisting tapping noticeable also behind the wheels, which means that is at the lower part of the engine
Frequency is the same as the revs

·
Registered
419 Posts
HI Ares, for the cost of an oil filter you should have changed that so might be worth changing it before the oil gets too dirty.
On my diesel there is a clutch switch which when pressed changes the fuel rail pressure so might be why you state it goes away when clutch is pressed.
Does the noise change when you have the a/c on? as could be the clutch bearing on a/c compressor?, does the drive belt run smoothly or is the tensioner bouncy?, alternator overrun bearing could also be a problem which you have to remove drive belt to test (youtube video).
On my Mitsubishi evo tappet noise was a problem as on had 1mm oil ways which there had to modified to 3mm as it was common to get the tick tick noise when cold or idle, worth a can of Hydraulic valve lifter treatment to see if this clears the problem after changing oil filter.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HI Ares, for the cost of an oil filter you should have changed that so might be worth changing it before the oil gets too dirty.
On my diesel there is a clutch switch which when pressed changes the fuel rail pressure so might be why you state it goes away when clutch is pressed.
Does the noise change when you have the a/c on? as could be the clutch bearing on a/c compressor?, does the drive belt run smoothly or is the tensioner bouncy?, alternator overrun bearing could also be a problem which you have to remove drive belt to test (youtube video).
On my Mitsubishi evo tappet noise was a problem as on had 1mm oil ways which there had to modified to 3mm as it was common to get the tick tick noise when cold or idle, worth a can of Hydraulic valve lifter treatment to see if this clears the problem after changing oil filter.
Hi, I have changed the filter to the genuine one. This noise is noticeable when idling and no gear in the box OR when I decelerate with revs ~2000/min with a gear in the box. When the car is under load I can't hear that tapping. The noise seems to be from the bottom of the engine block, towards the back. My car does have climate control, not AC. I can't hear the noise when it's on due to the air blowing out. However, I can check the engine bay. The belt seems to run smoothly though (I think you mean the accessories belt).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Drive belt/ Aux belt same thing.
I have climate control too so you can either turn that all off or on mine you can also just turn a/c off on dash.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts