Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1.4 CRDI engine noise

8K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  sarah26 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post as a delighted first time Kia owner.I have had a Rio 2 1.4 CRDI for a month and have done just over 1000 miles.

I have a question that I wanted to run past the forum members before contacting the dealer.

When the engine has warmed up there is a strange noise between 1500 and 2000 rpm when pressing the accelerator pedal.
It seems to be coming from the left of the engine and I can't decide if it is an engine noise or an exhaust noise.
Has anyone else had experience of this?

Graeme.

#4 ·
Hi folks, thanks for the replies.This noise occurs before the turbo kicks in which I can also hear, although I like that particular noise.
It isn't very loud, my Wife hadn't even noticed it, and the stereo masks it.
I will give it another week or two and then pop into the dealer for a chat.
Although as it only happens when the engine gets hot maybe it will improve over Winter.

Graeme.

#8 ·
To me the noise sounds like when there is a small hole in an exhaust, although my wife says it sounds more mechanical like tappets rattling.
I just googled 'egr valve noises' and it seems plausible, I had wondered if it was a manifold problem which only happens when the exhaust heats up and expands.
I only drive the car a couple of times a week and will be driving it later today so will have a really good listen and also see if there is a change in performance or mpg.
This forum is brilliant, thanks for your help.

#9 ·
Hi Graeme,

Glad you like the forum, and I'm sure you will get all the help possible with any issues. I for one am always here, and always happy to be of any assistance if I can

Yeah, it does sound like the EGR, but lets see what you think after you have driven it again, now that you have read what EGR noises can sound like.

#10 ·
After paying more attention to the noise yesterday I have some more details:The noise happens between 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm.
It isn't the turbo,
It happens on pressing the accelerator pedal slightly harderthan normal for example when going up a hill or accelerating quickly.
It only happens when the engine has warmed up.
It only happens when the engine is in gear, I tested it in neutral both when moving and when stationary and there was no noise.
As regards engine performance it doesn't seem to change when the noise happens, and the mpg reading stays the same.
Both my Wife and I agree that it is a rattle but doesn'tsoundmetallic, and it seems to be coming from the left hand side.

I guess the bottom line is that if nobody else hasexperiencedthis I should take it into the dealer and see what they think.

Graeme.

#14 ·
After paying more attention to the noise yesterday I have some more details:The noise happens between 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm.
It isn't the turbo,
It happens on pressing the accelerator pedal slightly harderthan normal for example when going up a hill or accelerating quickly.
It only happens when the engine has warmed up.
It only happens when the engine is in gear, I tested it in neutral both when moving and when stationary and there was no noise.
As regards engine performance it doesn't seem to change when the noise happens, and the mpg reading stays the same.
Both my Wife and I agree that it is a rattle but doesn'tsoundmetallic, and it seems to be coming from the left hand side.

I guess the bottom line is that if nobody else hasexperiencedthis I should take it into the dealer and see what they think.

Graeme.
Hi. Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue. I have a 1.4 cdri and have EXACTLY the same problem. Like a mechincal vibration from the left hand passenger footwell. Happens exactly on 1500 revs regardless of what gear I'm in. And last till about 1750 revs and goes off. Only happens as described.. Under acceleration. No noise in idle revving/neutral.

#11 ·
Hi Graeme,

After reading your post, I agree that the best course of action now would be to take it back to your dealership and let one of their mechanics/technicians drive it while the motor is still warm. Hopefully their 'trained' ears will be able to recognise what it is and advise on a solution if required.

You may find that they say it's nothing to worry about, and that it's just something that happens now and again with these new engines as they become bedded in.

#13 ·
Yeah, speaking from past experiences, I have found that most new cars have the odd teething problem, and in most cases they are never serious, but like I said, to be on the safe side, I would let your dealership drive it and see what they think.

#16 ·
H

I yes... Finally got my car back yesterday.. With no noise.
OK.. They said it was the turbo.. They replaced that and then had to replace the linkage for the gate I assume. They don't give out too much info tbh. My car was in for another month, this is the run down of what happened.
They "replaced the turbo".. Still want happy.. They replaced the link arm on the turbo. Then my car wouldn't start... So they replaced the alternator.
Read into that what you will. My car is now great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.