Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to add a little more zip to the 1.25L Kappa II MPI I4 engine. Just that - a little more zip - nothing outrageous.

Any suugestions for proven upgrades, parts, and suppliers please?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure it's possible without spending £££'s. It's designed more for economy than speed.

I know your pain as there's very little excitement to the acceleration process. But, I do like how smooth the power delivery it. Speedo is smooth all the way up.

If you want to make it seem faster, whack in an aftermarket air filter. Will make it seem like its got a lot bhp.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Not sure it's possible without spending £££'s. It's designed more for economy than speed.

I know your pain as there's very little excitement to the acceleration process. But, I do like how smooth the power delivery it. Speedo is smooth all the way up.

If you want to make it seem faster, whack in an aftermarket air filter. Will make it seem like its got a lot bhp.
And you become Jason Plato over night..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Yes @ABliss, a replacement filter was my first thought - an ITG Pro Filter should give better throttle response although doesn't increase peak bhp. Followed by an off the shelf Quantum Tuning ECU remap. I was thinking about a custom cat-back exhaust, but I presume that would need a custom ECU remap???, which is proving hard to find for a non-performance car in my area.
And thanks @Phil in Wales, although rather than Jason I'd prefer Sir Stirling Moss who presented me with a trophy in the 1980s.
And thanks @KevG57, I'm used to revving the nuts off a 3 cylinder Fiesta to keep up with milkfloats. Good to hear the Kappa likes to be revved.

·
Registered
2017 Rio 1.0 TGDi 100PS
26 Posts
Tuning naturally aspirated cars is expensive for a few bhp. And the smaller the engine the smaller the gains. It can be done of course but you have to think about whether it will be cost effective.

My older car I have done loads to - started with the air filter as always hah, but it crept to having a full stainless exhaust, cams, custom inlet manifold, as well as a quaife limited slip diff, springs, dampers, anti roll bars and most of the bushes so it's a totally different drive to how it was originally. I must have spent thousands over the years.

The exhaust silencer is probably the one thing that I wish I had kept standard because now that I'm not in my 20s I could do without the noise. Think carefully about going 'performance' with the silencers.

There may be room to play with the manifold but again its ££ and usually awkward installation. The cast OEM ones are not usually the optimum length, fabricated ones generally have longer headers (space permitting) which is better for N/A as there is better scavenging between cylinders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wise words @Rio_Jimbo. I'm not going overboard with this. If it was all out performance I wanted I'd start with another car! Superchips said their ECU remap will work with any reasonable air filter and cat-back exhaust swap so I've probably got all my bolt on options. Just depends on how much I want to spend to gain those few extra bhp.

·
Registered
803 Posts
As Jimbo posted - be wary of exhaust mods - all the 'boy racer' cars I have seen/heard over the last few years just sound horrible,small engines with the equivalent of a blowing exhaust just sound strange.
Be Different if it was a V8 of course :)

Reactions: kiask

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wise words @Rio_Jimbo. I'm not going overboard with this. If it was all out performance I wanted I'd start with another car! Superchips said their ECU remap will work with any reasonable air filter and cat-back exhaust swap so I've probably got all my bolt on options. Just depends on how much I want to spend to gain those few extra bhp.
Keep us updated on what you do. Would be good to see what affect these mods actually do.

On a side note, if you want to go faster just take the rear seats out haha. Bigger breaks, grippy tyres and uprated suspension should allow you corner at higher speeds also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would be interested to know if you did the Superchips thing and any comments you have. I'm not a Picanto owner yet but expect a GT Line to be my next car and trying to decide between the 1.2 and the GDI. I'm not chasing silly performance, the GDI figures look fine but I prefer old-school revvy engines to the turbo character - purely personal preference. So if this map gives the 1.2 just a few more beans it would be of interest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would be interested to know if you did the Superchips thing and any comments you have. I'm not a Picanto owner yet but expect a GT Line to be my next car and trying to decide between the 1.2 and the GDI. I'm not chasing silly performance, the GDI figures look fine but I prefer old-school revvy engines to the turbo character - purely personal preference. So if this map gives the 1.2 just a few more beans it would be of interest.
I didn't remap my car in the end as it turned out to be a dog; Friday afternoon build or previously thrashed well beyond its indicated mileage would suggest. It also has a loud droaning sound coming from the wider tyres on this model that may be helped by soundproofing under the carpet and dashboard, but not something I want to tackle and no offers from local companies to do. So I haven't thrown good money (Superchips) after bad. When able I will trade in the car for something else. Shame, I had high hopes :-(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts